questions on lockers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > questions on lockers

Corbeau Seats & Harness from CCOR!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 02-04-2002, 09:36 PM   #1
iamthemellowman

questions on lockers

I bet there's a faq on this somewhere...or there should be. Got real stuck the other day, and killed what i had left of the stock lsd sheeit. Now, I've been reading,, and I hear the detroit locker is not good for street use? Hey i don't mind if my butt wiggles when i give it the go juice.. whats the characteristics that make this 'bad' for street use? meaning, i know what a locker does, but what does it mean in the way the jeep rides/drives etc.

Ok, so I'm really not interested in any type of lsd with clutches. .but what about the ones with gears? are they the in-between of clutches and full on lockers? what's a good quality unit?

Now, another thing, I've notice the price is about 450 or so to 650 for various diffs,,,
I saw this ad in quadratec for the 'evolution series super 35 rear axle kit' This comes with beefed axles, new bearings and seals, shims, new wheel studs... and a detroit locker!!! ..though it calls it 'an exclusive detroit locker' so not sure what that means. all that for 900 bucks.. hey not too shabby i'm thinking? what do y'all think of that?

hmm tough decision ...I don't think i'll be able to really beef the jeep out for several years as i'm probably going to be in college (grad) soon. So, i'm just looking for something i can use with the stock axle housing and get some reliable performance...

it's soo not fun with an open diff!

Unread 02-04-2002, 09:48 PM   #2
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

This is what I use - Costs around $360 and utilizes your stock carrier.

Powertrax

You will get many opinions on lockers so be prepared!
BTW - the prices on the site I posted seem high - I'm sure you can get it cheaper somewhere local to you.
Unread 02-04-2002, 10:15 PM   #3
iamthemellowman

mmm 'designed for the do it yourselfer' hehe, pretty slick. I need to determine exactly what my diff is.. i'm pretty sure it was lsd before..

how was the install? any noticeable amounts of backlash?
Unread 02-04-2002, 10:29 PM   #4
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally posted by iamthemellowman:
mmm 'designed for the do it yourselfer' hehe, pretty slick. I need to determine exactly what my diff is.. i'm pretty sure it was lsd before..

Mine is installed in an AMC 20 open carrier and was a real pain. We had to remove the carrier and the ring gear to get the cross shaft out. I've heard this is not typical with other diffs - in fact a couple guys I know have them installed in the D/35 diffs and said the install was really easy.
I've found mine to be a bit noisy on the road, again I'm told this is not typical. I am happy with the locker so far...
Unread 02-04-2002, 11:18 PM   #5
dennisuello
1997 TJ Wrangler 

you have Dana 35 rearend, the install shoud be pretty easy (no need to pull the carrier out).
LockRight lockers are pretty good (for $230 that is. )

Quote:
Originally posted by iamthemellowman:

Unread 02-05-2002, 01:52 PM   #6
bobznew

I use this setup with my YJ:

Lock-rite in the rear
No-slip in the front

Could not ask for anything better. Amazing traction, and very little handling problems.

This was the setup that the Powertrax tech. assistant recommended for me.

HTH
Unread 02-05-2002, 02:36 PM   #7
moabe

if you are smart hit the cowtown jeep forum and pick up the detroit ez locker for $100 to go in your d35...you get the normal swirve at accelleration and decelleration. but for $100 ya cant beat it
Unread 02-05-2002, 04:47 PM   #8
Tailgummer

Any true auto locker such as Lock Rite, Detroit with have the same handling characteristics. ie the shorter your wheelbase the more noticable it is. My old M38A1 with a detroit would almost change lanes with rapid throttle movements. A YJ is not nearly as bad, but with a D35C rear axle, using a Detroit would be overkill. The housing and axles are not that strong. If you plan to keep the D35C I'd suggest either a Lock Rite, EZ locker or similar. They will hold up as well as the D35. If you can go a few more bucks I'd suggest pulling the D35 and installing a '95 or newer Ford Explorer 8.8". You get disc brakes and a much stronger axle. You can then install an ARB (my preference) or a Detroit. The 8.8 conversion is simple and the prices can still be reasonable but are going up as the word gets around. Don't put an ARB in a D35C, It will not hold up under any significant use. The D35C housing flexes too much for the ARB. ARB has beefed up their unit but it still does not survive well in the flexible housing.
Just my .02
Good Luck
Chuck
WWW.4x4xnorthwest.com
Tailgummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.