RE 2.5. Why is it so BoUnCy!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > RE 2.5. Why is it so BoUnCy!?

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 02-03-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
Escape311
1993 YJ Wrangler 

RE 2.5. Why is it so BoUnCy!?***SOLVED MOSTLY***

So I just got my RE 2.5 installed (93 YJ) and everything went mostly well except I had to flip the rear shocks upside down because they wouldn't fit at the time. I've since been told that they should fit after the full weight of the vehicle is on the axle but I haven't had a chance to try that yet. But at any rate, it's incredibly bouncy in the back end. My other thought was that if I remember correctly the original front leaf spring packs had 5 leafs and the rears had 4. With this kit, all springs had 5 leafs. What might be the more likely cause of the bounce? Can upside down hydros really make it that bouncy or is more likely the leafs? Anybody have this issue? TIA.

UPDATE: Ok, so today, I dropped the air pressure down to 25psi from 35psi. Apparently when I had the tires mounted they put 35psi in them. Ouch. I also pulled all of the leaf spring bushings out and greased EVERYTHING with some lithium grease. Then I left all bolts loose, set the Jeep on the ground and bounced it several times pretty good, then torqued all the shackle bolts to 50 ft-lbs as suggested. It definitely rides MUCH better. I would imagine after some more miles it will be even better but for now I'm very happy with the result. Thank you all for the ideas and information!!

Last edited by Escape311; 02-04-2009 at 06:47 PM..
Escape311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
blake989
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm no expert, but I've heard that a shock mounted upside down (when it's not designed to be upside down) allows more/some travel without resistance.

What I do know, my RE2.5 rides soft, no bounce.
Unread 02-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
mighty4banger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Check your shackles - are they too tight? It took my RE 4" a while to break in as well.
95 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 4.88's, Aussie Locker D30, 35" Mud Rovers, Herculined tub, TKH rear bumper, Ford 8.8, JB Conv. SYE, Sylvania Silver Stars, T-MAX 9K winch, MORE 1" body lift, Turbo City oil pan skid, Rubicon Express 4" lift...

2012 KK Black all stock.
mighty4banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My RE springs were pretty bouncy for the first few hundred miles. Now it rides pretty nice. I torqued my shackles down to 50 pound-feet. That helped, too.
Unread 02-03-2009, 10:41 AM   #5
jgillespie
1991 YJ Wrangler 

X3 on checking your shackle torque specs. is your kit the HD? all kits tend to bounce and be harsher than the stock ride until they settle down after 500 or so miles

Originally posted by Crazyquadder:
Quote:
a 6 foot puddle is approx half way up my doors
jgillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
Escape311
1993 YJ Wrangler 

UPDATE: I flipped the shocks and it only seems "somewhat" better. Unfortunately, I can't even tell you how tight the shackle bolts are because a friend of mine was putting that together while I was working on the front. What should the shackle bolts be torqued to? I'm guessing they should be greased considerably as well, right?
Unread 02-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #7
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
My RE springs were pretty bouncy for the first few hundred miles. Now it rides pretty nice. I torqued my shackles down to 50 pound-feet. That helped, too.
^^^^^^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2009, 07:53 PM   #8
Escape311
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Aaaah yes. I didn't see that ^^.

I think I may also drop the air pressure down in the tires. I'm pretty sure when I had them mounted they put 35psi in them.
Unread 02-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #9
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape311 View Post
Aaaah yes. I didn't see that ^^.

I think I may also drop the air pressure down in the tires. I'm pretty sure when I had them mounted they put 35psi in them.
That may help a lot! I usually run 25 PSI in my 33X12.50's, but one time I went to 32-35 to try & save gas......whew was that a mistake! It was bouncy as hell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
CreepyCrawler95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

flipping ur shocks gives more wheel travel? does that require chaning shockmounts or just flipping the shocks?
CreepyCrawler95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #11
Raloma
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Re

I've got the RE 2.5 ED, six leafs in front and six leafs in back on a 93 YJ and I have nothing but good to say about it. The ride is better then stock, no bounce. The flex is excellent. I also had to mount my rear shocks upside down.
Raloma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #12
Escape311
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
six leafs in front and six leafs in back
Well, that rules out my curiosity about the 5 leafs all around.

It's the RE STD kit so I figured it should be somewhat "soft". I think I'll try the air pressure drop and check the torque on the shackle bolts.

Quote:
does that require chaning shockmounts or just flipping the shocks?
The shocks just get flipped upside down is all. No changing mounts or anything. ie: Body of the shock (fat part) gets mounted at the top.
Unread 02-03-2009, 10:31 PM   #13
Cross
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawler95 View Post
flipping ur shocks gives more wheel travel? does that require chaning shockmounts or just flipping the shocks?
Flipping your shocks will not effect wheel travel. Shocks can only effect suspension travel in two ways. They can only extend to there max, and compress to there minimum. The direction you mount the shock does not change either of those. Now if the body of the shock is hitting something preventing the suspension from moving it needs attention. Really the only things that should determine your wheel travel are your bump stops and your springs and how much they droop.
Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2009, 10:35 PM   #14
Escape311
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Also, I honestly can't figure out why but you're not supposed to mount shocks upside down unless they're designed for it.

Anybody have any insight to why you're not supposed to mount hydro shocks upside down?
Unread 02-03-2009, 10:41 PM   #15
Cross
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hydro shocks are not completely filled with fluid there is some air inside them. Some shocks if you mount them upside down the air pocket is where all the valving is. This makes your shock no longer hydraulic it is just some springs mounted on a rod. If the valving is just getting air passed through it there is no resistance to slow the shock down properly.
Cross is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.