Re-Gear question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Re-Gear question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 08-24-2011, 12:30 AM   #1
JeepMeGusta
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Re-Gear question

I got stock axles on my 95 sitting on some 33's. I do drive it on the street a lot, but do lots of wheeling as well. I want to re-gear, but I dont know what ratio I should go for. I dont mink going slow(er) on the roads. Oh, and what type should I get? Thanks.

CH_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepyj13 View Post
i have a rc 4" lift so far its pretty leveled, no sags, rides good on hwy, but around town on bumpy roads you swear that your riding a wagon. its a rough ride but oh well ill deal with it.
JeepMeGusta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2011, 12:33 AM   #2
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looking at your specs on your Jeep 2.5L + Manual tranny = 4.88 gears for 33in. tires

Your milage will increase, You will have stock like power, and your speedo will be accurate, You will be able to keep up with traffic on the hiway ! I ran 4.88's on both of my 4cyl Jeeps with 33" tires. I personally like "Yukon" Brand gears Superior Gear stuff is great also
Unread 08-24-2011, 12:37 AM   #3
kphimself
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You may wanna consider upgrading to a ford 8.8 or dana 44 axle on the rear. The stock dana 35 isn't very good if you do any amount of wheeling and it would suck to put all that money into them just to break it on the trail.
kphimself is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2011, 12:41 AM   #4
Pullsout
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm in same boat already bought my 4:88's it gets pricey if you can't do it yourself so best of luck to ya.
Pullsout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
JeepMeGusta
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphimself View Post
You may wanna consider upgrading to a ford 8.8 or dana 44 axle on the rear. The stock dana 35 isn't very good if you do any amount of wheeling and it would suck to put all that money into them just to break it on the trail.
Do I have to do any modifications with those axles(cutting,welding...) or does it bolt straight on? If I got one of those two, should I still re gear to 4:88's?
CH_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepyj13 View Post
i have a rc 4" lift so far its pretty leveled, no sags, rides good on hwy, but around town on bumpy roads you swear that your riding a wagon. its a rough ride but oh well ill deal with it.
JeepMeGusta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
95wrangler4life
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The 8.8 does require minor welding (cheap) the Dana 44 will require more fabrication.

Yes, you still need to re-gear. You just dont want to spend money on your crappy rear axle, this will provide you added strength and the gearing will help restore your power.

I had 32's (measured 33's) swampers with my 4.88s for a bit and could cruise 70mph and had 5th gear back, however its rather flat here. got roughly 16-17mpg on a trip from OC-NJ Pines at around 70mph

Build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...-dirty-894483/
95wrangler4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.