post #1 of 1 Old 05-27-2006, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
GroundClearance

2004 TJ Wrangler 

RE 2.5 Writeup

Hey all just realized I never posted my RE lift writeup...so here it is

Goal: Lift your Jeep 2.5in
Difficulty: 6
Time: About 6 Hours
Tool/Parts: All basic tools; ie. Wrenchs, Ratchets, Sockets , Deep Well Sockets, both standard and metric
# 55 Torx tip
#40 Torx Tip
Floor Jack
2-4 Jack stands (Can't be to safe)
PB Blaster/WD-40
BIG Hammer (3lbs works well)
Drill
1/2 Drill Bit
Grease

4 Leafs
4 Shocks
2 Sway bar Discos
1" TC Drop
8 New U Bolts

Here are most of the parts nicely laid out:

Price: $560 Shipped cross country by DC4WD, he is by far the cheapest retailer around.

Pre Lift:

Soak all nuts and bolts that are to be removed in PB Blaster for a week or so, try an experiment in you don't believe me, don't soak one bolt and do the rest, if you were like me (accidentally) the bolt you didn't soak (or forgot) will take as long as half the others combined.

Also I was in a rush to get the lift on so I didn't take as many pictures as I meant to.

Day 1:

I started by lifting the Jeep up with a frame lift, but I have worked on more comprehensive lift kits with just a floor jack and jack stands. First step was to remove the wheels and tires, sway bars, shocks, and the track bar all came out easily in my case.

After that I put jack stands under the axle and began to take off the old U-Bolts and plates and then the leaf springs.

New and old springs:

In my case I did one side at a time with the leafs. Here is me putting the bushings and shims in a leaf.

To install the new leafs I found that its easyies to start by putting on the leaf on the frame first then getting the shackles way loose so you can easaly rotate them. Having this been my first time dealing with leafs I may have done somthing wrong, but even after having the shackles was loose I still had trouble getting the leafs on the shackle end, I fixed this by putting a jack stand under the leaf rear of the axle and then dropping the jack to compress the leaf and then had no problem getting the leaf bolted up. After the leaf it was all easy again, put on the new U-Bolts and shocks. After that you just ream out a 1/2 hole for the new TB bracket and your done. In the front I ran into 2 problems: 1. My brake lines are siezed and when I tryed to unscrew them they started to strip, I'm going to get one of thoughs wrenchs that are almost a box end with one small break in them and try that. 2. One of the bolts on the U-Bolt plate that holds on the sway bars sheared off, I havent bothered to fix that yet because I really havent noticed much of a difference execept in turns I took to tight/fast in the first place.

Day 2:

Lifted the Jeep back up took off the tires and began work again, the rear is pretty much the same as the front, I began by taking off the rear shocks and trackbar which I threw away. Next I put jack stands under the axle and began taking off the one side of the U-bolts, plates. and leafs. Like the front I couldnt get the brake line off so I left that for another day.

Final Thoughts:

While I really didnt notice a huge difference in height there is definitely more room in the wheel wells to flex, also on the trail I noticed a lot more flex and a slightly softer ride, there really arnt any negatives that come to mind with this kit.

--Matt Nunn

'02 Wrangler TJ
'04 Rubi
'88 Wrangler YJ
'94 Grand Cherokee ZJ RIP FEB 25 2006
'47 CJ2A
Quote:
Originally Posted by knatdog55
matt, you are a dirty hooker, deal with it....
U.S. NAVY JEEP HULL # 41

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NOW WORKING

Last edited by GroundClearance; 05-27-2006 at 09:10 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.