Quick trail fix for ujoint? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Quick trail fix for ujoint?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 07-18-2001, 03:21 PM   #1
jobob

Quick trail fix for ujoint?

Okay, so I'm not on the trail. I just pulled into the parking lot here at work, heard a pop, a few clinks, and a rattle. I pulled into the nearest parking place and crawled under to discover that the whole bearing cap has come off one side of the rear ujoint. Of course, with my luck, I haven't put on an SYE yet, so I can't exactly pull out the drive shaft. Fortunately this happened on the strap/pinion side of the ujoint. I was thinking of getting a ride to the parts store, picking up a new ujoint, pulling one of the bearing caps off of the new one and sliding it on to the old one. This is just to get me home of course, until I get access to a vice to replace the old one all together. Does this sound feasible? I don't want to tear anything else up. Also, I just installed a 3" rough country lift a few weeks ago. Could this breakage be a result of the lift?

Unread 07-18-2001, 04:05 PM   #2
rayray

Jobob,
Get a hammer, a 3/4 inch deep dish socket, and small piece of 2*4 and a drip pan (coffee cup works). Pull the drive shaft out and fix it in the parking lot. It will only take about 15 minutes. Also bring some ATF and a 1 1/8 (I think) socket for the fill plug. Disregard all strange looks from people passing by, they're just envious.

Most likely your current u-joint is egg shaped. You'll just tear up the new bearing cap by the time you get home.

rayray
rayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2001, 10:27 PM   #3
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Like RayRay says, but plug the hole in the back of your tcase. You're just gonna waste something if you try some cheesy fix. What you could do is get the rear output of the tcase fairly well sealed and drive it home in front wheel drive though. They used to sell a plug specifically for this situation. But I haven't the faintest idea who it was and I'm sure you could come up with something anyway. Remember, whatever you use to fix this should be with you on any trail ride.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2001, 12:42 PM   #4
jobob

FYI
Lesson learned. I went ahead and took ray-ray's advice, and changed the whole thing out there. Went ahead and bought 2 ujoints at the parts house, just in case it happens again. Also added a block of wood, and needle nose pliers to my toolbox. Needle noses should have been there anyway, don't know how they wondered off, those c-clips go flying when you pop them out with a screwdriver, glad I was in a parking lot and not in the woods.
Thanks guys.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.