radio / audio wiring issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > radio / audio wiring issue

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
chefasg
1991 YJ Wrangler 

radio / audio wiring issue

searched for this found nothing similar ... 91 wrangler y j4.0 6cyl if it matters. I have my radio in a tuffy center console / aftermarket; the radio died and while replacing it none of the wires were the color they are supposed to be; I have orange, yellow and brown and aftermarket speaker wires - I was able to determine the the power (orange) and ground (brown) and it seems the yellow is useless (maybe). The programming will not stay once the vehicle is turned off any suggestions or has anyone seen this configuration before? thanx

chefasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum. Your memory needs a constant hot. Does the orange work off of the key or is it always hot? Does the yellow show 12v with the key on or off?
YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

There are three wires that are a larger gauge than the speaker wires. They are a constant hot, acc switched hot and a ground. It seems you've hooked up the latter two but are missing the former.
Unread 08-25-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
chefasg
1991 YJ Wrangler 

the only wire that I was able to get a reading on was the orange wire other discoveries were based on touching trial and error ... Anticanman, sorry if i was not clear the three wires were orange, yellow and brown and the speaker wires were stand out aftermarket speaker wire. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to backtrace all these wires ... *sigh*
Unread 08-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yellow is typically constant 12v+ and provides station and clock memory. With the vehicle off, hook a meter to the yellow and brown. You'll likely find 12vdc.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
chefasg
1991 YJ Wrangler 

with a volt meter I have determined that the orange wire is the constant, brown is ground and yellow is ignition memory ~ I am getting no fire to the yellow wire; where does it trace back to ??/ or where can I tie in at ??? the cigarette lighter is not an option ... easiest route without tearing open the dash please ... thanks !!!
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It should go back to the fuse box below the dash. Check your fuses under there.
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
chefasg
1991 YJ Wrangler 

the fuses are all good ~ I am thinking about doing the impossible and tearing out the dash and redoing / simplifying all wiring and replacing the crappy gauge cluster; any advice ??? I searched but could not find a thread for this ...
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

OK, so I'm assuming the orange goes back to the battery with an I line fuse somewhere along its path. The yellow can go to the fuse box, tied with a spade connector to the Radio slot. The fuse control for this is the 20A Accessory fuse.

Rerunning the wires is jot a great challenge, there are multiple places to pass the wire to the battery for the constant and lacing the switch wire back to the fuse box just takes a bit of laying on your back across the tub to feed the wires. Be thankful you're not trying to do it in a ZJ. Lots more crap behind the dash.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

the best bet would be to check the website for the manufacturer of the radio.... but USUALLY the orange is constant (fused battery), then there should be another (usually red or red with a srtipe in my experience) that goes to an ignition hot.

every aftermarket radio I've dealt with so far uses the yellow as a trigger wire to switch a power antenna or external amplifier.

try this... with the radio power off, put a multimeter on that yellow coming off the radio... I'm thinking it should be 0v. then turn the radio on, it should be ~12v
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #11
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

What brand of headunit?

I know kenwood and a few other manufacturers use larger diameter wire for the 12v constant supply. Check to make sure that wire goes directly to the battery. As others here states, it sounds like your wires are mixed up. There will be a constant 12v supply into the radio as well as a 12v accessory supply.
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #12
ferrolinguist
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Every radio I've ever worked with used blue as the power antenna wire(or remote), red as the constant 12v and yellow as the ignition wire.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Built Not Bought
ferrolinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #13
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrolinguist View Post
Every radio I've ever worked with used blue as the power antenna wire(or remote), red as the constant 12v and yellow as the ignition wire.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
And black as the ground.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.