Questions on shackles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Questions on shackles

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 10-21-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
07lane40
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Questions on shackles

Okay guys, i have a couple questions.

I am going to get a 2" BDS lift and im wondering about shackles. I am going to get 5/8" boom shackles for the rear to clear the military wraps.

I have the 6 cyl and an old warn winch like the 8274-50 and its a heavy sucker. is it an okay idea to get 1" shackles for the front to level out the jeep?

I guess my actual question is - is it okay to have longer shackles in the front than in the rear? I'm not talking squirrely high but just a little longer to counter the weight over the front end.

or should i just get matching booms in the front?

Thanks!

07lane40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

i have never heard of anyone doing that. i would just get matching ones. when I bought my jeep years ago it had a crappy HF winch and a 130lb (no kidding) bumper on the front. even with that it wasn't too noticeable (as far as sagging). so you'll be fine.
jbeebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
Treasure
1993 YJ Wrangler 

it wont harm anything to have two different sizes, however unless your leaf springs are very worn/weak it shouldn't sag with the new shackles.(because new shackles will change the angle on the springs and put more tension on them hopefully causing them to be stiff enough to stay at the correct height even with the fatty winch)
Treasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #4
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeebe View Post
i have never heard of anyone doing that. i would just get matching ones. when I bought my jeep years ago it had a crappy HF winch and a 130lb (no kidding) bumper on the front. even with that it wasn't too noticeable (as far as sagging). so you'll be fine.
i just read a thread on the first page today where a few people said they did it.
Unread 10-21-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
07lane40
2005 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the help guys, i thought it sounded kinda odd but i would like the the suspension to have as much available up travel as possible without going crazy.

with the stock springs my bumpstops are literally an inch from the axle and its rough. I just want to make sure that i have room to flex up.
07lane40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bds , boomerang shackles

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.