quik 8.8 question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > quik 8.8 question

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
fiandjos95
1992 YJ Wrangler 

quik 8.8 question

i plan on doing a rear axle swap from the D35 to an 8.8. If i were to swap it with the stock springs now and then lift the car later, would i have to re adjust the driveline angle. would it not mater at all or should i just do the axle swap and the lift all at once. I want to do a SYE and a CV drive shaft with the axle, and a OME 2.5 lift

fiandjos95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yes the angle will be different, you can use shims to deal with that, but personally I prefer to do everything at once so I'd wait.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
ROWA

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would wait and also plan on a SYE while your at it. Remove the wedges on your springs before you set your pinion angle.

The best Engineering is no match against natural Stupidity.
ROWA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yep. Do it all at once.
Unread 02-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Trust me when I say this: Do it all right the first time; do it all at once.

If you are hellbent on doing something, than do a SYE first. Then move into installing lift and swappin rears. The sye won't change, but the rear end geometry will.

Just my $.02
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It will cost more up front but if you can just do it all at once. I would order my Sye, lift, 8.8, ubolts, spring perches (if you can't reuse the 8.8s) shock mounts, shocks, emergency brake cables (some guys reuse the stock ones, I went with mores, pricey but a very nice set and it allows for lift.

Get everything installed (minus welding the perches) add some weight to the rear and jump in the back to settle the springs.

Measure for a cv driveshaft and order.

Install shaft and double check your pinion angle before welding perches.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2013, 04:03 AM   #7
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I went through a similar situation with my current YJ. I've had my 8.8 for several months, but have held off installing it until I had all my suspension components and SYE. It will make setting the perches a one time deal, and I won't have to worry with shims to get the angle correct.

Like others have mentioned, its much easier to simply do it all once.
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2013, 06:35 AM   #8
rinking
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Another vote for doing it all at once! Cutting, and rewelding the perch's is not fun. If You were thinking about using shims to correct the pinion angle later, just remember, you will loose the thickness of the shims in lift! It's not much, but Your already looseing lift cause the bigger axle tube on the 8.8.
rinking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
fiandjos95
1992 YJ Wrangler 

alright i guess ill do it all at once, thank for the advice, i found a good deal on a 8.8 and i guess ill rebuild it while i save up for everything for a lift, Thanks again
Unread 02-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

As stated by everyone else; its only to save you from future a$$ pain. No sense in doing the perches more than once, buying u bolts twice, buying a custom length driveshaft 2 times......

Plan ahead, choose all your parts, buy them and get them on hand, get all your tools and troubleshoot everything. This way, it minimizes surprises. Then, grab a few buddies, a couple cases of beer and some Domino's coupons and hit it hard over a weekend.
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #11
fiandjos95
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild View Post
As stated by everyone else; its only to save you from future a$$ pain. No sense in doing the perches more than once, buying u bolts twice, buying a custom length driveshaft 2 times......

Plan ahead, choose all your parts, buy them and get them on hand, get all your tools and troubleshoot everything. This way, it minimizes surprises. Then, grab a few buddies, a couple cases of beer and some Domino's coupons and hit it hard over a weekend.
haha i like your thinking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.