radiator leak - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 12-04-2013, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
white_austin
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 23
radiator leak

i have an 88 YJ and i keep seeing drips come from the base of the bottom hose connection. i just replaced both hoses and i think the is a crack in the bace of the connection to the hose. Has this happened to anyone else? is there a way to fix it?

white_austin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 12-05-2013, 03:24 AM
Latefreight727
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Arcadia
Posts: 157
Sometimes they can be fixed. If you are looking for a quick/temp fix you could try J B weld. You local Advance Auto can loan you a pressure tester to pin point the leak. Don't over pressurize it! They are not terribly expensive to buy new and easy to change.

Good luck
Latefreight727 is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 12-05-2013, 05:02 AM
Louie4
Jeep Enjuneering
 
Louie4's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 10,735
They are harder and harder to come by these days but a radiator shop may be able to fix it if it's all metal. If it's plastic, I'd just get a new one.

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline  
post #4 of 21 Old 12-05-2013, 07:27 AM
tom_sprecher
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 608
If it's the brass type get it boiled, rodded, fixed and tested at a radiator shop. It cost me all of $95. The guy at the shop said they don't see a lot of brass radiators any more and to try and hold on to it.

Tom
tom_sprecher is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 12-05-2013, 08:45 AM
Chrisnvegas
INFIDEL
 
Chrisnvegas's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: The Desert
Posts: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_sprecher View Post
If it's the brass type get it boiled, rodded, fixed and tested at a radiator shop. It cost me all of $95. The guy at the shop said they don't see a lot of brass radiators any more and to try and hold on to it.
Mine was $75 and I ended up with a like new brass radiator.

What happens in my Jeep, stays in my Jeep
Chrisnvegas is online now  
post #6 of 21 Old 12-05-2013, 04:58 PM
bpounds
Web Wheeler
 
bpounds's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Whittier
Posts: 1,298
It might be cracked, but it might not. That lower hose can sometimes be trouble to get sealed. I like to use Permatex Aviation Sealant on all my coolant connections, and I double clamp when possible.

But if it is really cracked, a new radiator is always a good investment.

Bill
Dodge did not build my Jeep.
1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,GM HEI Ign, 5 Speed Peugeot, Zone 2.5" lift + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
bpounds is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 12-05-2013, 05:02 PM
jbeebe
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 993
New radiators are around 100 bucks. It won't take long to install.

91 YJ. 4.0, 4.10's, 33's, 4" springs, 3/4" booms, 1" BL, 1" MML, d30 aussie locker, hand throttle, posi-lock, full cage, bumpers/rocker guards/engine skid, winch.
jbeebe is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 12-05-2013, 05:11 PM
Chrisnvegas
INFIDEL
 
Chrisnvegas's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: The Desert
Posts: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeebe View Post
New radiators are around 100 bucks. It won't take long to install.
Why dump a quality OEM brass that costs less than a hundred bucks to have completely rebuilt in favor of a cheap substandard radiator?

Always make me wonder...

What happens in my Jeep, stays in my Jeep
Chrisnvegas is online now  
post #9 of 21 Old 12-05-2013, 05:24 PM
jbeebe
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Why dump a quality OEM brass that costs less than a hundred bucks to have completely rebuilt in favor of a cheap substandard radiator?

Always make me wonder...

It may not cost him <100 to have it rebuilt. Who knows.

Also, although they have their drawbacks, many modern aluminum radiators "work" better due to more advanced design and construction (even though brass as a metal transfers heat better that aluminum)

91 YJ. 4.0, 4.10's, 33's, 4" springs, 3/4" booms, 1" BL, 1" MML, d30 aussie locker, hand throttle, posi-lock, full cage, bumpers/rocker guards/engine skid, winch.
jbeebe is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 12-05-2013, 05:43 PM
Chrisnvegas
INFIDEL
 
Chrisnvegas's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: The Desert
Posts: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeebe View Post
It may not cost him <100 to have it rebuilt. Who knows.

Also, although they have their drawbacks, many modern aluminum radiators "work" better due to more advanced design and construction (even though brass as a metal transfers heat better that aluminum)
I live @ 60 miles from the hottest place on the planet and regularly wheel there as well as nearby. When my OEM radiator developed a leak, I ordered a new aluminum. Not a cheapie either.
After wheeling at the dunes at the edge of Death Valley, Jeep ran hot the whole time. Changed the water pump with an expensive OEM Mopar. Still hot at the dunes. Changed the fan clutch, again OEM Mopar, nope, still got hot and I would have to sit and let it cool. Meanwhile, my original brass was still hanging around in the garage...
Finally said screw it, took it to the local shop. Was surprised to find out they only charged $75 for a rebuild. This was in May
Went back to Death Valley (Dumont Dunes) in June.
115 degrees, never exceeded 215 or so.
I guess the AMC/ Chrysler engineers got the cooling system right after all.

