rattling noise under jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > rattling noise under jeep

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-11-2003, 06:40 AM   #1
NJJeeper

rattling noise under jeep

My jeep is making a rattly sort of noise. It had started out a week ago as more like a squealing noise, and as I have had a bit of trouble losing clutch fluid, I thought it was the throw-out bearing. But it now more like a rattling, maybe even a metal like noise, like a piece of chain. It is coming from underneath the car, possibly from the front drivers side. Pushing in the clutch does not affect it at all. It only happens while driving, not idling it does not pick up speed with driving, but if I hit my brakes pretty hard, but do not come to a stop, the instant I hit the brakes the noise stops. the minute I give the car gas and get going the noise starts up again. You don't always hear the noise, and I believe it is stopping at high speeds. But at lower speeds when i am driving along walls/cattle shoots I can hear the noise echoing. On Friday I am going to start taking things apart to find the noise. Any ideas.
By the way, it does not seem to be affecting the performance of the vehicle. It is driving just fine. I have not, however, had it in 4wd since the snow storm.

Red Jeep Club Member #9
NJJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2003, 09:41 AM   #2
aknotter
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like your catalytic converter. The media in the
converter will separate and rattle around in there.
Sounds like a large marble in a tin can, right?
Unread 03-11-2003, 10:12 AM   #3
NJJeeper

The cat convertor is one of the things I was going to check. But, the noise seems to be coming from the front left of the car. It sounds more like a piece of chain rattling or jingling.

Red Jeep Club Member #9
Unread 03-11-2003, 10:20 AM   #4
swoodnj

This may sound crazy, but check the arm that holds the hood up...When I first got my Jeep there was a rattling sound that drove me crazy...to me it sounded like it was coming from the firewall area too. After much poking around I saw that the previous owner had put some tie wraps around that arm, but they had snapped. I threw a new tie wrap around it and it's been nice and quiet ever since.

Steve W
[color=silver]Bright Silver[/color] Metallic Clear Coat Exterior Paint Club member #18
swoodnj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2003, 06:24 PM   #5
RideRed04

Mine does the exact same thing...but it still squeals. The squealing happens for me when I start it, sometimes when I take off, and sometimes when I downshift. The rattling seems to only happen on bumpy roads when the weather is warmer (above 30) and more humid (your throat isnt bone dry all the time). Are they related? I was thinking throwout bearing and something else...I'll have to check the cat. A friend told me to check the motor mount too. Any way to check the cat without taking it off?
Unread 03-12-2003, 06:57 PM   #6
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

this is probably a long shot, but check your front rotors. my mom's grand prix once snapped the outer ring of the rotor right off the inner hub. we're not sure how it happened but it did. this sound something like that, since it stops when you hit the brakes and when not moving. but it was one hell of a god awful noise when it went. just like you said, a bunch of rattling and clanging around as the freed ring got spun around and around the hub. going faster might be allowing the broken ring to spin like a hula hoop twirling around your wrist. it would cause an imbalance but since it's not that heavy you might not notice it. it's something to check anyway. good luck.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2003, 08:11 PM   #7
CubanJeeper

The cat would rattle at idle.

Another idea, is perhaps you have a loose wheel bearing. This happened to my dad once and it was really annoying. Just a thought.
[b][color=red]Red Jeep Club Member #33[/color][/b]

Red 94 4.0L Stock 5-spd YJ - 106k mi
SteelHorse UltraTop Soft Top - Alpine Head Unit - 4x6 Clarion Plate Speakers (dash) - Pioneer 6x9s(rear) - 10" Advent Subwoofer in Custom Enclosure - SoundStream USA 180w amp - Cobra 29LTD CB - 5ft Firestick II antenna - Dual Air Horns - Restrictor Free
CubanJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2003, 09:10 PM   #8
NJJeeper

I don't think it is a bearing because I have heard a bad bearing before, but I will check. Will check the breaks too, as this is what the noise sounds like. But while you are driving it really sounds like it is coming from somewhere in the drivetrain. And if I quickly hit the brakes it immediately stops. It doesn't come to a slow down then stop. Sometimes it is really loud like a chain or something clanking around. Other times it is non-existent. And yet, no matter how loud the noise gets, there is no change in the driveability of the vehicle. I am wondering if something is trapped underneath somewhere, like a rock or a bolt or some piece of metal.
For the past two months it has poured or snowed every Fri, and Sat. (my days off) and I have been working on some emergency problem on a vehicle every day.
Fuel pump - Jeep
Fuel pump - daughter's Thunderbird
Tune up, brakes - thunderbird
Transmission - town and country Decide to junk
Strip down town and country so junk yard can get
Clutch - Jeep problem not solved
Water pump - thunderbird
Body work on Jeep to get ready for paint job, replace fender and remove decals and trim- at least two weekends
This weekend, take good look at clutch problems on Jeep, find rattling noise on Jeep, get T'bird thru emissions inspections if necessary take it to check codes. Find out why brake lights are not working on t'bird.
If not able to solve the clutch problems with a good bleeding, then in two weeks guess what I'll be doing.

