Radio wiring, 90 YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Radio wiring, 90 YJ

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 11-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
boydster00
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Radio wiring, 90 YJ

Hello all, first time poster, been doing a lot of reading and working on this '90YJ 4.2 auto Sahara.

Most all of my questions have been answered by using Search and the FAQs. Thanks to all who have posted that stuff up. I've not found a single thing to ask that hasn't been covered till now.

I'm fixing the hack wiring job someone else did on the radio while waiting for all my LED instrument lights to come in. The wiring I have does not match to anything I've seen listed anywhere. It's a factory harness, as it's taped and wrapped right into the main harness. Looks much better than the hookups to the radio.

I'm pretty good with all this stuff, just need a little help if anyone else has come across this. Here's what I've got and what / how I determined what it is. You'll see the ? where I don't know what it is.

Brown = RF- verified by 9v test
White/Black = RF+ verified by 9v test
Brown/White = LF- verified by 9v test
Green/White = LF+ verified by 9v test
Orange/Black = instrument lighting, volts vary with dimmer
Pink (Orange?) = 12v+ battery constant
Purple/White = 12v+ switched ignition
? Blue/White = gets 12v+switched from the ignition, then when ign switched off, slowly drops off volts down to zero
? Black #2 = 12 ohm to gnd, no voltage (key on or off)
? Black #1 = Open. No ohm to gnd, no voltage (key on or off)
? White = Open. No ohm to gnd, no voltage (key on or off)
? Black/Yellow = Open. No ohm to gnd, no voltage (key on or off)
? Green = Open. No ohm to gnd, no voltage (key on or off)

I'm going to run my own chassis ground, since I don't see a good ground wire.

My big question is the last 4 open wires. I am suspecting these are for rear speakers, but there are none installed and I don't see these wires running under the door sills. Don't know if the Sahara came with rears in 1990.

If anyone can help with these unknown wires, I'd appreciate it. I'm headed out to solder and shrink the ones I know, at least that will get the radio working right.

Thanks for this and all the other posts / FAQs I've used over the last month or so... you guys know Jeeps like no other forum on the 'Net.

boydster00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
SRC21
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just did the same thing in my 95. Looks like you may have wires from another harness thats run near the radio and perhaps not used? I didn't have that many wires that were directly affiliated with the radio and none left over aside from the dash light connection that ran to the factory radio.
SRC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I can help you with the blue/white... thats for a power antenna

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
boydster00
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRC21 View Post
Just did the same thing in my 95. Looks like you may have wires from another harness thats run near the radio and perhaps not used? I didn't have that many wires that were directly affiliated with the radio and none left over aside from the dash light connection that ran to the factory radio.
Yeah, that could be. Didn't think of that since the Previous Hacker had all these wires taped off and bundled together.

I did connect all the ones I had ID'd and it works great.

Thanks
Unread 11-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
boydster00
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
Ahhhh.... makes sense. Thanks!
Unread 11-16-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
johnoutdoors
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Try this website:

1990 Jeep Wrangler Car Stereo Radio Wiring Diagram
johnoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 04:42 AM   #7
boydster00
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnoutdoors View Post
Thanks. I tried that one (and many others) after seeing it in another post when I was Searching. The only wires common between my YJ and that list are the 2 power wires. Every single other wire is a different color.

I'm thinking the harness has been replaced, but it's still installed and wrapped just like factory.

Actually, the best matching I've found online is a combination of a 90 YJ and a 90 XJ... hmmmm...
Unread 11-17-2010, 05:03 AM   #8
boydster00
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
Isn't it interesting that none of the Wranglers thru 2007 (as listed on the above site) has a wire for a power antenna.

Thinking about it, this one prob isn't for a power antenna. It has power coming out of the Jeep harness at the radio with the key on. An antenna trigger would have power coming out of the radio when it is switched on. Although I do agree that standard wiring is blue/white to the antenna...

But this YJ seems to be very different from standard...
Unread 11-20-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
boydster00
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well I figured out part of it.

4 of the wires I listed as "open" in post #1 are secondary wires to the 2 front speakers. Yes, there are 4 wires going to each speaker. Only thing I can think of is for something like a CB. Something that would be in parallel to the radio but using the same speakers.

These wires are all factory, unless someone has the correct crimpers for factory style connectors and they unwrapped the harness, added in some wires then rewrapped it all. It's simply amazing that this thing is 20 years old and nobody has seen this before. Much less the fact that there's no diagram anywhere for these color wires.

Anyways, got it all straightened out, installed a set of Kickers behind the dash, the radio is de-hacked and wiring is straight... lots more to do!
Unread 11-21-2010, 06:29 AM   #10
Mechman71
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I still have the stock stereo and wiring in my '89. When I was adding a pair of rear speaker boxes, I had to find the wires that feed rear speakers if fitted (mine wasn't). I found that those "extra" wires to the front speakers were actually for the rears. Apparently they wanted you to be able to hear your radio even if you accidentally faded the sound to rear speakers that you didn't have.

I clipped the rear wires just past the speaker plug and wired in my boxes. Now I can set the volume at each corner.
Unread 05-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
1celtmom
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i took out my CD player that was put in and tried changing it to a different on and it wouldn't power on. i switched everything back to the original on and now i cant get that one to work. any ideas?
i switched one wire at a time so i know i didn't mix any up
1celtmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #12
bowtech
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1celtmom View Post
i took out my CD player that was put in and tried changing it to a different on and it wouldn't power on. i switched everything back to the original on and now i cant get that one to work. any ideas?
i switched one wire at a time so i know i didn't mix any up
Start with checking your fuse. It's possible that it got blown during the swap. Also most radios and cd players have a fuse located on the back side as well.
bowtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #13
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I think I can help you. Your wiring is stock The color codes do match up with the 90 factory service manual. The place to start is by downloading the FSM and using it as your refrence when doing your wiring.
Here is the link:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40590346/1990%20Jeep%20Factory%20Service%20Manual.pdf
Do you have a meter to read the voltages on the connector?
Doble check your fuses at the fuse block. Chances are you have a bad one.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #14
1celtmom
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help. tried a different ground and nothing, so ganna try to replace the fuse. it didn't look blown tho?
1celtmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #15
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Dont replace the fuse if it isn't blown. It doesn't make sense. Do you own a test light or a meter to measure voltage? You can get a cheap meter or test light from harbor freight or radio shack for under $20.00. You really need something to test voltages.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.