Rear Driveshaft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear Driveshaft

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!

Unread 12-31-2011, 07:05 AM   #1
Almost a jeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Rear Driveshaft

I have a 3 inch lift and an 8.8 with no SYE. I know that the SYE is what I need for sure but like a lot of others, short on funds for now by the time I purchase the SYE and driveshaft. Still running the stock driveshaft with slip yoke and I pretty much have no vibes, amazingly. The problem is, the slip yoke is pulled out of the transfer case at least an inch or inch and a half further than it was with the stock 35. So, with the lift and the 8.8, I think the slip yoke is pretty close to coming all the way out if the rear end is at full drop. I did let it hang and it stayed in but it has to be close. So, custom made driveshaft a little longer? Someother type of driveshaft (double ujoints, etc)? Is there a stock shaft that can be cut down from another vehicle?Sorry, not real versed in driveshaft types and names. As always, thanks for any advice.

Unread 12-31-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Just try not to get in a situation where you might pull the driveshaft out until you can get the SYE and new driveshaft. No sense in spending a little money now to make do just to spend it again months later.
Unread 12-31-2011, 08:39 AM   #3
parkerm26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

you can get driveshafts lengthened. They basically cut your yokes out and use a longer piece of driveshaft stock. I'm going to repeat what scubamc said, NOT worth it. keep it in your pants for a few paychecks
Unread 01-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
Almost a jeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Agreed. Smart money is to wait and be careful but it's one of those things that's always in the back of your mind everytime I wheel. Who knows how long until the SYE is going to be an option, but thanks.
Unread 01-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well let's see about 200 for sye and 40-50 for a xj front drive shaft at a junk yard. the about 125-150 to get it resized and balanced your are at 400 total for the right driveshaft and sye. Now if you really want to save money get under there and do all the work it's not that much.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
Well let's see about 200 for sye and 20 for a xj front drive shaft at a junk yard. the about 90 to get it resized and balanced your are at 310 total for the right driveshaft and sye. Now if you really want to save money get under there and do all the work it's not that much.
Fixed some of it for ya because if the OP was that interested in saving money, he would be able to source things out at the corrected prices or maybe cheaper.
Unread 01-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
bikerdude
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I totally understand about money being short but if it is close to coming out at full droop, there is a good chance of it binding or snapping the slip yoke which in turn can break the tail housing among other things. That can be even more expensive in the long run.
bikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
bikerdude
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If it were me, I would either get the driveshaft lengthened now or remove it, seal the tailhousing with something to prevent leaking and drive with the front shaft only while saving for a SYE.
I would be afraid of breaking other stuff driving it as is.
bikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Another problem to watch for is breaking the U-joint straps. With your current setup, you can easily bind the shaft on the slip-joint and put undue stress on the rear U-joint. This will stretch the strap and cause the U-joint to come off the yoke shortly.

As mentioned, just *****-foot it till you can fix it correctly.
Unread 01-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #10
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

which perches did you use on the 8.8? some have extra holes and you can move the axle forward 1"
or, drill a couple of new holes.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #11
Almost a jeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob View Post
which perches did you use on the 8.8? some have extra holes and you can move the axle forward 1"
or, drill a couple of new holes.
I cut and reused the perches off of my 35, never thought of trying to move the axle forward. However, as mentioned above, the price for the SYE and driveshaft isn't as bad as I would have guessed. I have never paid anyone to work on my Jeep and don't want to, I have just never gotten into a TC before, kind of scary. I think I just need to bite the bullet and stop trying to "FRUGAL" and take short cuts. Frugal is what I call myself, but my wife calls me cheap.
For those who have done the SLE, is it really doable for someone who has never gotten into a case before? I've rebuilt a couple of SBC's when I was a kid, worked on old farm tractors, used to work in a semi-tractor fleet shop and feel pretty confident in my mechanical abilities, just never taken a case apart before.
Unread 01-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #12
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

advance adapters has a video on you tube showing the sye install, check it out, the guy makes it look easy

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost a jeep

I cut and reused the perches off of my 35, never thought of trying to move the axle forward. However, as mentioned above, the price for the SYE and driveshaft isn't as bad as I would have guessed. I have never paid anyone to work on my Jeep and don't want to, I have just never gotten into a TC before, kind of scary. I think I just need to bite the bullet and stop trying to "FRUGAL" and take short cuts. Frugal is what I call myself, but my wife calls me cheap.
For those who have done the SLE, is it really doable for someone who has never gotten into a case before? I've rebuilt a couple of SBC's when I was a kid, worked on old farm tractors, used to work in a semi-tractor fleet shop and feel pretty confident in my mechanical abilities, just never taken a case apart before.
Yes, its not hard. You don't get into the front gear section at all. In essence you are just pulling off the back case half, pulling the output shafts, swapping a couple pieces from the stock output to the new and then putting it all back together.

The only "specialty" tool needed is snap ring pliers.

11 Ram 2500 - H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #14
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Installing a SYE is one of the simplest things you can do on your jeep. No kidding! If you buy a good quality kit too they come with very easy to understand instructions. Trust me when your done you will say wow that was easy. Now I recomend removing it from the jeep and doing it on a bench its hard to torque the yokes while still in the jeep. Just my .02
Unread 01-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
Almost a jeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've been watching videos and everyone is right, they make it look pretty simple, but it always does on someone else's video. I'm sure everyone has their own opinions but is there a reason to go with one certain kit over another brand? Ebay has a couple that are pretty inexpensive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.