Rear Driveshaft - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear Driveshaft

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 01-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #16
DEERSLAYER94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost a jeep View Post
I've been watching videos and everyone is right, they make it look pretty simple, but it always does on someone else's video. I'm sure everyone has their own opinions but is there a reason to go with one certain kit over another brand? Ebay has a couple that are pretty inexpensive.
I went with rugged ridge a few years back and all is still well. Was a fairly easy job however, I do suggest taking the T-case out of your jeep and installing the SYE on a work bench. Only issue I remember having was removing and installing the snap rings, your def. gonna want that tool. Then once your all done, blue or black RTV, and tighten all your bolts to spec.

Nightcrew Member #093

DEER--- It's whats for supper!!
DEERSLAYER94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #17
mazyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with the just save your money until you can do it right argument, but if its really bothering you until then either buy or make a transfer case drop.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16006_100.htm

Honestly you can make one from a couple dollars of steel, a few longer bolts, and a drill.
Unread 01-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #18
DEERSLAYER94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazyj View Post
I agree with the just save your money until you can do it right argument, but if its really bothering you until then either buy or make a transfer case drop.

Honestly you can make one from a couple dollars of steel, a few longer bolts, and a drill.
good call with the T-case drop, cheap and easy fix for angle reduction
Nightcrew Member #093

DEER--- It's whats for supper!!
DEERSLAYER94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #19
Almost a jeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazyj View Post

Good point on the transfer case drop, kind of forgot about the simple fixes.

Surprisingly, my wife just said "If you need it, get it". Well of course I need it.
Unread 01-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #20
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Doing the install is easy. I did it never taken one part. Just followed instructions. And yes it is as easy as the videos show. I found one back a few years ago it was 199 and delivered for about 10. If you shop around you can get one for about that price or a little less. I would watch out for the ones that really drop below the 175 or less. Just make sure you get the spline count.

If you just do a TC drop 1/2 washers stacked even will do a good job for a drop.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #21
Almost a jeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well, after everyone's advice and sweet talking my wife, I recieved and installed my SYE with the case still in. Not a horrible job to do. Waiting for my cv driveshaft to come and trying to get ahead of the game. Is there any way to determine which shims I need, prior to getting my new shaft? By my way of thinking, if I measure my pinion flange (8.8) angle, than run a straight edge from the center of the axle housing to the transfer case output shaft, measure that angle than subtract the two, shouldn't that be my shim degree? Now, please point out the flaws in my plan. As always, thanks for the advice.
Unread 01-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #22
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you have the 8.8 you should reweld the perches instead of using shims.
Unread 01-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #23
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
If you have the 8.8 you should reweld the perches instead of using shims.
I agree. I used shims when I did my SYE when I still had my 35. They creak and pop like crazy. I was releived when I did my 8.8 and welded the perches correctly.
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2012, 04:38 AM   #24
Almost a jeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Agreed, re-welding is the best option but I've used shims and never had a problem with them before and it would sure be a lot easier and faster. Again, is my theory even close to right to determine angle?
Unread 01-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #25
Almost a jeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Finally all done! SYE and CV driveshaft all installed and took it for its first test drive tonight in the snow storm we're having. All looks and feels good. After having concerns about the difficulty of installing the SYE, I would encourage anyone with some mechanical skills, to do this themselves. Also, for what it's worth, bought my driveshaft and SYE from www.adamsdriveshaft.com and couldn't be happier with their service and prices. Spoke with the owner on the phone and he was very helpful. Even got a free tshirt. Just wanted to throw that out there for another option on driveshafts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.