Rear bumper fabrication - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear bumper fabrication

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Rear bumper fabrication

I made this not too long ago for my TJ, but the spacings are the same and it could bolt onto the YJ as well. Figured I'd share it with you. I started with 2 X 4 X 3/16 rectangular steel tube but of course had to buy a 20' stick at $156 to just use 5' of it. I cut "wedges" out of top and bottom of the 2 X 4 then compressed it with C clamps then welded/ground, then tapered off the ends as drawn on the raw steel.

Then the camera battery door died and I didn't get to take much in the way of in-progress photos, but you can see some of the results here. The wedges were welded together and ground over, I added in D ring tabs and a recv'r hitch both of which are welded thru and thru front and back on the bumper. Here's a few shots.

Backside of D ring tabs. Instead of just welding them to one face of the steel, they were inserted all the way thru the bumper, and welded on both sides.

Then I boxed off the open ends with some 1/8" plate.

Parts here were sourced from A to Z fab. Zach mailed them all to me in a bulk rate USPS box at $14 or so/. 35# of stuff and about $193 worth of parts for the project.

Next thing to do was to mount the thing, and determine where 2 frame tie-in tabs are to go, and weld them in place. I need to gusset the recv'r hitch which will also be where safety chains go. I need to come up with the steel to make the A frame that mounts on the spindle, build the A frame and add in the tire mount, then paint and bolt it on to the Jeep.

No, I didn't save any money by doing this rather than just getting a complete already made unit from a named manufacturer, but it is supposed to be more satisfying to do it yourself, and my welder needed some action. No, I make no claims to be a welder, I'm just a do it yourself hack. Yes, that's Pearl Harbor in the background, and yes, I grow pineapples in my back yard.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I bought two 20' sticks of steel, one is 2 X 2 X 3/16, and the other is 1.5 X 1.5 X 1/8. That **&%$# 2 X 2 stick was $136 and I only needed about 4 feet of it. Very annoying. I have leftovers of course, so I may build a new front bumper for my YJ at some point. The bumper itself has some rattlecan on it since it seems that even Stainless Steel rusts out here overnight. I ground some of the primer to weld on frame tie in tabs.

Then added in some gussets for the recv'r hitch with holes in them for the safety chains if I ever tow something.

Then threw on some gloss black Rattle Can and let it dry a while in the sun.

Mounted it on the Rubicon, and started fabbing up the swing out bumper mounted spare thingey.

Things to do at this point--I need to mock up where the tire will go, pull off the OEM tire mount and 3rd brakelite, then figure out how to hook all that back up so it stays legal with a 3rd brake light. Next few steps will be welding in a "stop" so it doesn't swing so wide it crushes my backup light on the passenger side, and fab up the latch mechanism that holds it from swinging when I don't want it to swing.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 07-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Very nice. I'm glad you answered all those questions initially. I would have been a pest otherwise.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, so some more photos. I worked on the A frame for the Tire mount, painted it, then fabbed up the "latch" mechanism, added in a pillow block under the end of the base of the A frame, added in a "stop" mechanism so the tire/assembly wouldn't swing out too far and crush the fender.

The base of the A frame I did end up making it a few degrees up when unloaded, so that with the wt of a tire/rim, it comes down to level. Then it can sit on the slightly tapered pillow block and the latch mechanism isn't bearing the weight by itself. I will add in the 3rd brake light and wire it up before too long.

Added in a "gusset" to add maybe a little strength between the hinge mech and the A frame weld.

I had drawn the layout for the swing out tire mount A frame full sized on the cardboard, you can see it in pencil under the frame.

The skinny part sticking up and the little cross piece with holes drilled in it is for the 3rd brakelight. I used an indicator light from Checker's/O'Reillys.

Latch mechanism and the pillow block.

Hard to pick out, but there is a "keeper" on the thread of that dowel that allows it to turn to loosen/tighten the latch, but the knob/dowel will not fall out of the base of the A frame. I additionally added in a thick rubber washer so that it isn't bolting up steel-on-steel. You can tell the pillow block has a slight taper ground into the top of it.

'Stop' mechanism. I sleeved it with a piece of rubber hose/tubing for cushioning. Just a 1/2 in bolt with the threaded end cut off and the hex head rounded, then welded to the top of the bumper.

And yes, that's Phalaeonopsis species Orchid in the background one photo up, (for Louie4's benefit ) I grow orchids out here as well, but you can't weld them.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

"Finished" bumper. Wired up the 3rd brakelight, stuffed the wires in a loom, added in the loom keepers, etc. Photos of course.

