Questions on body work - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Questions on body work

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 10-09-2002, 09:41 PM   #1
WranglerYJ94

Questions on body work

The grille area on my Jeep is very nicked up b/c they guy before me must have followed an 18 wheeler for hours and hours...it looks like little dried up bug guts, but they arent. they are little nicks and dings in the metal which are white...and my Jeep is black..it looks like crap. I am going to re-do my grille area this weekend probably and need to know the best way to do it. What supplies do I need? AFter i get my grille off, should I sand it down real good? Then what? What all layers of primer, paint, etc will I need? Will glossy black spray paint wear off and look crappy? Basically I just need to know how to do this since this is basically my first body work ive ever done. step by step and supply list would be greatly appreciated
Thanks yall,
Yall are the best
John

Flowmaster exhaust
Lights
Lotsa 'stuff'
WranglerYJ94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2002, 11:18 PM   #2
DanyJeep

tricky stuff

body work is very tricky!!!

first thing's first you have to have good quality paint and primer because if there is rust it will come back with crap quality primer.
this also depends where you live (winters & salt on the roads).
if you have a lot of chips you're probably gona have to sand everything down properly so the primer will do its job and the paint will coat and stick properly. to be honest its better to get it done at a body shop, this depending on the quality you want.
DanyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2002, 01:10 PM   #3
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Why paint it? Rock-guard it instead .. it will last alot longer

But seriously ...

Best thing to do is to pull your grill off, visit a sand-blaster and have it bead-blasted smooth. Wash it down, smooth it out (if required) with a thin coat of body filler .. prime it, paint it. Wet sand it down, repaint. Wet sand it down, repaint. Once you are happy with that, a couple coats of clear topcoat and you are ready to put it back together ..

If you have never done body work before, see if you can "volunteer" for a couple of weekends at a body shop .. many body shops would be happy to have a second set of hands available that they don't have to pay.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2002, 05:26 PM   #4
YJ_90

mine was beat to crap also, I just bought a rust-stop paint sprayed the crap out of it and put on a stainless grille over lay. Looks pretty sweet, and i check under it every now and then no rust yet.
YJ_90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads
  • help on body work - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (7 replies)
  • body work - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (2 replies)
  • body work - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (2 replies)
  • Body Work - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (3 replies)
  • Body Work - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (3 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.