Rear Driveshaft Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear Driveshaft Replacement

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #1
tenghensen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Rear Driveshaft Replacement

Hi. I have a 95 YJ that I am trying to find a replacement driveshaft for. I am just looking for an OEM replacement and I would like to buy it used because the cost is about 1/4 of a new one. There's a ton of them on Ebay, ranging from 14-15.5 inches, and many of the listings say either smaller or bigger yoke.

My YJ also has about 3 inches of lift on it, so I was thinking that going for a 15.5 inch would help out with the stretch and angle problems.

However, I am still stuck on trying to figure out the whole smaller vs. bigger yoke deal. I have done a decent amount of research on the NP231 and haven't found any mention of different size yokes. If anyone has any insight on this, that would be greatly appreciated.

-T

tenghensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 04:57 AM   #2
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The slip yoke part is the same size. The only difference is the size of the u-joints (1310 vs 1330).
You just need to be sure the u-joint that connects to the rear diff is the right size.
You can buy conversion joints if needed to adapt 1310 to 1330.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 10:14 AM   #3
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenghensen
Hi. I have a 95 YJ that I am trying to find a replacement driveshaft for. I am just looking for an OEM replacement and I would like to buy it used because the cost is about 1/4 of a new one. There's a ton of them on Ebay, ranging from 14-15.5 inches, and many of the listings say either smaller or bigger yoke. My YJ also has about 3 inches of lift on it, so I was thinking that going for a 15.5 inch would help out with the stretch and angle problems. However, I am still stuck on trying to figure out the whole smaller vs. bigger yoke deal. I have done a decent amount of research on the NP231 and haven't found any mention of different size yokes. If anyone has any insight on this, that would be greatly appreciated. -T
On our rigs we have a larger yoke on the rear diff and a smaller yoke on the np231. Iirc, the front three yokes are 3.5" and the rear one is 4" or like said above. Front are 1310 rear is 1330.
Just out of curiosity, what happened to yours?
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 10:10 PM   #4
tenghensen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help guys. I know that I have the larger rear yoke, so I might need to look into the conversion u joint.

@bigboss- It's honestly kind of embarrassing, but I lifted my rig about 5.5 inches without doing anything to the driveline because I had done it incrementally and not had any issues. Suddenly it developed a nasty vibration about 4 months after the most recent lift and within about a hundred miles the rear u-joint blew up.

I got a truck and so I decided to lower the yj back down to about 3 inches and just put a stock driveshaft back in and sell her.
tenghensen is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.