RC 4" Lift Kit - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > RC 4" Lift Kit

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15Ē/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 07-13-2008, 01:13 PM   #61
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
[
If the leaf springs you have are this design, and you end-up with this as your rear shackle angle (very poor), and the spring clips are clamped down tight like these (very restrictive and prohibit flex greatly), I can't see how these leafs could ever perform nice.

If your leaf spring shackle and leaf are not at an angle of ~90* statically, then they tend to fight each other and cause unwanted suspension dynamics. The greater angle they are from ~90* the worse things tend to be and shackle inversion can come into play be it the front shackles or the rears.

Way too many restrictions and a poor design if you ask me.
Those pics aren't a good representation of the shackle angle, right now they are right around 90* to each other. I think longer, boomer style shackles would remedy that problem. Your right about the spring clamps though, not the best design. I did find that if you pry the clamps open a little it will let the springs move and flex more. For the money, and how I use my rig, these springs perform better than I expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. O'rouke
"The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Itís a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."
tuckinauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2008, 02:15 PM   #62
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You may even try to open them all the way, drill bolt holes in the clamps, and run a bolt across the upper end. Yeah, this will probably void any warranty and you want to do it using heat if at all possible on the clamps and select a bolt that's not too big nor too small. This way, the clamps will allow much better spring pack movement. It's much easier to do while the leafs are removed & using a drill press, but you get the idea.

When we were testing various leaf clamp designs and engineering leaf packs that we were going to put on the market, we would do this on a regular basis.

I do like the pads between each leaf end.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2008, 02:27 PM   #63
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
You may even try to open them all the way, drill bolt holes in the clamps, and run a bolt across the upper end. Yeah, this will probably void any warranty and you want to do it using heat if at all possible on the clamps and select a bolt that's not too big nor too small. This way, the clamps will allow much better spring pack movement. It's much easier to do while the leafs are removed & using a drill press, but you get the idea.

When we were testing various leaf clamp designs and engineering leaf packs that we were going to put on the market, we would do this on a regular basis.

I do like the pads between each leaf end.
If I had the time/resources to do that, I would look into it. Does anyone sell replacement spring clamps? I'll have to ask Ryan and see how that would affect the warranty.

Quote:
"The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Itís a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."
Unread 07-13-2008, 04:58 PM   #64
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I don't build leaf springs for a living anymore, but....I do have a spring shop just a couple miles from where I live. They'd probably sell me some open clamp designed clips if I asked. Or you could ask a local spring maker if you have one, or call a few.

The thing about those clamps and trying to replace them, is that they are often installed using a huck bolt, which is similar to a common pop-rivet. Like these: http://www.rivco.co.uk/huck.html

They are usually not easily removed due to the huck, plus, a huck tool is best when installing a huck, especially in an application like a leaf spring.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2008, 11:16 PM   #65
jerseyrider1119
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Is there anything you need the DOESN't come with the kit... brake lines ect..
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.

I only read the pictures!

95 Rio Grande- 4" Pro Comp lift, 235x75r15 on stock Alloys, Boomerangs, Piolet Trail Lights, Hurc'd, No Sways or Trac, Custom Under Dash Wiring Harness
jerseyrider1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2008, 11:19 PM   #66
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyrider1119 View Post
Is there anything you need the DOESN't come with the kit... brake lines ect..
Brake lines don't come with the kit, but you dont necessarly "need" them. Everything else to make it work is included. Even the sweet Rough Country sticker.

Quote:
Unread 12-23-2008, 10:02 PM   #67
greenerob
2014 JK Wrangler 

How do I loosen the t-case bolts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckinauster View Post

The t-case drop was really easy. The only tips I have for that is to make sure you loosen the t-case mount bolts so the skid plate is free to slide. An extra set of hands makes it a lot easier to get the holes lined up.

Heres the driveshaft angle. The best part, no vibes at all!!!

Rob

1995 Jeep Wrangler Rio Grande 4in RC Lift 33" Tires with 73,000 miles. Auto Trans
greenerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2008, 10:36 PM   #68
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenerob View Post
How do I loosen the t-case bolts?
Use a wrench...

Quote:
Unread 12-24-2008, 07:26 AM   #69
greenerob
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckinauster View Post
Use a wrench...
Really?

I meant where are they?

Rob

1995 Jeep Wrangler Rio Grande 4in RC Lift 33" Tires with 73,000 miles. Auto Trans
greenerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2008, 07:33 AM   #70
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenerob View Post
Really?

I meant where are they?
The two bolts sticking down thru the center of the skidplate. The tcase/tranny mount bolts.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 07:24 PM   #71
noflacko
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
The two bolts sticking down thru the center of the skidplate. The tcase/tranny mount bolts.
6 total...the skid plate is held up by six bolts. You have to use your floor jack and hold it up there while you put in the pucks (or bar) and longer bolts. Should tighten back up nicely.

Cleveland, TN Jeepers UNITE! Monthly meet-N-greet, every third Saturday at Jordan's BBQ!
noflacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 08:27 PM   #72
durangoyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflacko View Post
6 total...the skid plate is held up by six bolts. You have to use your floor jack and hold it up there while you put in the pucks (or bar) and longer bolts. Should tighten back up nicely.
You and Rusty are talking about different sets of bolts. I think it is recommended that you loosen the bolts that mount the t-case to the crossmember. Yes there are six bolts to remove when lowering the t-case but it's probably advisable to loosen the bolts actually mounting the t-case to the x-member.

Did I get that right Rusty?

Colorado Jeep Club Member # 176

\m/(..)\m/ "Rock on!"
durangoyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 08:32 PM   #73
noflacko
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't loosen those...I left it mounted on the upper side of the skid... Should I go back and loosen everything, then tighten it back down?

Cleveland, TN Jeepers UNITE! Monthly meet-N-greet, every third Saturday at Jordan's BBQ!
noflacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2009, 06:07 AM   #74
bcameron1974

Quote:
I didn't loosen those...I left it mounted on the upper side of the skid... Should I go back and loosen everything, then tighten it back down?
I wanna know this also...

also I gotta tell ya those front lower shock nuts ...omg they suck Ive just started the first one and its pita...gotta get a new blade for the cutoff tool...sucks starting thsi project at 6pm and doin it outside..
bcameron1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 03:55 PM   #75
jdgronemeyer1s
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I just ordered mine for my YJ, and I plan on doing the install Saturday. So, basically the "tcase drop brakets" are just spacers between the skid plate and the frame? Also, I dont have access to a torch, just air tools. Will it be real tough getting the bolts out?

And great writeup, Im sure it will be very helpful for me when I get going on this.

Thanks
jdgronemeyer1s is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.