Raspberry Pi for use as.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Raspberry Pi for use as..

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 10-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
Beefalobart
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Raspberry Pi for use as..

First and primary reason for me wanting to install a Raspberry Pi is for music, and maybe a DVR like setup for cameras placed around the Jeep. however, something got brewing in my head to wonder what it would take to do a certain mod to the YJ so that I would be able to have an on screen display of engine performance, and maybe basic tuning features.

The Jeep YJ ECU seems to be EPROM based. There are GM sites that people have taken and removed the EPROM chip and put in a socket or piggyback so that they can convert the system to have some programing ability.

What Im wondering is what will it take to convert a STOCK ECU over to become readable and programmable via use of a Raspberry Pi.

EPROM socket adapter, software, and so on.

As I make progress with my Raspberry Pi install I will post some pics to show where and how I installed it. First guess is to put it in my Smittybilt center console using the Stereo mounting location to add a motorized LCD monitor. I will remove the motor and make it so I can manually pull it out and put it back in later on. Also make it so the computer is not switched from the key. I dont want to create any sort of UPS or soft shutdown. I will have a solid state hard drive that is USB so that I can store all my MP3s, and have room for the DVR portion of the operation. WiFi will connect to my phone for internet access while in the Jeep.

Planning stage is allways the toughest part. Get the idea solid before ever turning a wrench.

Beefalobart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So your putting in electronics worth 4 times what the Jeep is. What happens when it gets wet.....Me thinks you might find more help of this sort in the street jeep section. They like all this junk there. We dont like to fry 5 grand worth of electronics because it got wet during that last river crossing.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
So your putting in electronics worth 4 times what the Jeep is. What happens when it gets wet.....Me thinks you might find more help of this sort in the street jeep section. They like all this junk there. We dont like to fry 5 grand worth of electronics because it got wet during that last river crossing.

Box cutterrs go through a softtop pretty quickly.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
piotrsko
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not thinking a 93 Wranglers worth only a hundred bucks. Raspberry pi's are cheap. If the op has OBDII then the data port has all the incorporation for data read regarding their engine parameters in serial asci format. Ref: obd readers for android. Not sure about open source code quite yet.
piotrsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
dan240
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrsko View Post
I'm not thinking a 93 Wranglers worth only a hundred bucks. Raspberry pi's are cheap. If the op has OBDII then the data port has all the incorporation for data read regarding their engine parameters in serial asci format. Ref: obd readers for android. Not sure about open source code quite yet.
Agreed. This is not that expensive of a project, just a lot of work.

The 93 is OBD1. Will have to socket the Eprom but I don't know of anyone who is able to tune it or any software for that ECU. Link to something that might help below. Looks like he had to convert to a GM batch fire ecu to get support, not sure if it went anywhere.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...jeep-ecm/page5

Good Luck!
Unread 10-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

No YJ's are OBDII some arent even OBDI. Its gonna take some serious electronics to do what all he says he wants to do.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Why do it?

Ummmmm....'cause it's awesome!?

Seriously, Rasberry Pi has nearly unlimited capabilities for cheap if you know what you're doing. This would be a seriously awesome project that I would follow in a heartbeat.

As to the "how", I have no clue, because YJs really aren't set up for sending back a lot of diagnostic feedback (hence why I like them), but to incorporate a lot of other electronics would be awesome.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

As an mp3 player, map reader/navigation, video player, dash cam, alarm and maybe even reading the codes it seems like a Raspberry Pi might be a cool thing to use. But controlling the engine seems like a whole lot of work for no real gain plus make it less dependable than it is stock.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
Beefalobart
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The engine control portion is a bit of a stretch I know. I have found a place that sells ALDL bluetooth adapters, and USB, did send him an email asking for one that will work on the Jeep OBD1 setup. As for the Music stuff, thats really easy. Most expensive part is the solid state hard drive. The Raspberry Pi sells for $35 for the 512m version, and the other parts combined with a cheap case would still be around the $120 mark. The next step is finding Linux based DVR like software that will allow me to have 3-4 cameras or more. Cheap USB Cameras would be fine, cheap with ok picture is the hardest hurdle. I avoid mud whenever possible, and the only water issues would be rain. But as we all know it never rains when our tops are down.

There are windows based mini computers and windows based software available, but the Raspberry Pi looks like its going to stick around with the most support. Im sure somewhere there is a datalogging program that will work on linux. And why do this, yes cuz its cool, and cuz I can. Besides I can use it to play minecraft while at lunch lol.

One thing to be added will be the GPS adapter, and see if I can use it to map waypoints for trails. A trail logging android app I tried on my last phone worked awesome to log in the location of a trail locally even though the interface sucks. There are tons of uses for this lil project of having an onboard computer.

If anyone can give input or possible other uses feel free.
Beefalobart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Multiple usb cameras is going to be a problem too. It just isn't that powerful.

Post on the Raspberry Pi message board.

Alpinequest is a good GPS program to use on your phone.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.