Questions on wiring my TFI Coil - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Questions on wiring my TFI Coil

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Questions on wiring my TFI Coil

Iím doing the team Rush mod plus adding the TFI coil. I apologize for this question if it's been answered in the past but I canít seem to find my answer in the various Team Rush threads. The following thread (in the FAQ section) seems like it would have the answer but the pictures no longer work in it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...w-pics-586158/

Anyway, I have purchased the TFI coil and pigtail and want to wire it in. Hereís my coil with the connector next to it so I know on the pigtail that red is + and green is -.

Here is a picture of my stock coil as it currently sits in the jeep.

Here are my questions:

1. does the yellow wire in my harness connect to the negative side of the pigtail? I think it does but would like someone to confirm that.

2. notice that my coil connector has two yellow wires. One goes to the harness and the other goes to the component that Iíve circled that is attached to the coil bracket.

What is that component? It looks like an old canister type capacitor (looks like a condenser when we used to have points and a condenser). Or is this the famous resister everyone seems to ask about in all the threads on this subject? Do I need it? Because it will come off with the old coil bracket. So If I need it I need to find somewhere to mount it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

rocketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Yellow is hot, and green is ground (to the ICM)

Aren't those coils supposed to run at full 12V (without ballast resistor). If so, you will need a different power feed to coil as the stock feed has a resistor
Unread 09-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Your other component is a condenser to suppress radio noise
Unread 09-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Old4x! I disconnected the coil connector (and the wire going to the condenser), turned on the key and measure 11.73v across it with my meter. Then measured it across the battery terminals and got 12.8. So theres some drop but I assume I'm good. I need to drive it to work tomorrow so I'll wait until this weekend to change the coil and open the spark plug gaps.
Unread 09-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just to conclude this, I hooked it up as Old4x said and opened the plug gaps to .045. Reset the timing, used the vacuum gage and readjusted the MC2150 and the jeep runs like a top. Didn't put the condenser back in but am not getting any radio noise.

On to the next thing (likely dealing with an exhaust leak).
Unread 09-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Hope you are running 7 - 8 mm wires (preferably 8).

Increasing gap on plugs requires upgradd wires.

Glad to hear you got it running.
Unread 09-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, got the 8mm wires that are stock for a 1986 F150.

Thanks for your help! You kept me from wiring my coil backward and frying it.
Unread 09-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

For your amusement:

I had only temporarily mounted the coil so I wanted to do it properly. Used some L brackets and mounted it using the original coil mounting bolts on the block. I had trouble getting my hands in there so I removed the cap, rotor and cap adapter to give me some room.

I get it all done and put back together. I go to start the jeep and it cranks but doesn't even try to start. I look, make sure I have everything wired right and go try it again. Still nothing.

So I decide I need to take it all back apart. I walk over to the workbench to get my tools and notice the rotor sitting right where I put it.

Works great with the rotor back in the dizzy...
Unread 09-09-2013, 04:07 AM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The condenser is for am noise. I bet that the radio has noise without the cap in place. Personally I think Rush sounds great washed out by the ignition system noise!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.