radiator hoses busting left and right - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > radiator hoses busting left and right

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-29-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
N1vek215
1993 YJ Wrangler 

radiator hoses busting left and right

A bit ago, I had a problem where my radiator went bust. I changed it out for a used one at a junker. A day later the hose going from the heater to the engine burst. I changed that one out and now a week later, the lower radiator hose just burst. What is going on? A mechanic told me, that when I changed out the radiator I should've changed every hose out, which I now plan on doing, but damn, how could this have happened?

N1vek215 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the hoses are just old and needed replacing anyway. Who knows they might be the ones that came on it. Over time they get pliable and lose their structural integrity.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1vek215 View Post
A bit ago, I had a problem where my radiator went bust. I changed it out for a used one at a junker. A day later the hose going from the heater to the engine burst. I changed that one out and now a week later, the lower radiator hose just burst. What is going on? A mechanic told me, that when I changed out the radiator I should've changed every hose out, which I now plan on doing, but damn, how could this have happened?
Are you really so naive to ask this question ?
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
N1vek215
1993 YJ Wrangler 

oh I don't know, it's just seemed a bit weird that I'd run into so many radiator problems in just a week I just want to drive my Jeep
Unread 09-29-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

First, check your overflow line from your radiator to your overflow tank. If this stops up, you will blow radiators, and hoses till you get it fixed.

If it is clear, try another radiator cap. I am running a 7 PSI cap. 12 to 16 is what you usually find, but my jeep runs cool, so no need to run that much pressure.

These cooling systems can build a lot of pressure, if either the cap or the hose is not working right, there is no way to regulate the pressure.
Unread 09-29-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
95wrangler4life
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
really? he has 58 posts, so this is a relative question for someone new.

My question is, their maybe be a decent air bubble going through his system causing extra pressure and helping with the problem. Have you had any overheating issues and when you replaced your radiator, did you burp the cooling system real good?

Build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...-dirty-894483/
95wrangler4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
vicker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

it does just sound like old hoses. just change them all including the heater hoses. change the thermostat too. if the hoses are that old and neglected chances are the thermostat is as old. put a new cap on and flush the hell out of it. prestone sells a nice flush kit that ties rite into your system and gets capt for later use. luckily you didnt damage ur engine so its not an expensive problem.
vicker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2010, 01:25 AM   #8
N1vek215
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So exactly, how do I go about flushing the system? I think that would be a great idea
Unread 09-30-2010, 01:28 AM   #9
95wrangler4life
1995 YJ Wrangler 

they sell a kit at walmart and other auto parts places, it allows you to cut one of the lines, usually the line leading into the heater core, insert a "T" fitting that has a garden hose hookup, and allows you to flush it, the "T" fitting then stays in place for future use!

Build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...-dirty-894483/
95wrangler4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2010, 06:05 AM   #10
leadsled01
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had a 12 psi radiator cap that was faulty so the coolant system would build up a stupid amount of pressure and blow hoses.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2010, 06:25 AM   #11
Krochus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Radiator cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
Krochus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #12
N1vek215
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thing is, when I replaced the radiator I bought a brand new cap also..... could it be faulty?
Unread 09-30-2010, 11:03 AM   #13
lclark2074
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1vek215 View Post
remember your yj is at least 15 years old so all rubber is getting old and not plyable so when they changed the radiator Disturbed the hoses they will crack and not give and leek. So do what other posters tell you change all the hoses and t-stat.
Unread 09-30-2010, 11:06 AM   #14
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post

Keep up the name calling Jawdust. Sooner or later someone is going to get sick of your name calling and opinions about others and kick you out of this Forum.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2010, 12:38 PM   #15
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
Keep up the name calling Jawdust. Sooner or later someone is going to get sick of your name calling and opinions about others and kick you out of this Forum.
Pass-On-By

If you do not like how I post then put me on your ignore list.

BTW, your inaccurate in name calling "jsawduste" starts with a small "j" and ends with an "e".

This guy has spent more money in mechanic fee`s and coolant then what the hoses could of ever cost him. Even his "mechanic" told him that he should replace the hoses. Seems he replaced the radiator and cap but elected not to replace hoses. The first hose was replaced with one from a junkyard.....

Show me the common sense here ?

Now he comes whining to JF and wants a miracle cure. Waste of bandwidth.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.