rear end going out? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > rear end going out?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-01-2009, 07:02 AM   #1
whitie_08
1991 YJ Wrangler 

rear end going out?

well this isnt exactly regarding my yj, but it is my brother's zj. yes i could go to that forum but it should be the same concept, yj or zj with a d35.

what are some characteristics of a bad rearend?

what if it came with a factory limited slip? would it act up if it were wearing out, or just silently turn in to an open diff?

ive never experienced it so i dont know what it would do, and we are trying to figure out a "clunk" that has happened a couple of times, and seems to be coming from the back side of his jeep.

Unread 10-01-2009, 07:10 AM   #2
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I don't have a YJ but it is the same end, and the same concept. A worn Trak-Lock would just simply be open. It uses clutches and if the clutches aren't working it will just run open.

Clunking, grinding, metal on metal sounds, heat. All signs that something is wrong. It doesn't take much to open it up and take a look. Just some new gear oil and some rtv. Put it up on jack stands and chuck the front wheels. Rotate the axle. If the other side rotates the same direction the Limited slip will engage, if it rotates opposite, then it is worn out. You can also inspect the ring gear. It has been a while but I believe Trak-Lock still has spider gears as well.

Pull the cover and take a look.

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 07:10 AM   #3
zdox11
2000 XJ Cherokee 

i would pull the diff cover and inspect the gears. also make sure the braces that keep the diff in are tight and at the recommended torque. you can spin the tires and look for alignment issues with the pinion and the ring.
zdox11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Take off the driveshaft at the pinion yoke and spin it by hand, check for play and spin the tires some. If you feel any kinks I would pull the diff cover.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Check your trackbar bushings if you still have one .

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 09:55 AM   #6
whitie_08
1991 YJ Wrangler 

will do it saturday morning
thanks guys.

luckily he doesnt have to drive it that much right now, so it will gice us time to check things out.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.