Is Radio wiring present if jeep originally came without a radio - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is Radio wiring present if jeep originally came without a radio

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-03-2006, 02:11 PM   #1
gary1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Is Radio wiring present if jeep originally came without a radio

A friend of mine has a 1992 Wrangler, and wants me to help put a stock radio in the jeep. Does anybody know whether the wiring harness would include the radio plug in.

gary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2006, 02:12 PM   #2
heavyhitter

It should. Is there an antenna??? Just curious

93 YJ almighty 4banger, 31" bfg all terrains on 15x8 ar black steelies, 1.25" PA shackle lift, pioneer stereo system, herculined tub, TJ Flares, Rock Sliders, custom front & rear bumpers,
heavyhitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2006, 02:14 PM   #3
BeerMonkeY
2007 JK Wrangler 

there will not be a antenna if it came stock without a radio, but the harness should be there but no speakers, but there should be front speaker wires alrady there , but its not like they would be hard to run anyway
Unread 02-03-2006, 02:16 PM   #4
heavyhitter

why would you go to the trouble to put a stock radio in?? put something good in there

93 YJ almighty 4banger, 31" bfg all terrains on 15x8 ar black steelies, 1.25" PA shackle lift, pioneer stereo system, herculined tub, TJ Flares, Rock Sliders, custom front & rear bumpers,
Unread 02-03-2006, 02:18 PM   #5
gary1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Actually the jeep does have an antenna even though there was never a radio in it.
Unread 02-03-2006, 02:20 PM   #6
gary1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

She's bought this jeep brand new in 1992 and has been driving it all this time with no radio at all. So even with a stock radio she'll think she died and went to heaven.
Unread 02-03-2006, 02:20 PM   #7
heavyhitter

If the antenna is there the harness is there too. there should be a plug to the right of the heater behind the panel. also a black plug for the antenna. and a ground that will have a circular end on it

Unread 02-03-2006, 02:24 PM   #8
gary1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

OK, I was hoping that was the case, I didn't want to bite off more than I can chew (as is usually the case)
Thanx a lot...
Unread 02-03-2006, 02:25 PM   #9
heavyhitter

the stock radio may present problems. they usually die. mine was shot and they are usally not treated well. you can't hear anything in the jeep so the radio is always maxed out. I would get a cheap aftermarket reciever and decent speakers and you will be much better off. the only thing you need is an adapter from the auto parts store for the reciever and a universal dash fitting. 12$, 8$

Unread 02-03-2006, 02:32 PM   #10
gary1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My YJ is a 95.. I know what you mean about not being able to hear.. But fortunately my radio has always worked well.
We just bought an OEM Radio/Cassette on ebay for $15 plus shipping. The guys says it works perfectly so that is probably the route we'll take with my friends jeep. (For now anyway)
And hey, thanx again for everybodies input...
Unread 02-03-2006, 05:22 PM   #11
heavyhitter

that will make it nice and easy. It's always nice to make life easy on yourself. I still cant believe she drove it that long without a radio. I would go nuts

Unread 02-06-2006, 02:50 PM   #12
gary1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well, she has been nuts for at least ten years...
Now maybe I can blame it on the lack of music. I've always wondered what drove her over the edge..
Unread 02-06-2006, 03:08 PM   #13
rolledthatho

if she's thrilled over a stock radio unit then i think you need to hang on to her!

good luck with it all
Unread 02-07-2006, 02:49 PM   #14
mYJ

After the 3rd break in, I gave up having a nice stereo and picked up a factory am/fm for $5. The theives hate the way it looks in there which makes me love it.

Answering the original post, mine came factory radio delete but the wiring harness was still behind the dash.

[SIZE=1]92 YJ 2.5, OME, Flat Fendered, 31" Big O XTs, Crager Soft 8s, Posi-Lok, no sway/track bars, Exide Orbital, K&N, 4.0 TB & TBS, Mopar Performance Cam, Glass pack & Hi-Flow cat, Grant GT Removable Wheel, Tuffy Console, Other Stuff.[/SIZE]
[FONT=Impact][SIZE=2]Black JeepClub V2.0 #33[/SIZE] [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma] - Me & Roy[/FONT]
mYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2006, 09:10 PM   #15
etars

I picked up a tuffy stereo console, thieves cant steal what they cant see. Now i have a nice spot to mount a switch plate too.

89 YJ 4.2, bestop seats, top
etars is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.