RC 4" Lift Kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > RC 4" Lift Kit

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 03-15-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

RC 4" Lift Kit

Well since Rough Country started using new leaf springs, I decided to give them a shot and ordered up a kit from the RC vendor here on the forum. The kit shipped the same day, and so far customer service has been second to none.

Here's a before picture of my rig. 33's, 1.5" shackles, TJ flares.

The rocker height before:

The directions said to lift the front first, but there was a '04 corvette in the way so we had to do the rear first. A few days before we installed it, i hit all the bolts with PB blaster a few times. It seemed to help a lot because the all of hardware spun right off, no broken bolts!!
The rear is pretty self explanatory, make sure the frame is securely on jack stands. I took the shocks and track bar off first, and let the axle hang by the springs. Then i took the floor jack and supported axle by the pumpkin. Next i took the shackle off and then the u-bolts.

This is what you should end up with.

Next came the fun part . The bolts that hold the spring to the frame were pretty much welded in after 18 years of never moving. I had to use a MAPP gas torch and burn the bushing out enough to push the spring over so i could cut the bolt. A sawzall blade would just get gummed up with the melted bushing, so I got real good with a cut-off wheel.

Once I got the bolt off, and after a quick run to the hardware store to get replacements, the new spring went in without a hitch. After I got everything bolted up I switched sides, It all went smooth except i had to burn out the other spring bushing bolt.

With the new spring installed:

After i had both springs in, I lowered the jeep down and put the shocks in and torqued everything. I didnt mess with the track bar brackets, as it won't be spending anymore time under my jeep.

With the rear lifted:

After I got the jeep moved back enough so the vette wasn't in the way we started on the front. The first thing we did was pull the pitman arm. With a little heat and some persuasion from a BFH, it popped right off. Next the swaybar and track bar came off, followed by the front shocks. After everything was disconnected, it was pretty much the same deal as the rear. Of course the front spring bushings both had to be burned out and cut off.
Again the PB blaster treatments seemed to work great, as everything came off really smooth.

Disconnecting the front:

Front lifted:

The t-case drop was really easy. The only tips I have for that is to make sure you loosen the t-case mount bolts so the skid plate is free to slide. An extra set of hands makes it a lot easier to get the holes lined up.

Heres the driveshaft angle. The best part, no vibes at all!!!

All in all, with the running around we did, the lift took about 8 hours to finish. So far I'm very happy with how it turned out. It rides a little stiff, but its getting better as the springs break in. The only concern i had was the left rear spring started to break in sooner and it gave the jeep what was described to me as a "shoulder lean." I called RC about it and they said that it would go away once the springs are finished breaking in. In the last couple days it has started to level out. Here are some pics of it all finished, and a few flexing on the snowbanks at work. I'm sure I've forgot some stuff, so if you have any questions, comments or suggestions please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. O'rouke
"The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Itís a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."
tuckinauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

More Pics:

Quote:
"The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Itís a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."
Unread 03-15-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
bigredcherokee
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Nice job! looks good.
bigredcherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
millersjeeps
1995 YJ Wrangler 

looks good. ive been thinking about getting the same lift for my 95. let me know how the new springs RC is using feel in a couple months.
Zombie Outbreak Response Vehicles Member #2

Anyone can go to hell, lets see who makes it back.
millersjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2008, 09:11 PM   #5
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by millersjeeps View Post
looks good. ive been thinking about getting the same lift for my 95. let me know how the new springs RC is using feel in a couple months.
i'll keep this thread updated as the springs finish breaking in. so far they are working in nicely.

Quote:
Unread 03-15-2008, 09:49 PM   #6
thegrimlinyj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Why does your wrangler have round head lights?
thegrimlinyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2008, 09:56 PM   #7
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

You suck you know that, LOL.

Now go get yourself a face shield before you take shrapnal in the eye

Looks good man.

-Rusty

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2008, 10:11 PM   #8
Barrio
1992 YJ Wrangler 

looks real good bro, i cant wait till spring to start mine!!
-Rio Red 1995 Ford Mustang- Daily Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfmoney
i see theres a bunch of toughguys on this forum or internet gangstas
Barrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2008, 11:36 PM   #9
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrimlinyj View Post
Why does your wrangler have round head lights?
factory option

Quote:
Unread 03-15-2008, 11:39 PM   #10
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
You suck you know that, LOL.

Now go get yourself a face shield before you take shrapnal in the eye

Looks good man.

-Rusty
thats not the first time i've heard that. don't you have a BDS lift on the way?

Quote:
Unread 03-16-2008, 12:01 AM   #11
yjsupporter
1989 YJ Wrangler 

nice thread
yjsupporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2008, 12:47 AM   #12
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the write-up, nice touch with the photos of the before and after "tale of the tape." As things settle in, let us know how the measurements end up. I may very well be putting this same lift on my 93 later on this spring what with your photos and all the encouraging words from the RC representative, but since I run 31's to your 33's, it may be a bit too much lift. On your project, you went back to standard shackles and got rid of the 1.5" lift shackles, right? Thanks, and good work.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2008, 12:54 AM   #13
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckinauster View Post
thats not the first time i've heard that. don't you have a BDS lift on the way?
Hey now that's not very nice to..... Well, yea, what's it to ya??

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2008, 06:43 AM   #14
vfrpilot
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
since I run 31's to your 33's, it may be a bit too much lift. ......
With 31's [I]
l--L-⌐OlllllllO-
▒)ĮĮ ▒)--♂-▒)
Criminals thrive on society's indulgence in tolerance
vfrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2008, 10:01 AM   #15
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
Hey now that's not very nice to..... Well, yea, what's it to ya??

I guess that means I'll keep my eyes open for your lift thread. Hopefully it'll include some action shots, if you have your jeep put back together enough that is

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.