Rampage Overhead Console and Soundbar Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rampage Overhead Console and Soundbar Questions

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 12-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
Bubbagump
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Rampage Overhead Console and Soundbar Questions

Hi I own a '95 wrangler and have been researching on getting a sound bar as well as an overhead console for storage. So far I have decided that, after viewing other threads on the subject, it is best and cheaper to make my own sound bar but I can't decide what to do about the console.

If I was going to buy one I would get this rampage one -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=190320983212
unfortunately I have only been able to find 2 pics online of them, a few uninformative reviews, 2 different dimensions which I am skeptical about, and a lack of information regarding the looks of it. The eBay link above says it's 26.25" long but this ebay link says its 30.5 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...em=#vi-content

I know one is black and the other is gray but by the looks of it I'm sure they're both made by rampage. Did rampage make two different models? I might just figure out how to make my own even though the gray one is pretty cheap compared to the others. Does anybody have one of these? If so how well has it worked for you?

Also I am curious about how it accompanies the sound bar while still attaching to the center roll cage bar.

And a quick question about any sort of sound bar in a yj. I have seen some people put the sound bar mounted in the back and behind the center bar, and others have mounted it in front. I would think it to be better in the front but am not completely sure. What would be better?

Thanks for your help!

Bubbagump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Few things.

The Rampage crap is ... crap. That console is no better than a particle board box with junk fabric glued on it.

The console expands so that it can fit with or without soundbar. I think it just screws into the front of the soundbar.

I have the OEM soundbar that has two screws on each extension bar and uses two straps over the center hoop bar that are screwed in. The OEM YJ bar was in front of the center bar. My Jeep has pre-installed anchors in the bars for the sound bar to attach.

The TJ and later went behind the center bar for OEM. I see no difference in location.
Unread 12-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Personally I think that's a waste of usable space. Get a minivan console to replace the stock one in the Jeep and build your own overhead to hold your comms and aux light and winch controls. I copied the Tuffy design since I wasn't about to spend close to 400 bucks up here for it. This only cost me about 50 bucks to build.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
dadstoy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowdogMarc View Post
Personally I think that's a waste of usable space. Get a minivan console to replace the stock one in the Jeep and build your own overhead to hold your comms and aux light and winch controls. I copied the Tuffy design since I wasn't about to spend close to 400 bucks up here for it. This only cost me about 50 bucks to build.
I like that...........any more pics?
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
I like that...........any more pics?
yep...

Here's one when I was still fitting it.

All Aluminum TIG welded together. Machine screws tapped into the windshield frame and U-bolts to the roll bar...just like the way the Tuffys mounts.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

Unread 01-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
Bubbagump
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
Few things.

The Rampage crap is ... crap. That console is no better than a particle board box with junk fabric glued on it.

The console expands so that it can fit with or without soundbar. I think it just screws into the front of the soundbar.

I have the OEM soundbar that has two screws on each extension bar and uses two straps over the center hoop bar that are screwed in. The OEM YJ bar was in front of the center bar. My Jeep has pre-installed anchors in the bars for the sound bar to attach.

The TJ and later went behind the center bar for OEM. I see no difference in location.
so without the sound bar, the overhead console just leaves a big ugly gap between the middle roll cage bar and the back of the overhead console? Well thanks for telling me, I am no longer considering to get it now.
Unread 01-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
Bubbagump
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowdogMarc View Post
yep...

Here's one when I was still fitting it.

All Aluminum TIG welded together. Machine screws tapped into the windshield frame and U-bolts to the roll bar...just like the way the Tuffys mounts.
Thats really nice! I was thinking about making mine out of a 1/2" board of MDF with padding and polyester water-proof fabric. And I really like the dome light. Where did you get it? I have discovered that the right one is harder to find than most would think. Except I found one on NAPA's site for around $8 that would hopefully work.
Unread 01-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #8
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbagump View Post
And I really like the dome light. Where did you get it? I have discovered that the right one is harder to find than most would think. Except I found one on NAPA's site for around $8 that would hopefully work.
Thanks That's exactly where I got it...NAPA. It's one of the flush mount backup lights that you put on trailers. It's wired to the switch right on front of it and direct to 12v power from the radios.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

Unread 01-03-2011, 07:45 AM   #9
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbagump View Post
so without the sound bar, the overhead console just leaves a big ugly gap between the middle roll cage bar and the back of the overhead console? Well thanks for telling me, I am no longer considering to get it now.
No, I think the console overlaps itself so that it can be expanded in such a case where there is no soundbar. Where there is a soundbar, I think it slides into itself a little so that it will fit.

Please note, I don't have this console, so you're dealing with my cloudy memory of it in the old catalogs.... I could be 100% wrong here.
Unread 06-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
sportster60441
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I know that this is an old thread... What were the dimensions of this console that you made? Im looking at doing this as well and would like to copy your design as well.
sportster60441 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.