Rear Axle Wrapping - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear Axle Wrapping

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-03-2001, 12:01 PM   #1
Loomis4wheeler

Rear Axle Wrapping

First, I want to thank everyone who replyed to my last email question. This next question is about axle wraping on a spring over setup. Whats my risk?

Loomis4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2001, 07:14 PM   #2
Tonka
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Axle wrap is much more likely to happen in a sprung over rig.
Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2001, 07:16 PM   #3
rayray

Risk? I dunno if there is really risk. More like a nucance. I take that back. You do run the risk of drive line binding. Hense, ujoints and drive shaft are at risk. That's probably the main thing.

rayray
rayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2001, 07:21 PM   #4
jpwranglr9

I did a spring over on my 95 YJ. Axle wrap is a very serious problem when doing a SOA. I tried the stock springs that lasted one day. running with 33's using stock springs don't work. what i did was use BDS 2" lift springs in the rear and 4" pro comp in the front. i also put a shackle in the rear to make the lift work. the front springs were sagged to about 3" of lift but were great to hold all the weight and still have excelent travel. the BDS arn't holding up so im thing of maby going to 3.5" bds with no shackle. that ever you do, a lift spring of some kind almost a must. that does mean a lot more lift, so drive line mods and stearing mods are a must as well. If u dont have a hard top, i did a lift to a frends jeep with the full 2" bds lift and SOA and that works great, even with 35" BFG's. hope this gives you some ideas into what it takes to to a SOA.
1995 YJ ,SOA with 4" procomp front 3.5" BDS rear 1" shackle rear, custom stearing, 35x12.50x15 pro-comp MTs, warn xd9000i, on-board air from A/C, dana 44 rear and 30 front with 4.56, powertrax no-spin rear, custom disks rear/trutrac front, warn front shafts, HD SYE kit, HD front and rear driveshafts, Warn 4X flairs, PIAA 520 ligts and on and on and on :)
jpwranglr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2001, 07:30 PM   #5
Tonka
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ah a fellow michigander. I thought michigan jeepers were an endangered species
Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2001, 08:53 PM   #6
jpwranglr9

Still here, live and strong!
1995 YJ ,SOA with 4" procomp front 3.5" BDS rear 1" shackle rear, custom stearing, 35x12.50x15 pro-comp MTs, warn xd9000i, on-board air from A/C, dana 44 rear and 30 front with 4.56, powertrax no-spin rear, custom disks rear/trutrac front, warn front shafts, HD SYE kit, HD front and rear driveshafts, Warn 4X flairs, PIAA 520 ligts and on and on and on :)
jpwranglr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2001, 12:11 AM   #7
Razskidoo

Here as well!!
Unread 05-04-2001, 12:58 AM   #8
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

SOA, you will have wrap. With 33s, wrap really isn't so bad you can't manage the trail. Vertical steps will be the problem, but otherwise you'll probably be ok. Hit the steps at an angle is one way to deal with it. Traction bars of course are the ultimate solution, but still with 33s it ain't too awfully horrible.

As far as the springs go, no doubt stockers all by themselves don't last worth a damn. But I ran stock YJ springs with the 2" Rancho Add-a-leaf on all four corners with excellent results for about 3 years. Those same springs are now on my son's SOA YJ and he got my stock axles and tcase. Which would make you assume that everything should work out the same. Wrong. His Jeep is much lighter than mine (he hasn't the tools and spares I carry yet) and we actually had to cut off and reweld the perches for a new angle. So he gets much more lift than I did out of them.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.