rear axle leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > rear axle leak

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 10-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
fireguyl9
1995 YJ Wrangler 

rear axle leak

Whenever I park at a left leaning angle I notice a leak at left rear wheel,never whenn parking flat.
There is a very small amount of up and down play in the axle.
is the seal blown or do I need to replace that side?

fireguyl9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

Inner axle seal. Need to remove the carrier and axles to replace. Its not worth it for a small drip. Just keep it topped off with fluid every few weeks. Or if you have a strong rear axle, upgrade gears and throw in a locker and do the seals at the same time.
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
fireguyl9
1995 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the info
Unread 10-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I would fix it if it were me. If there is play in the axle shaft then the outer axle bearing is gone too. The seal and the bearing are near the end of the axle tube. There is no "inner seal" near the differential on the d35.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg413i View Post
Inner axle seal. Need to remove the carrier and axles to replace. Its not worth it for a small drip. Just keep it topped off with fluid every few weeks. Or if you have a strong rear axle, upgrade gears and throw in a locker and do the seals at the same time.
.. wut? The Dana 35 only has seals at the end. Super simple to replace them, too.

All you have to do is jack up that side, remove the tire, pop open the differential cover and then push the shaft in a little (push it inward toward the differential), remove the c-clip inside of the carrier that retains the axle shaft, then slide the shaft out. That will expose the seal at the end of the tube.

Using a seal remover, pop the old one out. With either a seal setting tool, or your own DIY tool (I used a 2x4 when I did mine), hit the new one in. Put the shaft in, put the c-clip on. Clean the diff cover and housing, put a new bead of sealant on, screw it in. Fill it up. And you're good to go.

I'd do both seals at the same time. It's an extra 30 minutes or so of work, at most... and if one seal is leaking, the other one probably isn't too far behind.
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
fireguyl9
1995 YJ Wrangler 

thanks idskot, looks like I have a project to do at the fire station
Unread 10-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just carry a short piece of scrap 6x6 with you... when you go to park, stop about 1' short of where you need, get out, place 6x6 block of wood in front of rear left wheel, then pull ahead the remaining foot. you'll never leak a drop out that side again (at least not while parked )

to me (and most of us here) that's about the only expense worth putting into the turdy-5
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idskot
.. wut? The Dana 35 only has seals at the end. Super simple to replace them, too. All you have to do is jack up that side, remove the tire, pop open the differential cover and then push the shaft in a little (push it inward toward the differential), remove the c-clip inside of the carrier that retains the axle shaft, then slide the shaft out. That will expose the seal at the end of the tube. Using a seal remover, pop the old one out. With either a seal setting tool, or your own DIY tool (I used a 2x4 when I did mine), hit the new one in. Put the shaft in, put the c-clip on. Clean the diff cover and housing, put a new bead of sealant on, screw it in. Fill it up. And you're good to go. I'd do both seals at the same time. It's an extra 30 minutes or so of work, at most... and if one seal is leaking, the other one probably isn't too far behind.
I was thinking a front 30 sorry for misguidance.
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=SeanB95YJ;17292538]Just carry a short piece of scrap 6x6 with you... when you go to park, stop about 1' short of where you need, get out, place 6x6 block of wood in front of rear left wheel, then pull ahead the remaining foot. you'll never leak a drop out that side again (at least not while parked )

Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.