rear driveshaft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > rear driveshaft

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 12-11-2001, 02:29 PM   #1
byj92

rear driveshaft

apparently there's a lot of extra torque placed on the driveshaft when you put 35x12.50's on your YJ...who knew... anyway i had to send my driveshaft to the doctor to be rebuilt cause it flew off and of course the yoke was ate to he11 so i had to get a new one of those too...does anybody have a "how-to" on installing them? the driveshaft seems easy enough seems to just slip into the tranny and then the shaft just gets bolted to the yoke...but i'm not completely sure...and the yoke...NO CLUE ON THAT ONE...and if anybody has any suggestions on how to prevent this...maybe help make things a little more stable to prevent this from happening any time soon...the doctor said that it was a common problem on jeeps with tires 31" and up so i'm sure SOMEBODY else has experienced this...thanks guys

byj92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2001, 08:44 PM   #2
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

There's a big bolt dead center in the yoke. It comes off easiest with an impact wrench. There's a crush sleeve that should be replaced and then the bolt put back on and torqued to spec (I don't know the torque spec off the top of my head). But, I know of several times where the bolt was removed, the yoke replaced and bolted back on till it was "good'n'tight". I'm not saying I recommend it and any other disclaimer that goes along with public advice. But I've done it and not had a problem and have watched others do the same.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2001, 12:11 AM   #3
jeffy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well, for crush sleeve's you're supposed to record the torque with a lbs-in torque wrench. Then reproduce that . Shims aren't as crucial, and "Goodntight" works fine if you've done a few. You don't want to overtighten the bearing preload on a Crush sleeve design. From what I remember the sleeve sets the pinion depth and bearing preload.
Unread 12-16-2001, 10:20 PM   #4
IBjeepN4mud

I giggle when I read when someone else has lost a drive shaft. I had a 92 with a slip yoke eliminator and had a small vibration driving at highway speeds. My brother was behind me in his 91 jeep cruzing at 65mph.
While talking on cb I asked if he felt a vibration maybe due to the road. Then I heard a loud pop bang and was loosing power. The rear view showed my drive shaft in 2 pieces tumbling down the road. Thanks to the SYE I picked up my shaft and locked into 4wd and drove home off the front wheels. My point is if you have a lift you need a CV joint drive shaft to help correct the steep angle that gives you the vibration.
4th jeep ??????????? Still looking
IBjeepN4mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2001, 06:33 AM   #5
Nightshift

The only way i now to get away with drive shaft is:slip yoke eliminator and cv joint
It may be expensive but it worth it.
37-12.5-15 Super swamper SSR on
15x8 6 stud Jimmy rim
Next mod:Gear&Locker/360 AMC engine

2002 LIBERTY LTD (FREEDOM)
Nightshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2001, 09:27 AM   #6
geepYJ95

This might sound like a stupid question...but what does a Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE) and a CV joint do exactly??
[B]Green Jeep Club Member #14[/B]

'95 YJ Sahara Edition, green w/ tan hard and soft tops, Flowmaster 40 series, New cat, 2 10"eclipse subs, pioneer cd deck, and Xtant A series 6001 amp.
geepYJ95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.