Rear bumper - with or without tire carrier? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear bumper - with or without tire carrier?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 04-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #16
Jax89Jeeper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykemc
I went with the Or-Fab tire/Gerry can carrier. Bolts to the body not the bumper. Have had it off road on some very rocky terrain and it did great. No rattles and held up just fine. Might be an option for you if you do not mind drilling holes in your tub.
Looks better than most of the bumper carriers too IMO. I went the OR-Fab style route, but felt they were WAY over-priced so I fabbed my own by scaling various views in photos I found online.... All the body hardware is welded to 3/16" armor and has a backing plate the the bolts directle behind the hinge. No sagging and woks flawlessly.

image-1250935427.jpg   image-109903727.jpg   image-1050472258.jpg  
Jax89Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #17
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax89Jeeper View Post

Looks better than most of the bumper carriers too IMO. I went the OR-Fab style route, but felt they were WAY over-priced so I fabbed my own by scaling various views in photos I found online.
Nice... I'm planning something along those lines after I get around to switching to a fold down tailgate. I don't want to build it now going over the hinges, just to change it later.

That looks great.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #18
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have to argue about swing away tire carriers even mostly breaking- granted mine is only a trail rig now, but I had the tire swing with 35" BFG MT on it for 2 years of DD and never had an issue- even when I slipped back on a hill climb into a tree and bent the tire mouting flange quite a bit- the spindle was still perfect. Granted I built it myself using a 2 ton trailer spindle.
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.