RE 1.5 SOA - five leaf or six leaf to start? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > RE 1.5 SOA - five leaf or six leaf to start?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 10-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
fishtruck
1987 YJ Wrangler 

RE 1.5 SOA - five leaf or six leaf to start?

I am replacing sagging wrangler springs this weekend on my 1987 Wrangler with an existing SOA lift, and I have four six leaf 1.5 inch SOA rubicon express springs. In addition to replacing the springs, I need to correct a 4 degree pinion angle with a 4 degree shim (I already have a SLE) to get rid of driveline vibrations that occur at exactly 60 mph. My current perches are about 1.5 inches high, and I bought new perches that are about 3/4 inches high - to help reduce any additional lift from the new springs that might aggravate the pinion angle. I have a full size 35 inch tire on the back, big rhino bumper with winch on the front, hard top, and 4.0 I6. If anything, this Jeep will only get heavier with the things I am doing to it.

On one hand... five springs seems smart to avoid aggravating the pinion angle issue. On the other hand... six springs seems smart due to the weight of the vehicle. What do you guys think? (I plan to start with six all the way around and hope the shorter perches will minimize the lift change).

fishtruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I first ran the 5 packs on the front & 6 packs on the rear (HPD30/Ford 8.8).

Eventually I removed the bottom leaf from the rear 6 packs to make them 5 packs, so they are all 5 packs now, but the spring clips are in different locations. I did so to help lower/level the ride out a little.

I have a bunch of heavy stuff up front and out back and this combo works well.

Like you mentioned, starting out with all 6 packs may work out well for you.

My current set-up is with a HPD60 where the perch shoulder is ~1/2" tall. For the rear 14B FF, I used Rock Tactics perches which are ~1/4" shoulder height.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
fishtruck
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like everyone plays around with five and six. Ill start with six all the way around with the shorter perches and see how it goes.
Unread 10-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I ran the 6 leaf packs in front for the last 2 years in my YJ. I always figured I'd run them like that and see how they broke in, then remove a leaf if I wanted to soften/lower the front. I was too lazy to ever actually remove the packs to do that so they stayed 6leaf until I bent one of the main leaves and RE sent me a new spring. While I was rebuilding the bent spring I removed the 2nd from the bottom leaf in each pack so I'm finally running 5 leaf packs. I haven't had the Jeep out since I did that but I'm sure it will be fine.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
amerdt4
1994 YJ Wrangler 

To my understanding the 5-6 aren't any different other than the extra leaf intended for anti-wrap which of coarse is for rear . When doing my lift I assumed the 6 was intended for the front due to the weight of the engine so I called RE and asked . They told me it didn't really matter because I had an anti-wrap bar anyway . My jeep sat that way for a few days until I switched it to the intended setup , no difference in stance . It was just a piece of mind move . Couldn't be happier with the spring btw.
amerdt4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
fishtruck
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys for chiming in.

I do have an anti wrap bar... so I guess fives all the way around would be the intended setup.

It might come down to a six pack and a coin toss. Maybe, I have just read too much.
Unread 10-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I looked at it like this. It's simple to make a 6 leaf pack a 5 leaf. Making a 5 into a 6, not so much. I think you'll be fine either way.
Unread 10-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
fishtruck
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
I looked at it like this. It's simple to make a 6 leaf pack a 5 leaf. Making a 5 into a 6, not so much. I think you'll be fine either way.
Did you notice any difference going from 6 to 5?
Unread 10-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't taken the jeep out since I changed it. Just did that a couple weeks ago after Dixie Run when I bent a spring.
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
I first ran the 5 packs on the front & 6 packs on the rear (HPD30/Ford 8.8).

Eventually I removed the bottom leaf from the rear 6 packs to make them 5 packs, so they are all 5 packs now, but the spring clips are in different locations. I did so to help lower/level the ride out a little.

I have a bunch of heavy stuff up front and out back and this combo works well.

Like you mentioned, starting out with all 6 packs may work out well for you.

My current set-up is with a HPD60 where the perch shoulder is ~1/2" tall. For the rear 14B FF, I used Rock Tactics perches which are ~1/4" shoulder height.
and quite flexy, too, I might add.

Joe used to be the official pic whore...
He seems to be slowing... I suspect it is his age catching up with him... so I'll whore a pic in his stead...

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerdt4 View Post
To my understanding the 5-6 aren't any different other than the extra leaf intended for anti-wrap which of coarse is for rear.
Yep, they are similar, but not the same.

The spring clips are in different locations along the length of the leafs, and the leafs (beside the main leaf) are different lengths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
Joe used to be the official pic whore...
He seems to be slowing... I suspect it is his age catching up with him... so I'll whore a pic in his stead...
Hey Randy, yeah, I'm slowing.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 05:29 AM   #12
fishtruck
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Cool pic!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.