Rear crossmember repair / replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear crossmember repair / replacement

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
trucknut
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Rear crossmember repair / replacement

Hey guys,

I'm sure someone in the salt belt has encountered this problem before with a YJ.
The crossmember by the rear wheels that supports the front of the gas tank and tank skidplate assembly has completely rotted off on both sides causing the front of the gas tank to drop coming to a rest on the rear axle! Currently it is being held up by a ratchet strap... My local dealer tells me the crossmember is no longer available through Jeep... anyone know where i can purchase this part? I would prefer to fix it somewhat properly but if need be i will fab something to hold it, god i just love rust

My Save the YJ from the junkyard project...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-94-rebuild-thread-747404/

2001 Toyota Tundra TRD
trucknut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
bob082484
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mines startin to go too. I was thinkin of long bolts through the floor of the body as a temporary fix. A more permanent fix would be to find a piece of metal as wide as the inside of the frame rails and either find a way to bolt it to the sides or weld it.
bob082484 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
Ben_88Jeep
2010 JK Wrangler 

I do know that the guys at Gemini-Sales.com in B.C. have used replacement crossmembers for about 50 bux. Less snow n' salt over here on the west coast, so maybe that'll do the trick for ya....
Ben_88Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #4
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

not sure if these are what your looking for or not
http://www.quadratec.com/products/22508_02_07.htm
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
trucknut
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob082484 View Post
Mines startin to go too. I was thinkin of long bolts through the floor of the body as a temporary fix. A more permanent fix would be to find a piece of metal as wide as the inside of the frame rails and either find a way to bolt it to the sides or weld it.
I noticed mine going about a month ago really bad, i removed the hard top, unbolted all body mounts, wrapped some chain falls around the rear roll bars and lifted the body off the back, i welded a patch over a large tear in the crossmember on the passengers side... the other day the drivers side let go and ripped the patch clean off on the passengers side to deystroying what was left of the crossmember, the "through the floor" fix is something i am considering for now too, i was going to put a piece of diamond plate aluminum over the rear section of the floor to give it added strength...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_88Jeep View Post
I do know that the guys at Gemini-Sales.com in B.C. have used replacement crossmembers for about 50 bux. Less snow n' salt over here on the west coast, so maybe that'll do the trick for ya....
Thx i will check them out, shipping would likely be very high since i am on the east coast (Saint John, New Brunswick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
not sure if these are what your looking for or not
http://www.quadratec.com/products/22508_02_07.htm
Nope thats not it, between the actual frame rails by the rear wheels just slightly behind the rear axle, the front of the gas tank and gas tank skid plate actually bolt to the crossmember, i will post some pics soon, dark and raining here at the moment...

My Save the YJ from the junkyard project...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747404

2001 Toyota Tundra TRD
trucknut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #6
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

you need a welder friend, just looked at mine (love the texas rust free zone ) and it would be easy to fab up a replacement, even if you have to add some mounting pads to the frame rails because of rust there too. just need a mig, maybe a muffler shop could help ya out, bring them the needed metal, and they weld it in for ya???
Sold) 94 YJ, 4.0L 5 sp manual, Hard top, 33/12.50s, 4.10 ring&pinions, Polished D30 w/Aussie front, 8.8 rear w/ LS, 2.5" RC, 2" BL, 5/8" booms, TJ flares, SYE, custom F/R bumpers and rock sliders, 8k winch, dual optimas, HO alt.

2) (Sold) 99 TJ, mustang 5.0 GT 40, AX15/231J, trektop, 37x12.50r17 cooper STT, superlift 6" long arm, D30/44 w/ ARBs & yukons, customized warn bumpers, custom sliders, 12K winch w/ synthetic rope, custom paint

3) 2007 JKU being built now
texas_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

mines almost gone too, something pre fabbed would be nice but it woudnt be too hard to make either
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2009, 08:06 PM   #8
bob082484
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just started work on repairing mine today. Picked up some bar stock and a couple L brackets and came up with this. I plan on bolting it in between the frame rails. http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/t...rossmember.jpg
bob082484 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2009, 09:48 PM   #9
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

here ya go

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=7878

still, for $100 i would build my own and make it a real structural member instead of just a little spreader bar for your frame rails.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2009, 10:09 PM   #10
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinal02 View Post
here ya go

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=7878

still, for $100 i would build my own and make it a real structural member instead of just a little spreader bar for your frame rails.
that is the one for the very back isnt it?
he needs the one that the FRONT of the gas tank mounts to i believe.
i'm about to make one for a mate of mine, out of either flat stock or angle iron, drilled for the tank and body mounts. shouldnt cost more than $20 in steel, and be @200% stronger to boot.

martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2009, 10:21 PM   #11
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin View Post
that is the one for the very back isnt it?
he needs the one that the FRONT of the gas tank mounts to i believe.
i'm about to make one for a mate of mine, out of either flat stock or angle iron, drilled for the tank and body mounts. shouldnt cost more than $20 in steel, and be @200% stronger to boot.

martin
whoops, missed that detail

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.