Randomly won't start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Randomly won't start

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 11-24-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
plyguitar45
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Randomly won't start

So I get out of school today and turn the key,
and I get nothing. No click or anything. Everything inside the cab turns on. Battery has full power (even tried jumping it anyway) but nothing from the ignition.

Ended up having to go back over later in the night and just roll started it.

Anyone know why it would randomly not turn on?
Started up fine (maybe a little slow) in the morning when I left for school.

Thanks for any help.

-SOLD MY JEEP :(-
2.5L Red '91 YJ w/ 2.5" RC lift, 2" BL, 31" MT Baja Claws, Superwinch LP8500, RH4x4 Front Bumper, JKS Quick Disco's, Rampage Nerf Bars
plyguitar45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have a starter interrupt alarm system or other starter kill switch installed? If so, make sure it is working properly.

If you are getting no click sound from the starter relay when you try to start the engine, then the relay may be sticking or going bad. Check the entire starter circuit first for corrosion, breaks, loose wires or bad grounds before considering replacing the relay.

Make sure the battery terminals/posts are corrosion free, scuff off the oxidation with a terminal cleaner tool or sandpaper and retighten them just for good measure.

Last edited by NonRubicon; 11-24-2009 at 09:10 PM..
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
plyguitar45
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonRubicon View Post
Do you have a starter interrupt alarm system or other starter kill switch installed? If so, make sure it is working properly.

If you are getting no click sound from the starter relay when you try to start the engine, then the relay may be sticking or going bad. Check the entire starter cicuit first for corrosion, breaks, loose wires or bad grounds before considering replacing the relay.

Make sure the battery terminals/posts are corrosion free, scuff off the oxidation with a terminal cleaner tool or sandpaper and retighten them just for good measure.
I did all those things with the battery.
And at one point it did have a starter alarm system thing. I didn't even know about it until it gave me lots of problems over the summer. Anyway, that is removed now.

I guess I will start by checking out the starter.

2.5L Red '91 YJ w/ 2.5" RC lift, 2" BL, 31" MT Baja Claws, Superwinch LP8500, RH4x4 Front Bumper, JKS Quick Disco's, Rampage Nerf Bars
Unread 11-24-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
DirtyJeepBoy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

See if its in park all the way, I had this problem before, did 3 hours of work out of the way and my friend said is it in park all the way and it showed it was, but i pushed on it and sure enough it started..
[COLOR="darkgreen"]My Build:[/COLOR]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/dirty-jeep-boy-tj-build-w-pics-1054939/"]Dirty Jeep Boy -TJ Build w/ Pics[/URL]
BDS/BTF/MCE[/CENTER][/B]
DirtyJeepBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 11:07 PM   #5
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds similar to what a neutral safety switch would do on an 3 speed... On my 3 speed auto, its located on the driver's side of the tranny above the pan. IF that connection were failing intermitently, it would not allow any cranking what-so-ever from the vehicle ignition, but after starting, it wouldn't matter if the connection was good or not.

The wires on the 4.0 with the 3 speed's have a tendancy to melt and cause intermitant starting issues.

However this is all completely irrelevent IF the 4 banger's dont have the neutral safety switch lol (i've only owned the 4.0 with the 3 speed so I wouldnt know )I know you can push start the things so I dont know if this means they dont have the switch or what... lol.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 11:09 PM   #6
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

OP has a manual tranny, no switches.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 11:10 PM   #7
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ah alas, I figured... lol thanks for clearing that one up. I had a sneaking suspension there wasn't, but thought I would throw that in there anyway because having that stupid thing unplugged on my tranny will cause a world of confusion if you dont know it's there haha.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 11:15 PM   #8
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsWrong View Post
See if its in park all the way, I had this problem before, did 3 hours of work out of the way and my friend said is it in park all the way and it showed it was, but i pushed on it and sure enough it started..
Good point to consider, although for a standard shift tranny the issue would be the clutch safety switch if so equipped on the rig. I do not have one on my 1990 YJ, but I'm not sure when they started putting them in Wranglers (maybe started with the TJ's).
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 11:17 PM   #9
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonRubicon View Post
Good point to consider, although for a standard shift tranny the issue would be the clutch safety switch if so equipped on the rig. I do not have one on my 1990 YJ, but I'm not sure when they started putting them in Wranglers (maybe started with the TJ's).
Correct. No YJs had clutch kill switches.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2009, 08:48 AM   #10
dgasw
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have the same issue sometimes with my 93 4.0L Manual. When you turn the key to start nothing happens except the fuel pump kicks on. I went through every connection from the battery to the starter, cleaning and adding dielectric grease. I made sure that all the relays were clean. The problem went away for about a month. Then it started happening again. I think it is dirt or corrosion on the ignition tumber where the key goes. When it happens I just keep trying for awhile to start it and it usually starts after about a minute. It sucks when it happens at the gas station and people are waiting for me to move. I haven't had a chance to try and figure out how to remove the tumbler and clean it out. I think you have to remove the steering wheel to get access to remove it. Maybe someone can confirm the proper way to remove the tumbler from the steering colum.
dgasw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2009, 09:38 AM   #11
plyguitar45
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgasw View Post
I have the same issue sometimes with my 93 4.0L Manual. When you turn the key to start nothing happens except the fuel pump kicks on. I went through every connection from the battery to the starter, cleaning and adding dielectric grease. I made sure that all the relays were clean. The problem went away for about a month. Then it started happening again. I think it is dirt or corrosion on the ignition tumber where the key goes. When it happens I just keep trying for awhile to start it and it usually starts after about a minute. It sucks when it happens at the gas station and people are waiting for me to move. I haven't had a chance to try and figure out how to remove the tumbler and clean it out. I think you have to remove the steering wheel to get access to remove it. Maybe someone can confirm the proper way to remove the tumbler from the steering colum.
Over the system I ended up taking apart my steering column to fix a different ignition issue.
My tumbler wasn't dirty or corroded as far as I could tell.

I guess I will just start with checking all connections leading from the battery.

Unread 11-25-2009, 04:20 PM   #12
Smash209
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Check/trace the wire from the ignition switch to the starter solinoid. I think its brown and it goes through the large connector in the center of the firewall.
~~~~~~~~~ \\// ~~~~~~~~~~~~
Smash209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 05:04 PM   #13
dgasw
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I think I have found the problem with my intermitent starting problem. I thought I would post this so it could help some other people. If you follow down the upper left side of the steering colum under the dash you will see a rod about an 1/8" in diameter. Follow this down to the module mounted on the steering colum. This rod is attched to a small gear that rotates with the tumbler. Remove the module by unscrewing the bolts and disconnect the two harness connectors. With the unit out you can bend the two end tabs and remove the plastic part from the metal mounting plate. Becareful because the parts inside are spring loaded. Clean the metal connectors and apply dielectric grease. Reassemble the unit and reinstall. If you have trouble reaching the module you can remove the brackets that hold the colum to the firewall and remove the two bolts mounting the colum to the dash frame. I was surprised how much dirt was in this module. Hopefully this solves my problem for good.
dgasw is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.