rattling from tranny/tcase - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > rattling from tranny/tcase

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Poison Spyder from CCOR!JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 04-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
lanny94
1990 YJ Wrangler 

rattling from tranny/tcase

i have a 1990 jeep yj with the 4.2, ax15, and np231. the tranny was taken apart last week from a fairly reputable jeep shop and they inspected it and where essentially left scratching there heads. about a year ago i put the sye in on my tcase. thats my background info if anything else is needed let me know.

so for the past month my tranny/.tcase has been making very sketchy/worry sounds the best way to describe it is that a piece a metal is flying around it only happens once i get into 3rd gear and the higher the gear the worse it gets/more i press the pedal down.

i have also replaved 4x4 shifter and all new piping/muffler in the past week

hopefully that works

lanny94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
lanny94
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Any one?
lanny94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanny94
/more i press the pedal down.
As in the clutch pedal?
Have you replaced the throwout bearing?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i was getting some noise out of my zj transfercase and it was the chain. i dont think pushing in the clutch changed the noise tho , so it might be something else. ive never had a bad throw out bearing so i dont know the symtems of that. see if the tc oil has a lot of metal in it like my zj did.
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The throwout bearing will cause a terrible noise when the clutch pedal a pressed. It's hard to describe, but it will make your heart drop to your balls when you hear it. It's kinda a grindingish noise.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.