Rear Axle Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear Axle Question

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 05-01-2001, 06:26 PM   #1
Loomis4wheeler

Rear Axle Question

My current config:87' spring over,35rear with 4:56 gears and lock right lockers, 33" tires.I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake investing in current 35 rear axle. Question: Am I on borrowed time with this rear end, I realize everything can break,however, I have one shop telling me to replace it and another saying don't worry. I just spent the money on this setup last summer, so not excited about replacing. Any thoughts?

Loomis4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2001, 07:11 PM   #2
Tonka
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Take it easy on the 35 rear... especially with lockers. I have a 95 yj , 31in BFG muds with the dana 35c rear and a lockright. Two days after the locker was installed, I broke the passenger side axle shaft.
Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2001, 11:58 PM   #3
Cody_91YJ

With 33s, I'd think you should be ok...just don't go crazy on the throttle off-road.

I run 35s with 4.56 gears, lockers, and wheel pretty hard...still not broken (knock on wood ).
But I've got a Ford 8.8 to swap in as soon
as I save a few more bucks.

If you go bigger then 33s, I'd consider an upgrage. Either the Superior Axle Super 35C kit...or an axle swap. The axle swap may even be cheaper, or close to the Super 35C.

Even so, you may start putting aside spare cash to prepare for the next upgrade
Unread 05-02-2001, 12:34 PM   #4
rayray

Loomis,
Check out Superior's dana 35 options. The super 35 kit is a nice setup with never a reported broken axle. They also have a nice warrenty. I've been very happy with mine. My only grip is it's an act of God to get a spare shaft(s). An axle truss isn't a bad idea either.

rayray
rayray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2001, 12:20 AM   #5
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I bought my 95 YJ in September of 94. Up until last July I was running on the stock axles. The last setup I ran on those axles was an SOA, ARBs, 4.10s and 33" tires. My wheeling on those axles included the Rubicon a few times, the Dusy-Ershim, even Jackhammer at Johnson Valley among lots of other trails and events. I have never busted so much as a u-joint. It's my opinion, if you can't afford to do an axle swap, but you can afford to get locked and geared, do it! I wouldn't spend the dough on these new ultra-shafts from various vendors. Just getting spares for the ones you have is a better investment. For now, run what ya brung! Later down the road when you can afford and believe you really need an axle swap, then go for it. ARBs were expensive, but I sure as hell don't figure I wasted my money putting them into stock axles. I got my money's worth out of them. Heaven forbid I would have taken the advice of not locking those axles and missed out on all the cool trails I did on them stockers.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2001, 02:07 AM   #6
jpwranglr9

I did the same thing with my axles after a gearless didn't like where it was in the rear end. I put 4.56 with a detroit locker in the rear 35C. I use Moser shafts and broke one playing on something i shouldn't have. I did that with 35's on the jeep. with 33's you shouldnt have a problem. i ran with the same setup with 33's for 2 1/2 years and never have a problem. I would recomend getting a set of Moser shafts or Superior shafts from Lane Auto.
1995 YJ ,SOA with 4" procomp front 3.5" BDS rear 1" shackle rear, custom stearing, 35x12.50x15 pro-comp MTs, warn xd9000i, on-board air from A/C, dana 44 rear and 30 front with 4.56, powertrax no-spin rear, custom disks rear/trutrac front, warn front shafts, HD SYE kit, HD front and rear driveshafts, Warn 4X flairs, PIAA 520 ligts and on and on and on :)
jpwranglr9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.