What happens in my Jeep, stays in my Jeep
Chrisnvegas is online now  
post #11 of 21 Old 12-05-2013, 05:53 PM
jbeebe
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
I live @ 60 miles from the hottest place on the planet and regularly wheel there as well as nearby. When my OEM radiator developed a leak, I ordered a new aluminum. Not a cheapie either.
After wheeling at the dunes at the edge of Death Valley, Jeep ran hot the whole time. Changed the water pump with an expensive OEM Mopar. Still hot at the dunes. Changed the fan clutch, again OEM Mopar, nope, still got hot and I would have to sit and let it cool. Meanwhile, my original brass was still hanging around in the garage...
Finally said screw it, took it to the local shop. Was surprised to find out they only charged $75 for a rebuild. This was in May
Went back to Death Valley (Dumont Dunes) in June.
115 degrees, never exceeded 215 or so.
I guess the AMC/ Chrysler engineers got the cooling system right after all.
Well last year I was driving my yj on the surface of the sun and the aluminum radiator was the only thing that kept it cool. But instead of coolant i used baby tears. There, now I one-upped you!

Jk man Haha. Aluminum vs brass/copper radiators have been debated for years. One man's potatoe is another man's potahtoe

91 YJ. 4.0, 4.10's, 33's, 4" springs, 3/4" booms, 1" BL, 1" MML, d30 aussie locker, hand throttle, posi-lock, full cage, bumpers/rocker guards/engine skid, winch.
jbeebe is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 12-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Chrisnvegas
INFIDEL
 
Chrisnvegas's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: The Desert
Posts: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeebe View Post
Well last year I was driving my yj on the surface of the sun and the aluminum radiator was the only thing that kept it cool. But instead of coolant i used baby tears. There, now I one-upped you!

Jk man Haha. Aluminum vs brass/copper radiators have been debated for years. One man's potatoe is another man's potahtoe
We were camped there too. It got down to 103 at about 2:00 am. We sat on top of a really high dune and drank a few lukewarm beers. By 11:00 am the next day it was 114. Friend of mine was riding a Raptor. The heat from the exhaust burned the inside of his leg and his leg never touched it. It was just plain hot.

I packed up the toyhauler and got the heck out. Will never go there in June again.
I know nothing about cold. Heat? Yep.

What happens in my Jeep, stays in my Jeep
Chrisnvegas is online now  
post #13 of 21 Old 12-05-2013, 06:09 PM
RockWoRM
LJ's do it longer
 
RockWoRM's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fresno
Posts: 9,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
We were camped there too. It got down to 103 at about 2:00 am. We sat on top of a really high dune and drank a few lukewarm beers. By 11:00 am the next day it was 114. Friend of mine was riding a Raptor. The heat from the exhaust burned the inside of his leg and his leg never touched it. It was just plain hot.

I packed up the toyhauler and got the heck out. Will never go there in June again.
I know nothing about cold. Heat? Yep.
off topic and not to be busting your balls... but why would anyone go to Death Valley (or Dumont) in the middle of summer?

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
RockWoRM is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 12-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Chrisnvegas
INFIDEL
 
Chrisnvegas's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: The Desert
Posts: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
off topic and not to be busting your balls... but why would anyone go to Death Valley (or Dumont) in the middle of summer?
The Night Drags of course!

Turbo Banshees, R1 powered Raptors and it's a big party! Just not a good idea to stay the next day.


What happens in my Jeep, stays in my Jeep
Chrisnvegas is online now  
post #15 of 21 Old 12-05-2013, 07:04 PM
baritone_mike
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 2,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_sprecher View Post
If it's the brass type get it boiled, rodded, fixed and tested at a radiator shop. It cost me all of $95. The guy at the shop said they don't see a lot of brass radiators any more and to try and hold on to it.
I had a small leak fixed in a brass radiator in my jeep 2 years ago. Last week going up a forest road I had both belts start slipping from the radiator spewing antifreeze on them. I an going to try to sell it for scrap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Why dump a quality OEM brass that costs less than a hundred bucks to have completely rebuilt in favor of a cheap substandard radiator?

Always make me wonder...
My brass one has gave out on my twice. The first time I paid to have it fixed. The second time I bought a "cheap" plastic one. For $150 I have a brand new radiator that will last 10+ years, or I could drive back to the Radiator shop that fixed it last time and give them $100 to fix it again and hope it lasts another 2 years. My 1997 car had a OEM plastic radiator in it, it was still working just fine when I replaced it last year due to discoloration of the plastic, I have no issues with a Plastic/aluminum radiator.

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
baritone_mike is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome