Rear Axle Pinion Seal - Dana 35 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear Axle Pinion Seal - Dana 35

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 11-04-2005, 11:21 PM   #1
SeattleTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Rear Axle Pinion Seal - Dana 35

I replaced the pinion seal on my Dana 35 the other day, I had the driveshaft off since I was taking out the tranny, so all I had to do was unbolt the pinion nut to get to the seal. The pain in the butt was getting the seal out. I tried using my harbor freight seal puller to pop it out, but succeeded only in bending and breaking the tips of it. I finally took a screwdriver and a 2lb mallet and tapped the flat edge of the screwdriver under the lip of the seal all the way around the seal until it popped out. I replaced the seal with a new one, it looked different than the old one as it had no lip on it. I put it in by holding a big socket over the pinion shaft and tapping the seal into the case. I am hoping this cures the leak.

SeattleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
hunterboy2121
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i just did the same thing last night but with no luck on putting the new seal in. i changed from a regular yoke to the spicer kit with u-bolts upgrade and the seals were different. the new seal seems a bit too big (the outside ring) but we jerry rigged it in mostly. the bottom is in very snug but the top is not in rite. it only leaks a little bit and i think it will do till i get another seal
hunterboy2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
sequel

did you properly ensure that the pinion bearing has the correct preload?
285/75R16 Dunlop Mud Rovers
sequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
hunterboy2121
1999 TJ Wrangler 

ummm . . . it was tight
hunterboy2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
rogerhill
1993 YJ Wrangler 

lol I forgot about this too but I lucked out.
rogerhill is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.