radiator leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > radiator leak

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
white_austin
1988 YJ Wrangler 

radiator leak

i have an 88 YJ and i keep seeing drips come from the base of the bottom hose connection. i just replaced both hoses and i think the is a crack in the bace of the connection to the hose. Has this happened to anyone else? is there a way to fix it?

white_austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 03:24 AM   #2
Latefreight727
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sometimes they can be fixed. If you are looking for a quick/temp fix you could try J B weld. You local Advance Auto can loan you a pressure tester to pin point the leak. Don't over pressurize it! They are not terribly expensive to buy new and easy to change.

Good luck
Latefreight727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 05:02 AM   #3
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

They are harder and harder to come by these days but a radiator shop may be able to fix it if it's all metal. If it's plastic, I'd just get a new one.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #4
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If it's the brass type get it boiled, rodded, fixed and tested at a radiator shop. It cost me all of $95. The guy at the shop said they don't see a lot of brass radiators any more and to try and hold on to it.
Unread 12-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_sprecher View Post
If it's the brass type get it boiled, rodded, fixed and tested at a radiator shop. It cost me all of $95. The guy at the shop said they don't see a lot of brass radiators any more and to try and hold on to it.
Mine was $75 and I ended up with a like new brass radiator.
Unread 12-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

It might be cracked, but it might not. That lower hose can sometimes be trouble to get sealed. I like to use Permatex Aviation Sealant on all my coolant connections, and I double clamp when possible.

But if it is really cracked, a new radiator is always a good investment.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

New radiators are around 100 bucks. It won't take long to install.
Unread 12-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeebe View Post
New radiators are around 100 bucks. It won't take long to install.
Why dump a quality OEM brass that costs less than a hundred bucks to have completely rebuilt in favor of a cheap substandard radiator?

Always make me wonder...
Unread 12-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #9
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Why dump a quality OEM brass that costs less than a hundred bucks to have completely rebuilt in favor of a cheap substandard radiator?

Always make me wonder...

It may not cost him <100 to have it rebuilt. Who knows.

Also, although they have their drawbacks, many modern aluminum radiators "work" better due to more advanced design and construction (even though brass as a metal transfers heat better that aluminum)
Unread 12-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #10
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It may not cost him <100 to have it rebuilt. Who knows.

Also, although they have their drawbacks, many modern aluminum radiators "work" better due to more advanced design and construction (even though brass as a metal transfers heat better that aluminum)
I live @ 60 miles from the hottest place on the planet and regularly wheel there as well as nearby. When my OEM radiator developed a leak, I ordered a new aluminum. Not a cheapie either.
After wheeling at the dunes at the edge of Death Valley, Jeep ran hot the whole time. Changed the water pump with an expensive OEM Mopar. Still hot at the dunes. Changed the fan clutch, again OEM Mopar, nope, still got hot and I would have to sit and let it cool. Meanwhile, my original brass was still hanging around in the garage...
Finally said screw it, took it to the local shop. Was surprised to find out they only charged $75 for a rebuild. This was in May
Went back to Death Valley (Dumont Dunes) in June.
115 degrees, never exceeded 215 or so.
I guess the AMC/ Chrysler engineers got the cooling system right after all.
Unread 12-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #11
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I live @ 60 miles from the hottest place on the planet and regularly wheel there as well as nearby. When my OEM radiator developed a leak, I ordered a new aluminum. Not a cheapie either.
After wheeling at the dunes at the edge of Death Valley, Jeep ran hot the whole time. Changed the water pump with an expensive OEM Mopar. Still hot at the dunes. Changed the fan clutch, again OEM Mopar, nope, still got hot and I would have to sit and let it cool. Meanwhile, my original brass was still hanging around in the garage...
Finally said screw it, took it to the local shop. Was surprised to find out they only charged $75 for a rebuild. This was in May
Went back to Death Valley (Dumont Dunes) in June.
115 degrees, never exceeded 215 or so.
I guess the AMC/ Chrysler engineers got the cooling system right after all.
Well last year I was driving my yj on the surface of the sun and the aluminum radiator was the only thing that kept it cool. But instead of coolant i used baby tears. There, now I one-upped you!

Jk man Haha. Aluminum vs brass/copper radiators have been debated for years. One man's potatoe is another man's potahtoe
Unread 12-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #12
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well last year I was driving my yj on the surface of the sun and the aluminum radiator was the only thing that kept it cool. But instead of coolant i used baby tears. There, now I one-upped you!

Jk man Haha. Aluminum vs brass/copper radiators have been debated for years. One man's potatoe is another man's potahtoe
We were camped there too. It got down to 103 at about 2:00 am. We sat on top of a really high dune and drank a few lukewarm beers. By 11:00 am the next day it was 114. Friend of mine was riding a Raptor. The heat from the exhaust burned the inside of his leg and his leg never touched it. It was just plain hot.

I packed up the toyhauler and got the heck out. Will never go there in June again.
I know nothing about cold. Heat? Yep.
Unread 12-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #13
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
We were camped there too. It got down to 103 at about 2:00 am. We sat on top of a really high dune and drank a few lukewarm beers. By 11:00 am the next day it was 114. Friend of mine was riding a Raptor. The heat from the exhaust burned the inside of his leg and his leg never touched it. It was just plain hot.

I packed up the toyhauler and got the heck out. Will never go there in June again.
I know nothing about cold. Heat? Yep.
off topic and not to be busting your balls... but why would anyone go to Death Valley (or Dumont) in the middle of summer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #14
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
off topic and not to be busting your balls... but why would anyone go to Death Valley (or Dumont) in the middle of summer?
The Night Drags of course!

Turbo Banshees, R1 powered Raptors and it's a big party! Just not a good idea to stay the next day.

Unread 12-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #15
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_sprecher View Post
I had a small leak fixed in a brass radiator in my jeep 2 years ago. Last week going up a forest road I had both belts start slipping from the radiator spewing antifreeze on them. I an going to try to sell it for scrap.

Quote:

Always make me wonder...
My brass one has gave out on my twice. The first time I paid to have it fixed. The second time I bought a "cheap" plastic one. For $150 I have a brand new radiator that will last 10+ years, or I could drive back to the Radiator shop that fixed it last time and give them $100 to fix it again and hope it lasts another 2 years. My 1997 car had a OEM plastic radiator in it, it was still working just fine when I replaced it last year due to discoloration of the plastic, I have no issues with a Plastic/aluminum radiator.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.