Well since Rough Country started using new leaf springs, I decided to give them a shot and ordered up a kit from the RC vendor here on the forum. The kit shipped the same day, and so far customer service has been second to none.
Here's a before picture of my rig. 33's, 1.5" shackles, TJ flares.
The rocker height before:
The directions said to lift the front first, but there was a '04 corvette in the way so we had to do the rear first. A few days before we installed it, i hit all the bolts with PB blaster a few times. It seemed to help a lot because the all of hardware spun right off, no broken bolts!!
The rear is pretty self explanatory, make sure the frame is securely on jack stands. I took the shocks and track bar off first, and let the axle hang by the springs. Then i took the floor jack and supported axle by the pumpkin. Next i took the shackle off and then the u-bolts.
This is what you should end up with.
Next came the fun part
. The bolts that hold the spring to the frame were pretty much welded in after 18 years of never moving. I had to use a MAPP gas torch and burn the bushing out enough to push the spring over so i could cut the bolt. A sawzall blade would just get gummed up with the melted bushing, so I got real good with a cut-off wheel.
Once I got the bolt off, and after a quick run to the hardware store to get replacements, the new spring went in without a hitch. After I got everything bolted up I switched sides, It all went smooth except i had to burn out the other spring bushing bolt.
With the new spring installed:
After i had both springs in, I lowered the jeep down and put the shocks in and torqued everything. I didnt mess with the track bar brackets, as it won't be spending anymore time under my jeep.
With the rear lifted:
After I got the jeep moved back enough so the vette wasn't in the way we started on the front. The first thing we did was pull the pitman arm. With a little heat and some persuasion from a BFH, it popped right off. Next the swaybar and track bar came off, followed by the front shocks. After everything was disconnected, it was pretty much the same deal as the rear. Of course the front spring bushings both had to be burned out and cut off.
Again the PB blaster treatments seemed to work great, as everything came off really smooth.
Disconnecting the front:
The t-case drop was really easy. The only tips I have for that is to make sure you loosen the t-case mount bolts so the skid plate is free to slide. An extra set of hands makes it a lot easier to get the holes lined up.
Heres the driveshaft angle. The best part, no vibes at all!!!
All in all, with the running around we did, the lift took about 8 hours to finish. So far I'm very happy with how it turned out. It rides a little stiff, but its getting better as the springs break in. The only concern i had was the left rear spring started to break in sooner and it gave the jeep what was described to me as a "shoulder lean." I called RC about it and they said that it would go away once the springs are finished breaking in. In the last couple days it has started to level out. Here are some pics of it all finished, and a few flexing on the snowbanks at work. I'm sure I've forgot some stuff, so if you have any questions, comments or suggestions please let me know.