Questions on shackles and winches. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Questions on shackles and winches.

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-18-2002, 08:57 PM   #1
yj@vt

Questions on shackles and winches.

Hey guys/girls, I'm new here, so first off, nice to meet you all. I had two questions. First of all, is it hard to install lift shackles on front and rear of my YJ. Secondly, my grandfather has an old Ramsey winch on the front of his CJ. Can I make this work on my jeep, and if so, will I have to get heavy duty springs in the front of my jeep or anything. Someone told me I might, as the winch weighs a fair amount. Thats it for right now I guess. If you get a chance check out my webpage. Worst stuck I have ever had. Oh well, later on guys/girls.

Needs Mods:)
yj@vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2002, 07:52 AM   #2
V8wrangler_idaho

you should be able to make the wench work fine on the front of your jeep. Im sure that they make a mount to mount it up there. You should be fine with the springs that you have up there if it makes is sag some up on the frount you could go with some over load shocks On the frount. or just add a leaf spring to the frount. Both are pretty simple. and on the shackel lift on the back of the jeep pretty simple. Best thing for you to do is buy new bolts for the shackels on the back. Its easyer to cut the bolts off back there then to take it off. but other then that very simple

93 wrangler 8 inch SOA SRS suspention lift 35/12.50 Mt. efi 350 700r4 tranny np 205 t case dana 44s front and rear. lots of extras.
V8wrangler_idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2002, 11:29 AM   #3
PoorFool
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know much about the winch, but I do on the shackles.

If they are for lift, don't do it. If you really plan to wheel, and that's all the lift you have, you'll hate them. I had 2" lift shackles on my 94 for 90 days before I rammed one into a whole and bent a spring. I always thought that I was a cautious enough driver to avoid that, but was wheeling in snow and the hole was full of it. Also, if they don't bend your springs, they well drag and catch on every little thing. I had problems making it through obstacles with lift shackles that I had previously conquered easily in stock form. Just my opinion, but I'm sure others share it.

www.kcjeepclub.org
PoorFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2002, 11:32 AM   #4
PoorFool
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Forgot to mention ease of install. If you're going to replace shackles, get the kind that bolt together. The welded ones can be a bear to get over the bushings. I actually ground my bushings down for mine to fit. Then when I went back to stock shackles I had to buy new bushings. That's an easy $75 I didn't really want to spend.

www.kcjeepclub.org
PoorFool is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.