I tried to avoid showing all the cheesy photos of me welding, those never really look all that great especially since I generally don't bother to wear shoes.

Added in some shackles from local Jeep shop.

Now my buddies will have something to hook onto to pull my weak ^ss out when I get stuck. If I ever get away from the Mall parking lot that is. Not sure I really want to add up all the costs, since it would have been cheaper to just buy one from the Aftermkt world, but then I wouldn't have much to post about.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
Luuca
Professional Novice

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Absolutely fantastic write up. Based upon the pricing I've seen out there for this style rear bumper and tire carrier NEW, I think you probably spent about the same (not including labor O/C) but you have a finished product you KNOW is right for both you and your Jeep. I like the quality of welding the receiver and D-ring mounts through the bumper. Good stuff. Looks great. One thing tho.. you couldn't route the wiring for your 3rd light through the tire carrier with a quick disconnect? that'd clean it right up.
I only get 100 characters including BBcode for my Sig line now so I thought I'd be witty and write until I run out of characters but for some reason I'm not running out of space as if some magic or witchcraft is afoot. I wonder what it could be. Perhaps the planets aligned and I'm the exception to the rule or some benevolent soul in a position of authority has looked down upon me and my predicament and has opted to rectify it in his intoxicated state and make people read this whole thing for no reason at all. Other than his amusement of course.
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
One thing tho.. you couldn't route the wiring for your 3rd light through the tire carrier with a quick disconnect? that'd clean it right up.
I had considered that option, but didn't want holes in my tubes to let in water. I found that you don't notice the wiring loom with the spare mounted, until you swing out the spare to get to the tailgate.

Something I did forget to mention though. The length of the tube holding the tire mount plate off the A frame was carefully set so that when the WMS of the spare is bolted up, the tire itself rests tight against the tubes of the A frame. This stops that tube/spare from wobbling with all the weight of the spare jiggling around, which could break that weld resulting in the spare dropping off. You can see the tube I'm talking about in this photo.

I did weld in a pair of angled gussets to strengthen the support of that tube, you can see one of them in the photo, a matching one is welded into the backside of the wheel mounting plate.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
Luuca
Professional Novice

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
I had considered that option, but didn't want holes in my tubes to let in water. I found that you don't notice the wiring loom with the spare mounted, until you swing out the spare to get to the tailgate.
True.. hadn't thought of that. Your statement:
Quote:
The bumper itself has some rattlecan on it since it seems that even Stainless Steel rusts out here overnight.
supports your logic for keeping the tubing sealed.

Nice work man. I like it a lot.
I only get 100 characters including BBcode for my Sig line now so I thought I'd be witty and write until I run out of characters but for some reason I'm not running out of space as if some magic or witchcraft is afoot. I wonder what it could be. Perhaps the planets aligned and I'm the exception to the rule or some benevolent soul in a position of authority has looked down upon me and my predicament and has opted to rectify it in his intoxicated state and make people read this whole thing for no reason at all. Other than his amusement of course.
Unread 07-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm discovering some small details I forgot to mention. I edited in one about the mount plate in my last post.

The other thing I found was that when the spare was swung out, then you opened the tailgate, the tailgate would strike against the Driver side A frame tube. I got a spare rubber bumper and mounted that onto the inside of the A frame, issue resolved. Forgot to take a photo of that though, maybe will have to edit in later on, but I believe it is pretty self-explanatory. Kinda like the rubber tubing sleeved over the top of the "swing stop" on the top of the bumper, passenger side.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
G30SFF250
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice bumper.

I am sure you will find a use for the leftover material.
Unread 07-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #11
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Rather inspiring. Kudos!!!

This is the YJ section though.
Unread 07-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #12
Luuca
Professional Novice

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
PERMA_BANN!!!!!
Unread 07-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #13
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Since my first Jeep was a YJ, I spend the bulk of my time on the YJ forum. This will also bolt directly up to a YJ, so I figured I'd share it with my YJ family rather than elsewhere.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #14
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Since my first Jeep was a YJ, I spend the bulk of my time on the YJ forum. This will also bolt directly up to a YJ, so I figured I'd share it with my YJ family rather than elsewhere.
I'm just dishing it out because I know you can take it.

Unread 11-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #15
zachv
Web Wheeler

Very nice work, Ian. Thanks for using AtoZ Fabrication products in your builds. Let us know if we can help in the future.
570-385-3931--shop
zachv is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.