Ready for lockers.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ready for lockers..

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRCV Axles at CCORPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 09-24-2001, 06:44 PM   #1
JeeperJay

Ready for lockers..

I've got a mostly stock 92 YJ and I'm looking to lock it up. What do you all recommend for a good quality locker thats not too expensive? I'm on a limited budget and not looking to get too crazy quite yet. As far as the drivetrain goes its 100% stock (D35 rear/D30 front). Any suggestions?

Unread 09-25-2001, 11:28 AM   #2
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

This is always such a tough question to answer. What you're gonna have to do is learn all you can about all the kinds of lockers and then make the decision for yourself. For me, the answer is always ARB. But for good reason, that doesn't suite everyone.

Here's a brief synopsis from "my" standpoint of the most popular choices.

ARB - This locker can be turned on and off. Huge advantage for normal day to day driving. Less stress on the drivetrain components. But this locker is complicated in comparison to most others. Which makes it somewhat vulnerable. You must have a reliable air source. The ARB compressor is NOT a reliable air source.

Detroit - This is basically the most popular locker choice. Very reliable. But harsh on the pavement. Considered bulletproof, but that's not actually true. They break too. For a trail mostly rig, this is without question the best choice.

Lockrite or EZ locker - Known as "lunchbox" lockers. These only replace the spider gears and not the whole carrier. Comparably inexpensive and easy to install. The lifetime of these lockers is a crap shoot though. My opinion is that they last about 3 years in a rear axle. Some last longer, some don't make more than a few trips around the block. In the front axle, this is a good choice. They'll last a lifetime in the front.

The Powertrax is a new beefed up version of the lockrite. Same in function. Cost is significantly higher though. Fairly new and I won't speculate on it's strength.

The new ox-locker is somewhat like the ARB in that it can be disengaged. However it's new. I will not speculate as to how long it might last or how reliable its cable actuation will be.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2001, 12:03 PM   #3
Jeep Chic

I did a lot of research when it came to putting a locker on my 95YJ. I decided to go with the PowerTrax No-Slip,for different reasons. First...cost, under $450.oo,depending on who you order from, installation: wanted to do it myself, took about 45 minutes to install, and didn't have to take it to a shop, The other reason is that this is a daily driver, and I didn't want the noise (ratcheting sound) that is associated with other types of lockers.
Here's a picture...
The only minor delay was trying to find the wrench to get the pinion reatining bolt out. My D35c has a 1/4" 12 point head on it.

It does take some getting used to drive wise. Like easy on the gas and coasting around the corners. I will get to really try it out on the 29th at the Badlands. I will let you know if I still really like it.
Jeep Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2001, 07:46 PM   #4
jpwranglr9

i've got a compleat rear end from a 95 Yj. It has a full detroit locker. this is the full locker and not the lunchbox locker that uses the old carrier. it also has a moser shaft, disk brakes, 4.56 gears, and a trust. if you are interested, this can be bolted right in for less than the price of the locker, gears and install and you get disk brakes, shafts (3, 1 extra) and trust. If you have 4.10 gears (if you have a 4cyl) your old gear set can be used in the axle.
1995 YJ ,SOA with 4" procomp front 3.5" BDS rear 1" shackle rear, custom stearing, 35x12.50x15 pro-comp MTs, warn xd9000i, on-board air from A/C, dana 44 rear and 30 front with 4.56, powertrax no-spin rear, custom disks rear/trutrac front, warn front shafts, HD SYE kit, HD front and rear driveshafts, Warn 4X flairs, PIAA 520 ligts and on and on and on :)
jpwranglr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2001, 07:50 PM   #5
JeeperJay

What do you want for it?
Unread 09-26-2001, 06:24 AM   #6
jpwranglr9

i realy would like 750 for the whole assembly but am willing to consider an offer.
1995 YJ ,SOA with 4" procomp front 3.5" BDS rear 1" shackle rear, custom stearing, 35x12.50x15 pro-comp MTs, warn xd9000i, on-board air from A/C, dana 44 rear and 30 front with 4.56, powertrax no-spin rear, custom disks rear/trutrac front, warn front shafts, HD SYE kit, HD front and rear driveshafts, Warn 4X flairs, PIAA 520 ligts and on and on and on :)
jpwranglr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2001, 07:44 PM   #7
JeeperJay

Wow...I think I'm getting in over my head right now. I've been looking at prices for lockers and I don't have that kind of money right now. I think maybe I should keep my mind on keeping my jeep running good for the winter before I start get crazy with mods. I'll have a big jeep someday

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.