Rear axle bearing cap ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear axle bearing cap ??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-03-2012, 05:33 AM   #1
mylittlecj5
1974 CJ5 

Rear axle bearing cap ??

I am putting together a Jeep from used spare parts out of my shop.
I am working on the axles right now, I have a YJ mated pair with 4:10 gears and a rear L/S diff chosen for the install. My problem is that someone had decided to remove the cover off the rear axle and take the bearing caps off at one time or another, and they are no longer with the parts Jeep.

Would it screw anything up if I took a set of caps off another axle and installed them on this one? I am not axle qualified, so I'm not sure if I would have to reset the gear patterns or preloads or not. Every thing else is there to make this a bolt-in deal, I just need to find out if this axle is useable, or if I will have to put these gears in another housing.

Default Jeepers Club #10
mylittlecj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

They are torqued down to the housing during mfg before the bearing seating surface is ground, to ensure a perfect circle for the bearing. I would not use another pair, meaning I'd say you are screwed.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.