rear defroster or not - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > rear defroster or not

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 09-09-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
boaty1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

rear defroster or not

ok, I just bought another yj for the full doors and hardtop. I installed it on my jeep and my jeep doesnt have the correct wiring. I did remove all of the wiring from the donor jeep, but there isnt anywhere to plug it in. I have 1 of the same plugins under the dash but not both. My other question is Do all hardtops have a rear defrost? I dont think mine does. The glass in my liftgate does not have the lines that go across.
If I dont have a rear defrost, can I just run a toggle switch to operate my dome light and another for my rear wiper.
Otherwise I would like to figure out how to wire up the whole thing. I kept all the wiring and the switches and hose from the donor.

THANKS TO ALL...

http://www.mousebreaker.com/games/funkytruck/play.php

90 yj, new reman 4.2 ax15, weber 32/36, 2 1/2" RC lift, discos, 1" boom shackles, tcase drop (I HAD TOO). homemade flares.
boaty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boaty1 View Post
ok, I just bought another yj for the full doors and hardtop. I installed it on my jeep and my jeep doesnt have the correct wiring. I did remove all of the wiring from the donor jeep, but there isnt anywhere to plug it in. I have 1 of the same plugins under the dash but not both. My other question is Do all hardtops have a rear defrost? I dont think mine does. The glass in my liftgate does not have the lines that go across.
If I dont have a rear defrost, can I just run a toggle switch to operate my dome light and another for my rear wiper.
Otherwise I would like to figure out how to wire up the whole thing. I kept all the wiring and the switches and hose from the donor.

THANKS TO ALL...
No they don't. No lines-no rear defroster. Does the HT have a plate in driver's side corner? The plug may be inside. Does your tub harness have a plug tucked into the drivers side corner of the tub for the HT? Sometimes it is tucked up under the edge of the tub.
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
boaty1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
No they don't. No lines-no rear defroster. Does the HT have a plate in driver's side corner? The plug may be inside. Does your tub harness have a plug tucked into the drivers side corner of the tub for the HT? Sometimes it is tucked up under the edge of the tub.
The hard top has the plugin. My problem is that my jeep doesnt have both plugins under the dash.

90 yj, new reman 4.2 ax15, weber 32/36, 2 1/2" RC lift, discos, 1" boom shackles, tcase drop (I HAD TOO). homemade flares.
Unread 09-10-2008, 08:09 AM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boaty1 View Post
The hard top has the plugin. My problem is that my jeep doesnt have both plugins under the dash.
I have a '95 YJ so there may be a difference. There is a blank space in the lower dash area under the speedometer:

It holds the switches for your fogs, rear defroster, and rear wiper/washer. That plate has three 'impressions' on the back that can be cut out with a razor knife. On my jeep the fogs were already there. When I added a hard top to the YJ I wanted the rear defrosters and the wiper/washers also. The plugs were already there on my dash harness. (You do not have the rear defrosters. They are wired in a special fashion through a timer relay).

I'll ask again, does the tub harness have the plug that mates to the HT plug? It may also have a rubber tube for the rear washers. You did not say it did or didn't. If it does, then you should have the plugs under the dash to mate to the switches you need to run the rear wipers/washer. That ststement is based on the premise that no wiring harnesses have been changed out or altered.
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #5
boaty1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

OK. I now know that my hardtop does NOT have a rear defrost. My problem is this. My jeep is a 90yj 4.2I6. I installed a hardtop from a 93yj 2.5litre. I kept all of the hardtop wiring. Yes the rear corner has the plug in. The problem is that I dont have anywhere to plug in the wiring harness under my dash. When I removed the wiring from the 93 it plugged into a group of wires in a GREY connector and also a group of wires in a BLACK connector. On my 90 yj that the hardtop is now on, there are no GREY or BLACK connectors under the dash. If all there is on my hardtop is a wiper and washer and a dome light can I just run some toggle switches for thes.
YES I have the rubber washer hose. YES I have the washer bottle meant for 2 seperate locations. It would be very helpful if someone could tell me what wires are what so I can just run some new switches.

THANK YOU.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.