Red Jeep Club Member #9
Unread 03-12-2003, 11:05 PM   #9
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

jeeze NJ, that sounds awful familiar. only my list goes:
clutch on jeep (again) think i got that licked now though
mom's wiper motor linkage is shot. pop link back on.
pop link on again next storm. screw it and get new linkage from junk yard. install linkage in -20F cold
Dad needs help with rear drums.
Mom breaks Dad's brakes. Put in new line. See front pads need changing since rear drums shot.
Posi-lok wait to be installed on Jeep (done yesterday. Sweet!)
Herculiner waiting on weather.
Snow on it's way tomorrow. What else is new.

Just out of curiosity, where in NJ are you? used to be down there all the time with my old job. if you're up north maybe i could give you a hand sometime if you need it. or go wheeling sometime. i'm looking to hit paragon in the next month or two. be going on their monthly trail ride since i haven't found too many locals that want to ride the easier trails. be my first time doing some serious off roading. been out in the fields a couple times but nothing major. gotta start somewhere. good luck with the list of repairs!

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2003, 07:29 AM   #10
CubanJeeper

Cars are like women. Fun to have, but they're too much maintenance. Yet, we have no other choice.
[b][color=red]Red Jeep Club Member #33[/color][/b]

Red 94 4.0L Stock 5-spd YJ - 106k mi
SteelHorse UltraTop Soft Top - Alpine Head Unit - 4x6 Clarion Plate Speakers (dash) - Pioneer 6x9s(rear) - 10" Advent Subwoofer in Custom Enclosure - SoundStream USA 180w amp - Cobra 29LTD CB - 5ft Firestick II antenna - Dual Air Horns - Restrictor Free
CubanJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2003, 09:50 AM   #11
NJJeeper

Sentinal,
I am as far south in NJ as you can get. My jeep is fairly new and stock. I have a few projects to work on over the summer before it really goes off road. But I do drive it down on the beach. Oh, and like you when the weather breaks I am going to do Herculiner. At the same time I will be changing out the front seats, and upgrading the roll bar. It's great that you help your parents out with their cars.

Oh, and since we've never talked, I'm a Jeep girl. I get the info, read the guides, and hand tools while my husband fixes the jeep for me. We've had cherokees for years and this is our first Wrangler. Jeeps force you to know how to fix things. I know more about the motor on my jeep then any girl I know.

Red Jeep Club Member #9
Unread 03-13-2003, 11:44 AM   #12
iamthemellowman

check your brake pads... if you lose the retaining spring clips, loose pads sound terrible. Try lightly driving the brakes with the left foot while giving gas with the right, if it goes away then i suspect it's your pads or caliper being an issue. ... i would imagine that even while coasting the noise occurs?

as far as your clutch fluid, i've heard the master cylinder is a common problem.. (it is on mine, fluid can be seen along the firewall)
Unread 03-13-2003, 12:02 PM   #13
NJJeeper

Yes it makes the noise while coasting, unless I hit the brakes. If I hit the brakes sharply even if it does not come to a stop and then allow it to coast to a stop the noise stops and does not come back until I give it gas. The brakes are a thought I had also. Tomorrow I have off and will be spending the day going over these two problems. I hope I can solve them both. I have a surfing trip planned with my sons at Cape Hatteras over Easter break and want everything in order.
I am unsure if the rattling stops because when I hit the brakes they are the problem, or if the sudden stop causes whatever is loose to come to a stop. It is times like this when I wish I was involved with a local jeep club or knew some local jeepers. Sometimes just another set of ears can be a great help.

Red Jeep Club Member #9
Unread 03-13-2003, 05:04 PM   #14
89YJmoneypit
KMG365

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah,I was thinking it might be brake pads too,or possibly a broken caliper bolt.
Red Jeep club #8

97 ZJ Laredo
4.0, 42re, NP242
Was my daily driver, now son's college wheels.

Marseilles Fire Dept: http://www.flickr.com/photos/4461494...th/7659346164/
89YJmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2003, 09:08 AM   #15
NJJeeper

If you can imagine, it is friday, no work, and for the past two days the darn thing has not been making this bad noise. I will pull the wheel and check a couple of other things and try to find something that duplicates the noise. But if it won't do it, I may not be able to trace it until it does it again.

Red Jeep Club Member #9

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.