RE 4 inch lift with 1" lift shackles...ok driveline angles? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > RE 4 inch lift with 1" lift shackles...ok driveline angles?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-01-2007, 02:14 AM   #1
sk80soarus
1992 YJ Wrangler 

RE 4 inch lift with 1" lift shackles...ok driveline angles?

will my driveline angles be ok? i know i should post this in the suspension forum...but for some reason i think ill get better answeres here.

will i need to switch back to stock shackles to avoid bad vibrations?? or will it be fine?

sk80soarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2007, 02:20 AM   #2
PanthrosRevenge
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 2.5" RE lift with no modification except a t-case drop, but the RE literature recommends a driveline correction for anything 4" and above. It doesn't say "required" for 4", but it does say "recommended", so I guess it depends on you're setup. Others with a 4" lift would be better able to advise you.

Also, fill out your jeep profile.
31X10.5X15 Hitech AT's
2.5" Rubicon Express SD Lift
Midland CB w/ 4' Firestik II
PanthrosRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2007, 02:34 AM   #3
jeepjared84
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It all depends on the vehicle and lift. I had a 4" RC, and all I got was 4". I have heard that with the RE you may net closer to 5". I had a couple vibs with my RC, but I dealt with it for 2 years until I installed a SYE. It depends on the lift, vehicle and your budget. If you don't want to do a SYE, you could try the t-case drop and maybe some shims, but if you do end up somewhere around 5" you may just want to do it right and get a SYE.
D30/8.8 4.56 gearing
jeepjared84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2007, 11:44 AM   #4
cumnzdzl
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just had this problem 2 weeks ago lol. I installed a 1" BL and MML (MML was supposed to help with the driveline angles), a few weeks later I installed my RE 4" lift which my jeep already had 1" lift shackles after getting the TC drop and the rest of the kit bolted in I took it out for a test run and it popped and vibrated bad, so bad I didn't drive it until I got my SYE and CV shaft on. I did take the 1" lift shackles off and put 5/8" MORE boomerang shackles on and that did help the vibes. I have less than 300 in my SYE and CV shaft. I bought a JB coversions SYE kit which was $213 shipped, an XJ Front shaft cut and balanced $84 cheapest SYE kit I could find was over $400 and I didint' like the kit so I built my own lol hope this helps.

Here it is on 35's my old 1" lift shackles and TJ flares

[B]SOLD[/B] 1993 Wrangler, 4 cylinder with a bored out TB spacer intake manifold and a 4.0 HO TB, 5 spd, herculined tub, 1in Performance Acessories BL, JKS 1in BMML, TJ Flares, Rubicon express 4in lift, M.O.R.E. 5/8" Boomerang Shackles, and 35x12.50x15in BFG Mud Terrains
cumnzdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2007, 11:48 AM   #5
cumnzdzl
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Oh without factoring in my 1" lift shackles I got 6 1/2" of lift just out of the springs. I am 29 3/4" from the ground to the bottom of my rockers!!!

[B]SOLD[/B] 1993 Wrangler, 4 cylinder with a bored out TB spacer intake manifold and a 4.0 HO TB, 5 spd, herculined tub, 1in Performance Acessories BL, JKS 1in BMML, TJ Flares, Rubicon express 4in lift, M.O.R.E. 5/8" Boomerang Shackles, and 35x12.50x15in BFG Mud Terrains
Unread 12-01-2007, 12:40 PM   #6
Mark_ZZ3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

A shackle that provides 1" suspension lift will change your pinion by 2 degrees. (use that high school match to figure out the circumference of the circle created by your leaf spring).

Vibrations will depending on your pinion angle vs. transfer case as well as the total angle of your driveshaft. The rule is that the angle at the pinion and transfer case should be the same, however a ujoint only works "vibration free" in a very small angle. With a 4" lift, the angle of the driveshaft is becoming extreme for the ujoints and you will get vibrations due to the overall angle, not from mis-matched angles.

On my Jeep, I have 3.5" springs and shackles that provide 7/8th" lift. I had vibrations that I could only solve by pointing the pinion up. So my transfercase and pinion don't match exactly, rather the pinion is slightly more. It was a tradeoff for the least amount of vibration. The downside is my front driveshaft vibrates at higher speeds.

So the only choice for me is to put in a SYE as it will allow the me to set the Transfercase up so the front driveshaft is vibration free, and the rear can be pointed right at the transfer case.

Mark.
Mark_ZZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2007, 12:43 PM   #7
Mark_ZZ3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Oh yes .... you will most likely need longer shackles with 4" springs as when they rear suspension compresses, the shackles will hit the frame. Longer shackles allow for more droop and compressions.
Mark_ZZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 01:14 AM   #8
sk80soarus
1992 YJ Wrangler 

lol...ok thanks guys...every mod requires another mod!
sk80soarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2007, 06:05 PM   #9
cumnzdzl
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk80soarus
lol...ok thanks guys...every mod requires another mod!
^^^^ I never thought of it that way lol I need to tell that to the wife maybe she'll understand lol!!!

Last edited by cumnzdzl; 12-08-2007 at 10:57 AM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.