ran out of gas, now jeep wont start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ran out of gas, now jeep wont start

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-24-2011, 12:28 AM   #1
InEmberClad
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ran out of gas, now jeep wont start

so I had left the jeep with a mechanic buddy of mine to replace the clutch, he gives it back to me running on fumes which is fine, there's a gas station up the street. Jeep dies as I pull up to the pump and I'm thinking "wow how lucky"
... fill her up and now it won't start at all. Pretty much like there's no fuel in it.
thoughts?

InEmberClad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 12:34 AM   #2
austentatious
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Need more info. Whats it doing when you try to turn it on? Is it turning over? Or is there nothing happening at all? Any specific noises?

|ProComp|Rokmen|Zone|MetalCloak|RockHard|Mastercraft|TomWoods|Novak|TenFactory|Synergy|
austentatious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 12:45 AM   #3
InEmberClad
1989 YJ Wrangler 

starter still cranks, fuel pump still primes, it just won't fire.
InEmberClad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 12:49 AM   #4
austentatious
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I would check your spark and then go from there

|ProComp|Rokmen|Zone|MetalCloak|RockHard|Mastercraft|TomWoods|Novak|TenFactory|Synergy|
austentatious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 12:52 AM   #5
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

I would also check your fuel filter, all kinds of debris can get in it if you run out of gas, especially on older model vehicles.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 01:31 AM   #6
azfyrmedic
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Might want to be sure that the fuel is getting to the rail.
I have been working on a simular problem today. turns out I was not getting fuel to the rail untill I jumped the wire to the pump and ran it until I could get the fuel to the quick connect at the fuel rail.
azfyrmedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 08:31 AM   #7
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOUXJ View Post
I would also check your fuel filter, all kinds of debris can get in it if you run out of gas, especially on older model vehicles.
X2 You get a lot of trash at the bottom of the tank. Going through the same thing now. Best to keep at least a 1/4 of a tank in there.
nembudonna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 09:24 AM   #8
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

not only will you suck up all the gunk at the bottom of the tank but i heard our fuel pumps are cooled by the gas so you have a better chance of burning out the pump if you run your tank close to E alot
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.