Radiator Leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Radiator Leak

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 07-21-2011, 11:54 PM   #1
94YJ4L
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Radiator Leak

I have the stock radiator on my 4.0. On hot days, or after running on trip of more than 30 miles, I can smell the antifreeze. After about a week, I have to put more antifreeze into it. I have looked all over the engine and found nothing. No water in the oil BTW.

One day, I noticed that when I run it for about 30 minutes or so, it's "leaking" at the overflow spigot on the top of the radiator. As it's stock, it has the plastic cap for the top of the radiator. Is there a way to fix this or am I destined to buy a new radiator. Doesn't seem to overheat, at least not by the temp gauge. But it does seem to get louder as it looses enough coolant.

My heater doesn't blow hot air, BTW. No water/coolant in the cab. Probably a clogged heater core.
Really at a loss. Can't use Gorrilla on it as the bottle says, "not for use on plastic".

94YJ4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 12:13 AM   #2
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Try a new radiator cap first.

I had 3 problems with mine:

-Lack of thermostat
-Bad water pump
-Bad radiator cap

I fixed all of those things and it ran at operating temperature and my heater started to put out lots of heat.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 01:02 AM   #3
94YJ4L
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Already tried the cap. no change...will look at the thermo and the pump. Would taking off the return line from the heater show if anything is coming out?
Unread 07-22-2011, 04:32 AM   #4
hdsport
2008 WK 

More info, please

OK, so can you tell us exactly where the leak is? Is it at the interface between the plastic "cap" and the core OR is it the Radiator cap?
Advise, please.
In God We Trust
hdsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
94YJ4L
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looks to be at the cap, where the overflow tube connects to the neck. Also, the resevoir is full, so it doesn't look like it's drawing from it like it should
Unread 07-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Pretty common for cracks to develop in thos eplastic radiators. Unless it overheats there will probably not be a leaking gusher but it will not build preassue like it should and instead of pulling coolant from the overflow it may suck air thru the crack.

If you can find and confirm the crack a new radiator is in your future. Before you swap it flush, flush and back flush a few times to get the crud out of the whole system and see if the heater core is bad. You don't want to flush with the new radiator already installed because then the gunk from the block and heater core will mess up the shiny new rad.

Personaly I would replace the waterpump, belts, hoses and thermostat all at the same time and be trouble free for years.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
94YJ4L
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice...this will go on the list of things to do, along with timing chain, clutch, slave cylinder, and possible valve job
Unread 07-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #8
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94YJ4L View Post
Thanks for the advice...this will go on the list of things to do, along with timing chain, clutch, slave cylinder, and possible valve job
Might as well do the timing chain while the rad and water pump are out; your already half done.

Glad I could help.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.