Rear defroster - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear defroster

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-02-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
JimmySystem
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Rear defroster

So the rear window on my hard top has a rear defroster on it with a plug coming out, but the Jeep isn't wired for one. Has anyone else wired their Jeep for a defroster? My Haynes manual isn't much help, so is there a write up or some sort of instructions out there?

JimmySystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 11:36 PM   #2
DiabloYJ
2004 WJ 

I was wondering this as well. Especially since I just located what I believe is the wiring harness for the hardtop on another Jeep at the junkyard. I just haven't had a chance to go back and grab it yet to give it a shot on mine.

GD Thread HIJACKERS Member #1

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

-Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Sport View Post
Sometimes I wish I had leaf springs.
DiabloYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Information already posted can be found by using the Search this forum function at the top of the list of threads.

Here you go:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...arness-866334/

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
JimmySystem
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info, winter might not be so bad now.
JimmySystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmySystem View Post
Thanks for the info, winter might not be so bad now.
I just had a 'brain fart'. The information I is offered is for later model YJ's Probably '91 to '95, most definiately '93 to '95 YJ's.

You have an '89 YJ and I am almost positive that it is wired up in a different manner. There might be a space for the rear defroster TIMER relay in the Power Distribution Center (PDC). I believe that there is a seperate wiring harness for the rear defroster also that does not have any relay in it like the newer YJ's have.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 11-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #6
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Check this out: Note post #11 by JBOLTY. I think he posted the information you need.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/9...p-rear-629399/

Unread 11-04-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Before you get all excited I would check it and make sure that it might even work after you apply power to it. Get the multimeter out and check that you have a good circuit on the window.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 06:54 PM   #8
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The older Yj's had a diferent set up than what we have showed you. I think that JBOLTY is offering basically the same information I have done. The earlier Yj's had a different set up for sure. There was two fuses under the dash on the fuse panel that protected the circuitry and there was also a TIMER realy involved. I think it might have been located under the dash but that is just speculation on my part. A FSM for that vehicle would map out all of this for you. One thing I am fairly sure of is that the rear hardtop wiper/defroster wiring was different in the early YJ's than the one in the newer YJ's.

Here is a link to one for sale on EBAY (which is way expensive!) Jeep Wrangler YJ Hard Top Wiring Harness 1989:eBay Motors (item 230358055385 end time Nov-13-09 09:59:38 PST)

EDIT: This is what the tub harness looks like for the newer YJ's. Note the red timer relay and it's red socket are paret of the tub harness.

Unread 11-04-2009, 07:15 PM   #9
UnFocused
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've got an '89 and Laybackman provided much info to me to get it wired. There should be a red plug under the dash to the right of the steering column near the heater controls connected to nothing; that will connect to the defroster switch and was part of the standard dash wiring harness. The wiring from it routes to a 3 wire plug above and to the left of the fuse box, also connected to nothing. Might be wrapped in foam and buried someplace up in there.

Check to see if there is a red relay socket near and above the emergency brake pedal; if it's there, that's for the 10 minute defroster timer relay and your jeep came from the factory with that option installed. If the red socket is missing (which is probably the case), you'll have to buy the entire harness, complete with socket and relay, over Ebay or from a junk yard as others said; I got mine from a yard for $50.

Regardless of the results, here's the diagram Laybackman provided:

http://home.comcast.net/~laybackman/95YJ_reardef.pdf

If you're unsure of the wire colors, pull the relay and look very closely on the bottom next to the pins. It's hard to see, you'll need to have the light just right, but they are numbered 1 through 5. Those correspond to the small numbers on the above diagram; then you can trace the harness to the relay.

Thanks again Lbm!!
UnFocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 06:35 AM   #10
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnFocused View Post
I've got an '89 and Laybackman provided much info to me to get it wired. There should be a red plug under the dash to the right of the steering column near the heater controls connected to nothing; that will connect to the defroster switch and was part of the standard dash wiring harness. The wiring from it routes to a 3 wire plug above and to the left of the fuse box, also connected to nothing. Might be wrapped in foam and buried someplace up in there.

Check to see if there is a red relay socket near and above the emergency brake pedal; if it's there, that's for the 10 minute defroster timer relay and your jeep came from the factory with that option installed. If the red socket is missing (which is probably the case), you'll have to buy the entire harness, complete with socket and relay, over Ebay or from a junk yard as others said; I got mine from a yard for $50.

Regardless of the results, here's the diagram Laybackman provided:

http://home.comcast.net/~laybackman/95YJ_reardef.pdf

If you're unsure of the wire colors, pull the relay and look very closely on the bottom next to the pins. It's hard to see, you'll need to have the light just right, but they are numbered 1 through 5. Those correspond to the small numbers on the above diagram; then you can trace the harness to the relay.

Thanks again Lbm!!

You are quite welcomed!

That rear defroster is nice isn't it!?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.