JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Questions About Shackles, Powder Coat VS Bedliner, and More Support In Rear Bumper (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/questions-about-shackles-powder-coat-vs-bedliner-more-support-rear-bumper-1339384/)

zackman2091 03-06-2012 09:59 PM

Questions About Shackles, Powder Coat VS Bedliner, and More Support In Rear Bumper
 
I did not really know whether or not to post multiple threads to ask these questions but let me start

A year ago i got a 4 inch bds spring lift done. over the past year my back springs have sagged the .5 inches ish now with this happening when i go down the road and hit bumps my spring bottoms out where the spring connects to the shackle it hits the frame from over extending. Would getting a bigger shackle fix this issue.


Next questions

I have rear bumper with a swing out and front bumper that i have bed lined (spray on 8$ a can stuff) these all seemed to have surface rusted and i have done this each year and same thing, I got the chance to get it powder coated for 50 dollars an item, would this last longer than a bed liner, Should i possibly think of paint on bed liner? What are your opinions?

Last Question

I have a rear bumper with a rear tire swing out on it (nates4x4 brand), with a 35 it seems that this has a lot of bounce in it when going down the street, which in turn has caused problems with the back of the frame because of rusting out is there any way that i could try and stable this out. I have emailed nate and he said something about a cross member but never got back to me, Anyone know something that could help?


Thanks for helping out

dillonjm 03-06-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zackman2091
I did not really know whether or not to post multiple threads to ask these questions but let me start

A year ago i got a 4 inch bds spring lift done. over the past year my back springs have sagged the .5 inches ish now with this happening when i go down the road and hit bumps my spring bottoms out where the spring connects to the shackle it hits the frame from over extending. Would getting a bigger shackle fix this issue.

Next questions

I have rear bumper with a swing out and front bumper that i have bed lined (spray on 8$ a can stuff) these all seemed to have surface rusted and i have done this each year and same thing, I got the chance to get it powder coated for 50 dollars an item, would this last longer than a bed liner, Should i possibly think of paint on bed liner? What are your opinions?

Last Question

I have a rear bumper with a rear tire swing out on it (nates4x4 brand), with a 35 it seems that this has a lot of bounce in it when going down the street, which in turn has caused problems with the back of the frame because of rusting out is there any way that i could try and stable this out. I have emailed nate and he said something about a cross member but never got back to me, Anyone know something that could help?

Thanks for helping out

As far as the rear cross member, you're gonna need to fix the rot with either a new cross member piece or patching what you have then tie it to the frame better than it is stock. You'll want to use some l-type brackets. You can world some in or drill some holes and bolt them up. Personally I recommend welding.

Google rear bumper frame tie-in for ideas on how to make the brackets, or you can just buy some pre made ones.

Anticanman 03-06-2012 10:33 PM

I think getting some boomerang shackles fix the issue better. They allow the military wrap to clear the rear crossmember.

And about the rotting crossmember, replacing it with some angle iron might work. It kind of worked for Mr.B!

timatoe 03-06-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zackman2091 (Post 13190735)

A year ago i got a 4 inch bds spring lift done. over the past year my back springs have sagged the .5 inches ish now with this happening when i go down the road and hit bumps my spring bottoms out where the spring connects to the shackle it hits the frame from over extending. Would getting a bigger shackle fix this issue.

That doesn't make sense to me. Can you take a picture of the rear shackle area? What part number are on the springs?


As for the bumpers, I'd powder coat them if you can do it for $50.

AtoZ and MORE both sell replacement cross members, I'd go that route and of course fix any other rust on the frame rails. I'm wondering if rust is part of your issue on the springs too.

zackman2091 03-06-2012 11:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by timatoe (Post 13190909)
That doesn't make sense to me. Can you take a picture of the rear shackle area? What part number are on the springs?


As for the bumpers, I'd powder coat them if you can do it for $50.

AtoZ and MORE both sell replacement cross members, I'd go that route and of course fix any other rust on the frame rails. I'm wondering if rust is part of your issue on the springs too.

What is the difference between powder coat and bed line?

I plan on fixing the rust this summer by using these
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=85961

And now i will start to use the frame tie-in those seem to be an easy fix.

THE PICTURE IS NOT MY JEEP IT WAS AN EXAMPLE

Where the spring and the shackle connect it hits my frame, as in when im driving down the street and i hit decent bumps it over extends as the axle goes up it pushes the shackle back, as it should but it goes to far and hit hard on the frame

I figured new shackles would fix the issue but my dad did not want to go that route and he wants to just get new springs.

Anticanman 03-06-2012 11:20 PM

Boomerang shackles will fix the contact issue. PM BESRK or VACJ5 for pricing on a set. I run them, they're great and clear my BDS springs from hitting that crossmember.

Siva283 03-07-2012 05:54 AM

I have boom shackles and have no problems with my BDS springs hitting the frame.

dillonjm 03-07-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zackman2091

What is the difference between powder coat and bed line?

I plan on fixing the rust this summer by using these
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=85961

And now i will start to use the frame tie-in those seem to be an easy fix.

THE PICTURE IS NOT MY JEEP IT WAS AN EXAMPLE

Where the spring and the shackle connect it hits my frame, as in when im driving down the street and i hit decent bumps it over extends as the axle goes up it pushes the shackle back, as it should but it goes to far and hit hard on the frame

I figured new shackles would fix the issue but my dad did not want to go that route and he wants to just get new springs.

Like said above. Boomerang shackles are designed specifically to address this issue.

Don't replace your springs. You have some of the best springs on the market already.

timatoe 03-07-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zackman2091 (Post 13191016)
What is the difference between powder coat and bed line?

I plan on fixing the rust this summer by using these
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=85961

And now i will start to use the frame tie-in those seem to be an easy fix.

THE PICTURE IS NOT MY JEEP IT WAS AN EXAMPLE

Where the spring and the shackle connect it hits my frame, as in when im driving down the street and i hit decent bumps it over extends as the axle goes up it pushes the shackle back, as it should but it goes to far and hit hard on the frame

I figured new shackles would fix the issue but my dad did not want to go that route and he wants to just get new springs.

Powder coating is going to be far more weather proof than that crap spray can liner. I've had that stuff chip off even after a lot of prep time.

Like others have said booms will help the contact in the back.

See if you can get some pics of your actual set up and the part number on the springs.

zackman2091 03-07-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timatoe (Post 13192456)
Powder coating is going to be far more weather proof than that crap spray can liner. I've had that stuff chip off even after a lot of prep time.

Like others have said booms will help the contact in the back.

See if you can get some pics of your actual set up and the part number on the springs.

I will try and get pictures tomorrow if i remember

What is the difference between the boomerang and the straight ones

Can i powder coat after they have already been painted?

timatoe 03-08-2012 04:05 AM

The powder coater will sandblast anything to be coated.

The booms are bent to allow the spring to compress more prior to the shackle contacting the frame.

snag 03-08-2012 04:57 AM

pretty sure i saw on the bds site that they recomend booms with the military wrapped springs


The time now is 01:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.