Rear Bump Stops... how did you extend yours? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear Bump Stops... how did you extend yours?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
Burns95
2004 WJ 

Rear Bump Stops... how did you extend yours?

My Jeep is back together after the 8.8 install, regear and now 35's. I've trimmed my rear fenders as much as possible, and am still rubbing on full flex. It's time to measure and drop my stops. I am thinking about welding a piece of 2x2" tubing to my frame, and bolting the factory stops to the 2x2. This will give me 2 inches of extra stop. Any other thoughts? What's worked and what hasn't?

I have a big three day wheeling trip coming up on Friday. Please send me your ideas with pics if possible.

PS... Front is fine since I flat fendered the front. Just the back has issues.

Burns95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 06:33 AM   #2
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You could leave the pad alone and raise the axle bump point. Many SUA lift kits come with towers you clamp under the u-bolts. I have SOA and welded up a 'landing pad' on top of the u-bolt plate. In my case I had to do something, since the rubber would have been hitting the threaded ends of the u-bolts.
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #3
bpr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I did an 8.8 but did my own u-bolt flip during the process. I extended my bumpstops by cutting a piece of driveshaft tubing I had laying around. Cut it to length, welded a cap on it, then welded other end to top center portion of my ubolt plate. A little black paint and done.
bpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i dont have any on the yj

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy View Post
i dont have any on the yj
That's not the best approach for two reasons, either 1) the tub sheet metal becomes the compression limit, resulting in bent stuff or cut tires, or 2) The shock becomes the compression limit, resulting in broken shocks or mounts.
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:38 AM   #6
Burns95
2004 WJ 

Thanks for all of the responses. I welded a piece of square tubing to the frame and bolted my stop to the tubing. Havent flexed it yet, but I will try it tonight.
Burns95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.