RE hack and tap sye leaking around drive flange/splines - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > RE hack and tap sye leaking around drive flange/splines

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

RE hack and tap sye leaking around drive flange/splines

Ok I installed the RE H&T tonight, cut the shaft per RE instructions to 1 1/4". I had to use the seal flange because I have a YJ and they have the early T case, everything went well, took it for a test drive and when I got back home I looked under the jeep to check things I saw a drip of ATF coming from the splines of the shaft where the 3/8 bolt that holds the drive flange on. I didn't put any RVT on the splines of the shaft or the bolt, the instructions didn't say anything about it.

Putting RVT on the drive flange and splines seems like it would solve the problem, just wanting to see if anyone else had this problem and how you fixed it.

Leak
image-3870317321.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Unread 11-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The RTV will not hurt anything give it a try.
Also why you have it out check the seal and make sure the spring is still there.
You may also want to pack the seal with grease.
Unread 11-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS
The RTV will not hurt anything give it a try.
Also why you have it out check the seal and make sure the spring is still there.
You may also want to pack the seal with grease.
Yeah that's what I figured. The seal is good and there are no leaks around the seal at all, it leaks out of the splines where the drive shaft bolts to the flange.... The drive flange does fill up with ATF so I see why it would be leaking there now, just the dumb RE instructions didn't say anything about putting RVT there...

I'll try it and see what happens.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.