rattling from tranny/tcase - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > rattling from tranny/tcase

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
lanny94
1990 YJ Wrangler 

rattling from tranny/tcase

i have a 1990 jeep yj with the 4.2, ax15, and np231. the tranny was taken apart last week from a fairly reputable jeep shop and they inspected it and where essentially left scratching there heads. about a year ago i put the sye in on my tcase. thats my background info if anything else is needed let me know.

so for the past month my tranny/.tcase has been making very sketchy/worry sounds the best way to describe it is that a piece a metal is flying around it only happens once i get into 3rd gear and the higher the gear the worse it gets/more i press the pedal down.

i have also replaved 4x4 shifter and all new piping/muffler in the past week

hopefully that works

lanny94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
lanny94
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Any one?
lanny94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanny94
/more i press the pedal down.
As in the clutch pedal?
Have you replaced the throwout bearing?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i was getting some noise out of my zj transfercase and it was the chain. i dont think pushing in the clutch changed the noise tho , so it might be something else. ive never had a bad throw out bearing so i dont know the symtems of that. see if the tc oil has a lot of metal in it like my zj did.
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The throwout bearing will cause a terrible noise when the clutch pedal a pressed. It's hard to describe, but it will make your heart drop to your balls when you hear it. It's kinda a grindingish noise.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.