quick after market radio question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > quick after market radio question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONS

Unread 06-02-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
b3llo38
1995 YJ Wrangler 

quick after market radio question

hey guys sorry if this is a silly question, and my bad if anyone gets annoyed by it lol, but my headunit stopped working (noticed my dash is starting to leak when it rains now so water probably got in it) soo im going to order a new headunit and a soundbar.. my question is what exactly do i need? just the new headunit and the "aftermarket headunit jeep yj wiring harness"

Metra Electronics 70-1002 Wiring Harness - Audio/Video Accessories at Onlinecarstereo.com

a after market dash kid

Metra Electronics 99-5510 Dash Kits - Audio/Video Accessories at Onlinecarstereo.com

and headunit

SoundStorm M312USA MP3 CD Players - In-Dash Receivers at Onlinecarstereo.com

im also gonna try to rig up some type of plastic cover for ontop of the headunit to keep water from running into it

BNIB Brown Dog 1" Motor Mount Lift (make offer)
BNIB Currie 1" Body lift (make offer)
b3llo38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
wrangler76
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Fix the leak.... probably from a clogged drain. Under the hood on the Passenger side of the firewall there's a "rubber" tube that bends 90*. It's held to the firewall by a wire band. Make sure it's not plugged. It's what commonly causes the under dash drip.....
wrangler76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
b3llo38
1995 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the input, the radio is still fried though

i notice sometimes when i start to drive after it rains i get water the drips down an hits me in the shins.. is there another tube on the driver side as well?

Unread 06-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Is you radio still the stock radio?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
wrangler76
1995 YJ Wrangler 

There is only one tube and if it's plugged it will leak on both the passenger and drivers side from behind the dash..... Mean Max has some good pictures/descriptions of the Cowl Drain Tube in this thread...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/new-me-93-a-912630/
wrangler76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced my radio last year with a head unit without a CD player. Just a radio, aux plug and a slot for an SD memory card. Way better than trying to deal with a skipping CD player and cheaper too.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #7
b3llo38
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I replaced my radio last year with a head unit without a CD player. Just a radio, aux plug and a slot for an SD memory card. Way better than trying to deal with a skipping CD player and cheaper too.
this is actually a good idea, i dont even use cds anymore, got about 5000 songs on my ipod. can you link me to the one you used?

Unread 06-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #8
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3llo38 View Post
this is actually a good idea, i dont even use cds anymore, got about 5000 songs on my ipod. can you link me to the one you used?
I think I got a clarion, but I don't remember offhand. I think they all make them now. Here's a couple.

Car Selector)

I fill up a 4GB card and am set for weeks, then I use the AUX plug for my XM radio.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 07:38 AM   #9
sloan74
2011 KK Liberty 

I picked this up from Autozone for 100 bucks.

AutoZone.com | 200 Watts MP3/WMA/CD receiver | 200 Watts MP3/WMA/CD receiver

It plays MP3's via CDR. So I just load a few hundred on a CDR and that keeps me occupied for weeks. It's not skipped once, even when I offroad it. I am simply amazed.....lol it's been 10 years since I purchased a radio for a car though, so they have come a long way....

What I love most is the remote though. I have it mounted on the seat box right next to me, it's God sent, can change songs and adjust the volumn w/out having to over reach to the radio head, thus killing someone in the process lol
sloan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 07:46 AM   #10
dudeinajp
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I would look for a Digital Media Receiver that jbolty mentioned.

Here is a good source.

In-Dash Receivers - Digital Media Receivers at OnlineCarStereo.com | Ascending Price
dudeinajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 07:54 AM   #11
SimonTuffGuy
[I'm That Good]

I just replaced my drowned JVC headunit with this one from BestBuy... $80 (and I had like $35 in rewards cash to use - so it was even cheaper)
JVC - 50W x 4 MOSFET In-Dash CD Deck with MP3 Playback and Detachable Faceplate - KD-R210

Works well and has a front aux in piece to use with iPod, etc.

When I did my mounting (mind you, I have a Tuffy center console that holds my CD player), I bought a YJ to universal plug... So that takes the wiring from the dash and goes to a universal fit... and then I got a universal to JVC. It was pretty much plug and play, except that I added 3' of wiring inbetween the Jeep to universal so that it would fit in my Tuffy console. I wired that harness up 3+ years ago, electrical taped it real good and ran it across the passenger floorboard and it's still holding up strong.

If you already have an aftermarket unit in the Jeep, I would check it to make sure someone didn't cut off the factory harness and run into the headunit. It's a pain to wire that way, but it would save you from buying an unnecessary piece or having to return it later.
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:00 AM   #12
SimonTuffGuy
[I'm That Good]

Also - you shouldn't NEED that dash kit. I didn't use one for mine when I had it in the stock location. When you remove the current headunit (stock or aftermarket), the bracket that bolts to the dash can come out and mount to your aftermarket headunit without the need of any additional kit crap.

Check to make sure that your harness isn't spliced already (unless you have a stock deck), get the CD player (even the one you linked looks fine... it plays MP3 cd's, has an aux in jack up front, and is cheap enough to replace again if you NEED to) and get the harnesses that you'll need. Again - If you can find "Jeep to universal" and "univeral to whatever brand CD player that is", you'll be set and installing will be a breeze.
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:40 AM   #13
sloan74
2011 KK Liberty 

+1 on reusing your existing wire harness on the old radio. Make's it a hell of a lot easier on your back being you can wire up the new radio to that harness in the garage on a table or something before putting it in the jeep.
sloan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #14
b3llo38
1995 YJ Wrangler 

my wires are all spliced behing my old head unit

Unread 06-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #15
SimonTuffGuy
[I'm That Good]

You could go 2 ways with that then.... You could just go ahead and take the wiring harness that comes with your new CD player and connect those wires directly to what is coming off your dash (being spliced)... If you go that route, I'd say to keep the current CD player wiring harness connected until you're ready to do the swap. Typically all aftermarket radios use the same wiring colors (red, yellow, black, blue, blue/white, orange, and then the speakers green, gray, white, and purple). If you already pulled it, then grab a Hayne's manual and find out what the wires coming from the dash are and go that route.

The other option would be to still get one of the Jeep to universal wiring harnesses. I got mine from BestBuy when I did my install. Cut off the Jeep plug from the end so that you've got wires to universal. Then connect the spliced wires in your dash to the universal harness. From there, you can get a universal to "whatever brand CD player" you're going to use to do the install.

It's six in one half dozen in the other unfortunately... Whatever way you decide to go, be sure to splice the wires properly. If you can and have the time, using heat shrink tubing and soldering the wires is the best. Although, in the 10~ years I've been installing car stereos, I've had pretty good luck at twisting the wires together and using electrical tape on them. Once I tape each individual set of wires, I normally go back and tie both the rear speaker wires (so green and pruple sets) and tape those 4 together so that they are in a pack. Do the same for the white and grays, and then I do it for the power and grounds too.

Your other option would be to find a junkyard Jeep or someone parting out a wiring harness that would be able to cut you off the factory Jeep plug and then you could splice that back into your wiring... At that point, you're probably just better off getting a Jeep to universal and going that route.

Hope that helps....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.