Rear bumper - with or without tire carrier? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear bumper - with or without tire carrier?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 04-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
mracer71
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Rear bumper - with or without tire carrier?

Guys, I am trying to pick a rear bumper - no tubes but something simple. Question is - what are the pluses and minuses of tire carrier vs non? Also, I see a lot of bumpers with hitch attachments but not rated for towing? So it's for getting accessories on it only?

mracer71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

What size tires are you going to run. Anything over a 31ish is too much for the stock carrier IMHO.

11 Ram 2500 - H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
Jonathanjr1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

No tire carryer pros
1. Lighter
2.cleaner look

No tire carryer cons
1.no spair tire
2.no extra storage ex racks and gas can mounts
Jonathanjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Bumper mounted tire carrier:

Pros:
Nifty place to put your spare that won't destroy your tailgate.

If you have a receiver hitch capable of pulling a trailer (and a spare that's larger than stock), you can hook up a trailer without jettisoning your spare.

Cons:
Sooner or later, most of the swing aways break the spindle (normally, where it's been welded to the bumper) and if you're very lucky won't go through the windshield of the Honda Civic that's tailgating you at the time.

The fold down style seem reliable; however, are a PITA when you want to open your tailgate.

As for receiver hitches with no rating ...I've got no clue.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
RIPNBST
2004 WJ 

A con of tire carriers mounted on bumpers not yet mentioned is many people complain of the noise they make. Squeaks and whatnot from pivot points while driving.
RIPNBST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mracer71
Also, I see a lot of bumpers with hitch attachments but not rated for towing? So it's for getting accessories on it only?
Yup, accessories only. Rugged ridge makes one for example. I had it then I made my own. It wasn't intended for towing. So if you have a bicycle you want to take with you, get one of them. One day I will be converting mine to a tire carrier. Only difference is mine is actually going to be "heavy duty".

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
image-3590065758.jpg  
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #7
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ
Bumper mounted tire carrier:

Cons:
Sooner or later, most of the swing aways break the spindle (normally, where it's been welded to the bumper) .
C'mon, MOST of them break? Really?!?
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #8
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by linusb View Post

C'mon, MOST of them break? Really?!?
It's not exactly uncommon... I've never seen one come completely off a Jeep while going down the road, but over half of the folks that I know (who wheel) have had issues with them. They're fine for the first 40k or so, but yeah, sooner or later the spindles break.

I ran one for a couple of years until I noticed a crack at the base of the spindle. I carry a plug kit and a small emergency air compressor (until my OBA is up and running). If I'm going somewhere where there is a real chance of issues, I put my spare in the back.

Edit: I just went back and read my post. I apologise for using too strong a comment. I concede that it's not "most"; however, it's a valid concern. As I said, of the people that I know who've used them (myself included), I've heard more bad than good after long term use. Mine was great until it cracked. I considered getting another one, but I knew I'd never trust it.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 11:39 PM   #9
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/r...-along-101332/
Contact Besrk. OP he can build you what you want.
Unread 04-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #10
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've got the Dirtworx bumper/tire carrier. My tailgate hinges were sagging from just 32/11.5 tires and I'm going to 33's or 35's. The Dirtworx is rated class 3 hitch, has a lifetime guarantee on spindle and all parts, it's heavy and great craftsmanship.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 12:19 AM   #11
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno72
I've got the Dirtworx bumper/tire carrier. My tailgate hinges were sagging from just 32/11.5 tires and I'm going to 33's or 35's. The Dirtworx is rated class 3 hitch, has a lifetime guarantee on spindle and all parts, it's heavy and great craftsmanship.
Did you pick it up from him? I see his ads on CL all the time.

As for me, I think the possibility of breaking a spindle is worth it at any tire weight. My tailgate is buggered up (I think the body is bent even though there are no dents) and slamming it with my tire on(so it doesn't rattle) has actually made me bend my tailgate.
Unread 04-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yes I picked it up at his shop. It has 10 mounting bolts and everyone lined up with my jeep holes perfect. It is heavy and well made, he says if anything breaks he'll fix it, but seeing his welds and the amount of metal I can't see me breaking it.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #13
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I love my bumper/tire carier, but than my tail gate won't hold my full size 37.....

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
image-2839206835.jpg   image-2653375895.jpg  
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #14
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno72 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno72 View Post
Yes I picked it up at his shop. It has 10 mounting bolts and everyone lined up with my jeep holes perfect. It is heavy and well made, he says if anything breaks he'll fix it, but seeing his welds and the amount of metal I can't see me breaking it.
I have the same bumper and like Reno72 it is well built, I mean really well built! I too went to his shop and picked it up and he was a very nice guy to deal with. It came with all the bolts, nuts, and washers you will need except for the extra pair of hands you will need to install it!

I have zero rattles or squeeks with mine and it holds my gas cans, high lift jack, and spare tire without any problems. If your interested check them out at www.thedirtworx.com
Unread 04-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #15
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I went with the Or-Fab tire/Gerry can carrier. Bolts to the body not the bumper. Have had it off road on some very rocky terrain and it did great. No rattles and held up just fine. Might be an option for you if you do not mind drilling holes in your tub.

phone-pic-2-070.jpg

phone-pic-2-076.jpg

phone-pic-2-077.jpg
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.