rear axle leak - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 10-28-2013, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
fireguyl9
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: mINNEAPOLIS
Posts: 18
rear axle leak

Whenever I park at a left leaning angle I notice a leak at left rear wheel,never whenn parking flat.
There is a very small amount of up and down play in the axle.
is the seal blown or do I need to replace that side?

fireguyl9 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 10-28-2013, 08:51 PM
gtg413i
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1,419
Inner axle seal. Need to remove the carrier and axles to replace. Its not worth it for a small drip. Just keep it topped off with fluid every few weeks. Or if you have a strong rear axle, upgrade gears and throw in a locker and do the seals at the same time.
gtg413i is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 10-28-2013, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
fireguyl9
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: mINNEAPOLIS
Posts: 18
thanks for the info
fireguyl9 is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 10-29-2013, 01:42 PM
Apollo12227
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Orlando
Posts: 2,663
I would fix it if it were me. If there is play in the axle shaft then the outer axle bearing is gone too. The seal and the bearing are near the end of the axle tube. There is no "inner seal" near the differential on the d35.
Apollo12227 is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 10-29-2013, 05:45 PM
idskot
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Miami
Posts: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg413i View Post
Inner axle seal. Need to remove the carrier and axles to replace. Its not worth it for a small drip. Just keep it topped off with fluid every few weeks. Or if you have a strong rear axle, upgrade gears and throw in a locker and do the seals at the same time.
.. wut? The Dana 35 only has seals at the end. Super simple to replace them, too.

All you have to do is jack up that side, remove the tire, pop open the differential cover and then push the shaft in a little (push it inward toward the differential), remove the c-clip inside of the carrier that retains the axle shaft, then slide the shaft out. That will expose the seal at the end of the tube.

Using a seal remover, pop the old one out. With either a seal setting tool, or your own DIY tool (I used a 2x4 when I did mine), hit the new one in. Put the shaft in, put the c-clip on. Clean the diff cover and housing, put a new bead of sealant on, screw it in. Fill it up. And you're good to go.

I'd do both seals at the same time. It's an extra 30 minutes or so of work, at most... and if one seal is leaking, the other one probably isn't too far behind.
idskot is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 10-30-2013, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
fireguyl9
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: mINNEAPOLIS
Posts: 18
thanks idskot, looks like I have a project to do at the fire station
fireguyl9 is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 10-30-2013, 12:45 PM
SeanB95YJ
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Schenectady
Posts: 1,182
Just carry a short piece of scrap 6x6 with you... when you go to park, stop about 1' short of where you need, get out, place 6x6 block of wood in front of rear left wheel, then pull ahead the remaining foot. you'll never leak a drop out that side again (at least not while parked )

to me (and most of us here) that's about the only expense worth putting into the turdy-5

Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
swap/build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...hread-1542284/
SeanB95YJ is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 10-30-2013, 01:45 PM
gtg413i
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by idskot
.. wut? The Dana 35 only has seals at the end. Super simple to replace them, too. All you have to do is jack up that side, remove the tire, pop open the differential cover and then push the shaft in a little (push it inward toward the differential), remove the c-clip inside of the carrier that retains the axle shaft, then slide the shaft out. That will expose the seal at the end of the tube. Using a seal remover, pop the old one out. With either a seal setting tool, or your own DIY tool (I used a 2x4 when I did mine), hit the new one in. Put the shaft in, put the c-clip on. Clean the diff cover and housing, put a new bead of sealant on, screw it in. Fill it up. And you're good to go. I'd do both seals at the same time. It's an extra 30 minutes or so of work, at most... and if one seal is leaking, the other one probably isn't too far behind.
I was thinking a front 30 sorry for misguidance.
gtg413i is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 10-30-2013, 09:46 PM
Flajeeper1
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 732
[QUOTE=SeanB95YJ;17292538]Just carry a short piece of scrap 6x6 with you... when you go to park, stop about 1' short of where you need, get out, place 6x6 block of wood in front of rear left wheel, then pull ahead the remaining foot. you'll never leak a drop out that side again (at least not while parked )

Flajeeper1 is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 10-02-2014, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
fireguyl9
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: mINNEAPOLIS
Posts: 18
i'm replacing both axles in my 95 YJ having trouble loosening the locknut on the pin
any tips?

Last edited by fireguyl9; 10-02-2014 at 11:51 AM.
fireguyl9 is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 10-02-2014, 11:29 AM
mike134
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 4,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanB95YJ View Post
Just carry a short piece of scrap 6x6 with you... when you go to park, stop about 1' short of where you need, get out, place 6x6 block of wood in front of rear left wheel, then pull ahead the remaining foot. you'll never leak a drop out that side again (at least not while parked )

to me (and most of us here) that's about the only expense worth putting into the turdy-5
I would disagree with this. If you're not doing hard offroading, there is no need to upgrade the Dana 35. Replace the seal, the part is cheap enough and you probably want to tinker with the jeep anyway. Unless you are going to climb underneath and check your diff fluid every couple days, you shouldn't wait too long.
mike134 is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 10-03-2014, 06:14 AM
Jeepsr4me
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguyl9 View Post
i'm replacing both axles in my 95 YJ having trouble loosening the locknut on the pin
any tips?
What exactly or where exactly is the lock nut?

I can walk you thru this fix with no problems,

If you talking about the bolt that holds the cross shaft? Bolt can brreak so be mindful of which way you loosening it. Once out then the cross shaft will slide out. Then push in the axles and the C clip will be right there in the diff. Take it off and then pull axle out. the seal and bearing are toast and they are one of the easiest to get at.

GET A LOT OF BRAKE CLEAN... the oil has already contaminated the shoes.
But lets fix the leak 1st then get the brakes back to working
Attached Images
 
Jeepsr4me is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 10-03-2014, 07:20 AM
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR
 
johnboy68's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fayette County WV
Posts: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguyl9 View Post
i'm replacing both axles in my 95 YJ having trouble loosening the locknut on the pin
any tips?
It probably has some lock tight on the threads. Use a little heat to get it loosened up.
johnboy68 is online now  
post #14 of 14 Old 10-03-2014, 07:26 AM
Steve707
Senior Member
 
Steve707's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Martinez
Posts: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134 View Post
I would disagree with this. If you're not doing hard offroading, there is no need to upgrade the Dana 35. Replace the seal, the part is cheap enough and you probably want to tinker with the jeep anyway. Unless you are going to climb underneath and check your diff fluid every couple days, you shouldn't wait too long.
I broke my first 35 getting on the freeway. But a bad seal is cheap enough that replacing the axle isn't worth it right now unless you were going to anyway.
Steve707 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome