Really dumb timing question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 10-29-2015, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
welderman85

Really dumb timing question

Whats the best/easiest to get my 258 0 degrees tdc . I have never done it before but I do have a timming light

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-29-2015, 03:11 PM
70ssclone
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Pop the valve cover off and stick a long screwdriver down the the #1 spark plug hole after also removing the plug rotate the motor by hand with a breaker bar in the rotation the motor spins . Watch as the screw driver comes all the way to the top of the stroke and you may have to turn it back a hair when it just starts to drop , verify that the valves are both closed ( remember it can be at tdc on the exhaust stroke . That's why you pop the valve cover off ). After that Verify with timing tab if it has one
post #3 of 4 Old 10-29-2015, 08:38 PM
superj

What are you doing?

I don't feel like working on anything at this time so i sold my yj.
post #4 of 4 Old 10-30-2015, 05:34 AM
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by welderman85 View Post
Whats the best/easiest to get my 258 0 degrees tdc . I have never done it before but I do have a timming light
Why? The timing is electronic, no wear parts so it never goes out of adjustment.
Setting the timing with a light is also picky to do if yours is stock with the ECU in control of the timing.
To find TDC "compression" you remove plug #1 and use the belt or a wrench to turn the engine clockwise with your finger over the plug hole. When you feel compression under your finger, stop and put a pencil or wood rod in the hole, then keep turning until the rod is all the way to the top. At this point the timing mark should be on 0.
Your engine has 2 TDC points on #1 cylinder. The exhaust stroke and the compression stroke. One has the rotor in the distributor pointing at #6 plug wire post in the cap, the other has the rotor pointing to #1 plug wire post.

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.