Quick questions - Cleaning throttle body - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Quick questions - Cleaning throttle body

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-07-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
Newk76
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quick questions - Cleaning throttle body

I was reading a build thread today where they cleaned their throttle body after a ride, and thought I'd take a peak at ours while the hood/fenders/airbox etc was off. I removed the tube going from the TB to the airbox and it looks pretty nasty in there. I tried using the search feature, but everything I was finding was xj/zj.. nothing was popping up for a yj specifically. It doesn't sound difficult, and I'm positive I could figure it out, but I don't want to have a stupid 'ooops' moment.

I plan on taking pics so I know how it all goes back together, but my main question.. Is there anything I need to know before attempting this? I've never done it before.

Next question. I see some people were using a throttle body cleaner, all I have is carb cleaner.. safe to substitute or no?

Unless someone can point me to a writeup on this, I'll try to take plenty of pics along the way & maybe add it to our build thread or do a write up here?

Newk76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk76 View Post
I was reading a build thread today where they cleaned their throttle body after a ride, and thought I'd take a peak at ours while the hood/fenders/airbox etc was off. I removed the tube going from the TB to the airbox and it looks pretty nasty in there. I tried using the search feature, but everything I was finding was xj/zj.. nothing was popping up for a yj specifically. It doesn't sound difficult, and I'm positive I could figure it out, but I don't want to have a stupid 'ooops' moment.

I plan on taking pics so I know how it all goes back together, but my main question.. Is there anything I need to know before attempting this? I've never done it before.

Next question. I see some people were using a throttle body cleaner, all I have is carb cleaner.. safe to substitute or no?

Unless someone can point me to a writeup on this, I'll try to take plenty of pics along the way & maybe add it to our build thread or do a write up here?

Check out this thread if you havent already done so: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/cl...mmies-1114849/

Yes it is based on a TJ, but it will be pretty much exactly the same as your YJ. Its a very simple process, nothing that isn't straightforward really.

I personally wouldn't use "carb cleaner" unless it states on the can that it is safe for sensors, throttle bodies and/or fuel injected vehicles.....
'04 WJ
The Past:
'83 CJ7, '92 YJ, '00 XJ, '99 TJ, '05 TJ Rubicon (Impact Orange)
19OlllllllO41 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
Newk76
1991 YJ Wrangler 

that was one of the threads I did look at, and thank you for the advice on the carb cleaner.
I will check it and if it doesn't say it's safe, I will get some throttle body cleaner from town tonight before I start. I need to go check out goodwill for some old sheets anyways to drape in the garage for paint later this week.
Unread 09-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Carb cleaner is fine. I have never has any issues with using it to clean any sensors or electrical connections. I use contact cleaner or alcohol too. Pics and a writeup on it would be great!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
Newk76
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ok guys, I'm in the garage now. Can someone explain to me why in the above linked thread there are 3 cables hooked to the linkage, (labeled throttle cables) and our only has one? I pulled out our chilton manual and it doesn't even show our TB, it shows one w only 3 bolts holding it down & looks quite different than ours.

Here is what I'm looking at.
image-1704092807.jpg   image-2647849733.jpg  
Unread 09-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk76 View Post
Ok guys, I'm in the garage now. Can someone explain to me why in the above linked thread there are 3 cables hooked to the linkage, (labeled throttle cables) and our only has one? I pulled out our chilton manual and it doesn't even show our TB, it shows one w only 3 bolts holding it down & looks quite different than ours.

Here is what I'm looking at.
The one you saw might well have had a hand throttle or a cruise control. No matter, most YJ's have only one cable and its for throttle. The illustrations in the manuals don't tend to be very specific, so again I wouldn't sweat that. This is where it helps to have multiple different reference manuals and a bit of experience. Your throttle body looks like every other one I've seen, so no biggie.

FWIW when it comes to cleaning parts, I'm super lazy and cheap. I just got an old turkey pan from the thrift shop and use an old toothbrush with some gas from the mower can.

Mechanic's hand cleaner such as GoJo and Fast Orange work too - figure if they clean your hands then they'll also clean your parts.

EZ-Off oven cleaner is the old standby on cast iron parts.

White vinnegar is good for getting rust the lazy cheap way.

Hope all that helps!

oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Your pics look just like what I have.

There are 4 bolts holding it to the intake manifold. Take those out and take the throttle cable off and unplug the wiring harness to the IAC and TPS. Then you can remove the TB.

Then you'll need a small security torx bit to remove the IAC and TPS. Take them out and clean them up really well with carb or TB cleaner. I've used both without issue. Just make sure not to move the pintle on the IAC.

Spray the heck out of everything and use a wire brush to clean the whole TB and make sure to get all of the gummy stuff out of the springs. Get inside the IAC passage ways really well too.

That's about all there is to it.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
Your pics look just like what I have.

There are 4 bolts holding it to the intake manifold. Take those out and take the throttle cable off and unplug the wiring harness to the IAC and TPS. Then you can remove the TB.

Then you'll need a small security torx bit to remove the IAC and TPS. Take them out and clean them up really well with carb or TB cleaner. I've used both without issue. Just make sure not to move the pintle on the IAC.

Spray the heck out of everything and use a wire brush to clean the whole TB and make sure to get all of the gummy stuff out of the springs. Get inside the IAC passage ways really well too.

That's about all there is to it.
^^^^^ X2 what TheNewbie said. I doubt it matters that much what you actually use to clean it with, I've never had problems either way. I prefer to just take it all off, remove the IAC and TPS, and scrub everything till you could eat off it. Then I put it all back together with just a very little bit of RTV sealant on all the gasket surfaces just to make sure there's no air leaks.

Unread 09-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
Newk76
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. I've gotten most of it done I think. Here are a few pics.. am I missing a part that is removable? I removed the IAC, didn't realize the TPS comes off. I'll have to go back out and look at that again. (feel free to correct anything I use the wrong terms for)

removed air box tube

Removed the throttle cable (no pic)

Disconnected the TPS

Disconnected the IAC

Removed 4 bolts holding the TB

Remove TB

Remove 2 small bolts holding the IAC & separate

This is where I started cleaning.

Halfway - I used zipties to hold the TB open to make cleaning easier

Done cleaning
Unread 09-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you really want to get it good you can take a security torx to this housing and remove it too. But it's probably just fine how you did it.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #11
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like you got it pretty good! Getting the IAC squeaky clean on the business end of it will probably make the most difference of all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.