Radiator leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Radiator leak

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
bluebunny
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Radiator leak

So something happen to my jeep and Im not quite sure. The engine starts and probably runs but the radiator will not hold fluid so I dont want to warp anything... I am trying to figure out what is wrong with it. When I pore water into my radiator then turn the engine on it just all pores out. I checked all the hoses in where I possibly could but there is no leaks... it looks like its coming from the transmission but I no its not because first that is the lowest part of the jeep and the water is clear when I put a cup of water in the radiator. I think its something with the heater core? I has to be something on the other side of the firewall... any ideas?

bluebunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Trying to understand your description, I think I would take the thermostat out, run it long enough to see if it solves the problem, and put a new stat in. I'd personally start there, and the radiator itself.
Unread 10-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you also have a leaking heater core also.
Unread 10-08-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
bluebunny
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Do you know how much that cost to fix the heater core?
bluebunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You live in Florida. You can just take the one hose off the heater core and take the other hose and run it to the engine and bypass the heater.
nembudonna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebunny View Post
Do you know how much that cost to fix the heater core?
The core itself is under 50 dollars. The labor time, not sure. Depends on the shop I guess. The heater core housing itself is bolted to the firewall. So you basically unbolt it from under the hood, behind the battery, and the lone fastener behind the valve cover. Then you remove the cables, ducts, etc from inside the cab, and take out the entire housing. Then, split the housing case, and replace the heater core. The core itself can be found most major parts stores. Here is my experience replacing mine. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...cement-870988/
Unread 10-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
jaycal3
Web Wheeler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Can you take pics or something? Its so hard to diagnose this issue when you say it pours out but you cant see from where...if its your radiator or hoses you would see it... approximately where is it ending up when it pours out? Mid Jeep? Front, rear, inside or out?

Do your part for Leukemia research - help find a cure.
http://mskcc.convio.net/goto/Jay_Calabrese
KCCO
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2011, 08:03 PM   #8
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the heater core to me too. I know it can get pretty cold in Orlando so I would fix it.

Down here I would not bother to fix it. I would just bypass the heater core.

Naples / Fort Myers area.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.